FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Corned Beef - looking for a brine recipie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15 10 6:45 pm    Post subject: Corned Beef - looking for a brine recipie Reply with quote

I had a customer back out on a few [3]briskets, so the wife says "isnt that what corned beef is made from"...yup! This will be my first attempt - I know if I then smoke it, it will be considered pastrami - I am going to try both braised and smoked. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
I have surfed the web, but want some Ringers advice here!
[ I already smoked one of the briskets for freezer filling, sat it next to another 1/2 I had in stock....looking forward to a hard snowy winter, I hope - I plow snow commercially!]
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Shaymus
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15 10 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C/P from another site. It's for several briskets , so you can reduce.

25 pounds salt
12 ounces rock salt
2 pounds sugar
15 gallons water
pickling spice; optional

Corned beef brisket is simply a beef brisket, the same cut that is barbecued, that has been brined. A simple brine is: 25 pounds of salt, 12 ounces of rock salt peter, 2 pounds of sugar, and 15 gallons of water. Boil all ingredients except the brisket, skim, and let cool. Once cooled the briskets are placed in the brine and held under with a weight. Cover. The brisket will be ready for use in seven to ten days.

I'm sure more people will chime in as I have not cooked one yet.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15 10 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaned up a 13.5 pound packer - took some of the trimmings and 1 chunk of pure meat and diced for some Brisket based burgers tonight!
I did come across that brine Shaymus, am hoping to find one with some added flavors....I do appreciate the post!!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Rojellio Es Caliente
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15 10 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most folks on here go with 1 tbsp Tenderquick {curing salt} per lb of meat. For spice many use Pickling Spice. If I do Corned Beef, I will use the Pickling spice from the bulk spice at my local boutique health food grocery store. {bulk spice is one of the few things i buy at such establishments}

Smoke Ringer "Harry Nutzack" is the local Meat curing expert. If you do a forum search, one of Harry's meat curing posts would be quite good. Big Orson & SoEzzy arent slackers in this dept either.

Alton Brown has a recipe that calls for saltpeter http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/corned-beef-recipe/index.html He also did a show about it, which might be available on YouTube.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16 10 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to go with a version of Altons spices - I used some tenderquick, some regular salt. I had some pickling spices in a jar, and most of what Alton called for seperately- also added some garlic and a bunch of peppecorns based on a different recipe.
Dinner was the burger meat I chopped - the texture was a welcome change, the flavor was intense! Probably the freshest most flavorful ground meat I have had in some time. Made 8 mimi's out of the pound of "scraps" made some chili cheese fries to round things out!

Brine is cooled, I injected the flats, the point is si irregular most of the brine was just running out...I figure it can run right back in!

My boy's come home from college for Thanksgiving - when the Bird runs out, we will have plenty of sammie meat!
Thanks for the input guy's!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: