FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thanksgiving Turkey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burnt Endz
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03 10 3:18 am    Post subject: Thanksgiving Turkey Reply with quote

I've done some looking through old posts and it seems to be a 50/50 toss of the coin as to whether or not turkeys are good smoked. Some seem to say smoke them the day before.....interesting idea. What would be the preferred method of warming that up for the meal?

Anyway...I was thinking about brining a bird and smoking it in my vertical smoker.....I really like the butterfly beer brine chicken recipe that is at the top of the page on the sticky....would that work for a turkey too?

Anxious to hear everyone's thoughts....yeah or neigh?
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03 10 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always smoked turkey the day before and let them sit overnight. The smoke seems to infuse the meat better. Then, I serve them at picnics cold and carved for sammichs. Thanksgiving is always roasted with a sausage stuffing and all the trimmings. Smile

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
Pit Boss
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03 10 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a reminder. It isn't a great idea to stuff your turkey. It is WAY too easy to make someone sick...or way too easy to overcook you bird.

Remember if you stuff the bird, the center of the stuffing needs to register 165. To get there the bird itself will be very overdone.

For a moist bird you will have underdone stuffing. Will people for sure get sick? Well, no...but it is a definite risk. Salmonella or food poisoning isn`t something I want to knowingly subject my family to.
Burnt Endz
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03 10 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks....I don't plan on stuffing the turkey. From what I've read the smoke penetrates the bird more if it's not stuffed.
Inner10
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04 10 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just as a reminder. It isn't a great idea to stuff your turkey. It is WAY too easy to make someone sick...or way too easy to overcook you bird.

+1

MMMMmmmm dry overcooked turkey....just like mom use to make. Laughing
Burnt Endz
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09 10 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smoked a turkey Sunday. I believe it was about a 12 pound bird.
I used the same rub that the beer brine chicken recipe calls for that is at the top of the "chicken" thread.

Smoked it with applewood chips for about 4-5 hours. I injected it with butter garlic injector. I did not brine it because it was "enhanced".

Prior to applying the rub....I rubbed it down with EVO and then applied the rub.....the skin of the turkey was BLACK....which didn't really bother me because I don't eat the skin anyway....but why was it not crispy and golden?
Brian Briggs
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16 10 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did Aliens huricane turkey and it was da bomb diggity! Best damn piece of turkey I ever put in my mouth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: