FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Single Pass vs Multi-Pass

View previous topic :: View next topic  
McSmoke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24 10 8:09 am    Post subject: Single Pass vs Multi-Pass Reply with quote

Hi all,

I currently have a Millermatic 135 which is rated for 1/8" with solid wire and 3/16" with flux core. I have allways ran gas in it and have had great sucess welding large nuts bolts ect. to 1/8" plate.

With the build I am getting ready to start (Yoder Wichita clone) I will be using 1/4" steel. I feel with beveling both the pipe and the end plates (using gas) I will have sufficient penetration to last a lifetime being it is not a high stressed area. Would you all agree?

And or would you multi-pass it or suggest something else?

For the legs I was going to use lighter material but I need this safe as well. How would you all suggest approaching this with my current welder? Or is it not viable?

I could use 1/8" on the end plates if there would not be a loss of efficiency in doing so.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice.
John
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24 10 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McSmoke, I would stick with the 1/4'' on the sides but I always build heavy. As far as the amount of passes are concerned, going by your machines specs I would say multiple passes are in order, I am no wire feed welder but I would think even at 3/16 plate and a 135 machine a multiple pass would be S.O.P.

Hybrid Cooker
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24 10 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McSmoke

I also have a Millermatic 135, it doesnt get used much because I mainly burn with my Miller 250, but I love that little 135. I have welded 1/4 many many times without any problems at all. Ive done flux and gas with the machine and both are sufficient welds with no concerns. I normally turn my heat on the #4 setting and run a little bit wider pass on my welds. If you can bevel your material, I dont think you will ever have a thing to worry about. The only down fall to the 135 is the duty cycle, I believe its 35%, so on the thicker material with the high heat setting, you will hit that duty cycle mark quickly, but just let the machine cool naturally and reset its self and move on. A lesson I learned, you cant turn the machine off and the cycle reset quicker, once turned back on, it continues from the same place as when you shut it off. Just be patient, crank your heat and weld away. I have actually thought of bringing my 135 out of hiding for my upcoming build because they are so easy to use and weld so nice.

Good luck on your build, post some pics as you progress.
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24 10 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bevel and do multiple passes if it were me. Or if you bevel both sides in a >< type pattern you could do 1 pass on each side if you wanted to. But if just welding 1 side 3 passes would probably be best. 1 in the middle and then 2 split on either side of the original pass.

I am not too familiar with the 135, but if it reaches its duty cycle and the fan continues to run I would think this would cool the machine down faster than turning it off. But I dont know if the fan continues to run when the thermal sensor is tripped.
McSmoke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24 10 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks K.A.M., TrailerBuilder, ggarner. As allways much appreciated!

I will bevel and multipass, much cheaper than a new welder Very Happy

Thanks,
John
alldaymckay

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29 10 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should be fine. stitch more frequently on the inside and run a wide weave with a short sickout on the outside seam. no need to excessively bevel your steel, just enough so your weld will be flush in seam
mrcustomsteel
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04 10 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever duty cycle out your machine to the point that it shuts off on you it will never quite be the same, kind of like a breaker. Keep a count in your head on how long you are running continuously on a pass relative to the duty cycle graph provided on your machine. I have a Lincoln 135 that I duty cycled out before and it quits on me a lone gime before it should.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: