FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Different Rods

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ironmind

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14 10 2:23 am    Post subject: Different Rods Reply with quote

Just wanted to ask this to people with more experience than me. I bought some 6013, 3/32" rods (weldcote metals) from the welding store to work on a smoker build. I'm only using 11 ga so 6013 seems to work rather well. Last Sunday I ran out of rods to when to a chain store and bought some 6013, 3/32" rods (hobart) and I must say there is was a huge difference in the rods. For some reason the hobart rods were spitting and splatting a lot; the rods from weldcote metals were very smooth and the flux came off easier. I though all rods had to be made to the same standards and therefore would burn the same. I don't mean to sound like I'm promotion or looking down on any manufacturer here, just stating my novice experience. Has anyone else had this experience between different manufacturers?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14 10 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironmind, I have run into the same scenario especially with Forney. I cannot stand them. I only buy rods from my welding supply store, they push WeldMark. I love the way the flux flows with them. On the few occasions that I dropped the ball ran low and had to get rods from a box store I ended up giving them to my son and let him use them at his work and Monday I was at my welding supply store stocking up.

Hybrid Cooker
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14 10 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find with rod you get what you pay for and most of the time you pay more at the box stores for a lesser quality rod.
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14 10 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the Radnor (airgas house brand) as well as hobart and firepower.

The radnor rods have slag which is easy to remove on their 6013 rods, and there is not a lot of spatter.

The hobart rods have slag which is more difficult to remove, and there is more spatter, but I find that while welding these rods work great. The puddle is easier to manipulate especially for vertical up.

The firepower i have only used the 7014 and I find that they run great and the slag just peels off on its own most of the time.

Overall I prefer the hobart rods to the radnor ones for several reasons. When using identical rods, the radnor brand requires more amperage than the hobart to get the same weld appearance/characteristics. So welding on thinner material such as 12ga is easier with the hobart rods. I would say the radnor rods run more like a drag rod preferring a short arc, while the hobart seem to prefer a longer arc.

When doing a vertical up with both brands I noticed that the weld produced from the radnor rods was much more likely to droop, and the hobart stayed right were i put them and stacked up nicely.

There is definitely a difference from brand to brand, so find one that works best for you.

Last edited by ggarner on Tue Dec 14 10 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ironmind

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14 10 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

Glad I'm not the only one.. Again being novice it's still hard to believe that identical rods types from different manufacturers are that different to weld with. I agree you just have to find what works for you and go with it.
Stacked smoker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14 10 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of package did they come in??? Were they in a moisture resistant package? Its been a while since I have arc welded but I remember my dad putting rods in the oven to dry them out. Moisture gets into the coating and it can fall off and they wont weld as good. Im sure some one knows the tech explanation of this. Not sure if this was the case but something to think about. At a shop I used to work at they had a old refridgerator with a 90 watt light bulb in it with all the rods in it to keep them dry.
Lang 84 deluxe
Twin stacked reverse flow cheese smoker
Weber grill
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14 10 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

60's do not need to be baked and for the most part do not come in moisture proof packing. Low Hydrogen rods need to be kept baked only for spec welds and normally come in plastic wrap if you buy small quantities. As long as you keep your rods dry and do not let them get damp you are good to go for cooker building. The flux coating on some brands will play a huge part in their performance.
Never store your 60's with your 70's in the same container. I was always taught this is bad for the 70's as they will pick up the moisture from the 60 series rods.

Hybrid Cooker
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14 10 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is how i store my rod
http://www.weldfabulous.com/Rod-Guard-14-Welding-Rod-Storage/Filler-Metals/Stick-Electrodes/Accessories--p7643884.html
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14 10 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another tip if you suspect the rods to be damp is to turn down the amperage a bit and then stick it to a piece of metal for a few seconds. If they are wet when the steel core heats up you will see steam come off the rod. I live right by the ocean, and the only rods i keep in a sealed container with an 0 ring are the 7018s. The rest are just kept in the plastic tube or the cardboard box that they came in. But i do keep them in a garage, not out in the elements.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14 10 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Lincoln AC likes only Lincoln AC (7018) rods, HD or elsewhere, go figure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: