FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poor MIG start

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14 10 7:59 pm    Post subject: Poor MIG start Reply with quote

I am running a relatively new Miller 251, still almost as pretty as the day she came out of the crate and for all practical purposes, in top shape, I think. Periodically, when starting a weld, I get a pop pop followed by a burn back to the contact tip requiring either clean up or a whole new tip. The heat and feed speed are set close to or at the parameters set by the cheat sheet on the machine with only a tweak or two difference depending on what I need. The problem occurs maybe once in 50 starts using the same settings as the previously fine 49 welds / starts. The only thing I can come up with is I possibly have hesitated slightly when triggering the gun or it was past time to clean and dip the nozzle. If it hasn't burned back into the tip, a redo on the start works and all is well. Any ideas? It has on a few occasions been the deciding factor on the start time of beer thirty when faced with replacing the tip so, no bueno.
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14 10 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless I have an older MillerMatic 250 which still runs like a champ. On occasion when I change wire spools I will experience pretty much the same type of situation but it is more consistant. It was handed down to me that when that happens, you need to tighten the tension some on the spool wheels. Not saying this might be your problem, but would be a easy simple fix if it is.

Good Luck!
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15 10 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had that happen. I always blame it on having loops in my whip (circles, or what ever the terminology) creating too much resistace in the liner, keeping the wire from moving freely. Could be coupled with the problem mentioned by TrailerBuilder.
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15 10 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a good point Hell Fire Grill. I have that issue as well sometimes when my lead is not laying out straight and the liner is binding up some. These machines can be so touchy sometimes, just like my 3 yr old, the smallest little thing upsets their world and its hell to pay for you.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15 10 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic job guys, all you have to do around here is just ask. Ya'll nailed it. I had forgotten my drive rolls were suspect in some other matters and sure 'nuff, upon further investigation, my lead ( whip, I like that) and I were in positions that would make a contortionist green with envy at the times this occurred. Thank you. Very Happy Good to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: