FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eye safety

View previous topic :: View next topic  
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14 10 7:09 am    Post subject: Eye safety Reply with quote

I woke up this morning at 3am with what I thought was ark burn (ruff sandy feeling ). I didnít think it was ark burn because I wore my hood when I was tacking. I also wore my hood or glasses when grinding. I went to the eye doctor this morning it turned out to be a small piece if metal. The $hity thing was that they had to use a drill to remove the rust ring that really F N sucked. I think I will go by the welding supply and buy some clear goggles
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14 10 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use a full face shield, but might start using goggles under it.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14 10 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denny, I have had that procedure and it really bites. Heal up my Friend. I know the walk, You go all day and then that minor irritation and you think what happened? Then it goes away then its back and so on and so on. Then it gets to the eye closing stage cause its working its way out and rusting. My biggest problem is I rarely use my guard on my grinder and when the sparks hit my shirt they fly up and under the shield or goggles or glasses.

Hybrid Cooker
McSmoke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14 10 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My eyes are like magnets, I have gotten metal in them wearing goggles AND a face shield at the same time. If it hadnt have happened to me I would never believe it lol.

There is no such thing as to much PPE.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14 10 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto to all, guys. I don't know what the answer is aside from taking up cooking pastries instead. I wear my old beater hood and have my eyeglasses ( tho not safety sized). Wait too long to figure it isn't arc burn and next thing you know, the eye doc has to grind / drill the lil ogler as it has grown itself over the object.
McSmoke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14 10 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of our guys in the sheetmetal shop have been buying these. http://www.raygear.com/

Very nice shield!
killswitch505
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15 10 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Mc i might have to give this a try
McSmoke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15 10 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killswitch505 wrote:
thanks Mc i might have to give this a try

You welcome man!

Someday they will invent a shield like that and it can be used for grinding, cutting torch and arc welding so a person is allways protected.
ggarner
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16 10 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently my phone needs some protection from grinding shavings as well. I got a fancy new phone in august, and usually keep it in my pocket and wear ear buds so that I can listen to music and they double as ear protection for grinding etc.

Well I was noticing some black magnetic dust collecting on the stainless steel screen on the earpiece of my phone and always blew it off and never thought much about it. Well a couple weeks ago the speaker on the back of the phone (for speaker phone, ringer, etc) started sounding like it was blown out. So i brought it into Sprint yesterday and in less than an hour they took the phone apart and replaced the speaker with a new one for free. Well last night it started sounding blown out again so I took it in this morning. When I went to pick it up the tech brought me out the 1 day old speaker and it was totally covered in magnetic steel shavings from cutting and grinding metal! HAHA there is a super fine screen over the rear speaker but apparently these filings are still smaller than that.

I guess from now on I will keep my phone on the counter!

More on topic I always wear either safety glasses or a face shield, but also have the luxury of wearing contact lenses for a 3rd line of defense against eye piercing metal!
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16 10 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Face it boys there aint no sure thing, besides cooking pasries for a living, that will keep 100% of the sh!t out of your eyes. Those big face shields just get fogged up, sctatched up, burned up then you cant see what your doing which in turn means your not making the boss any money. All you can do is try your best to be carfull about what your doing and wear saftey glasses or a hood.

Be carefull out there so you can get home every night.
Idaho_Roper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16 10 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...I have been there too, if the sob would have said "don't blink" one more time, I think I would have taken the drill from him and shoved it into his eye. As much as one tries, it always seems like eventually some little chunk of something makes it around your protection.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16 10 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggarner wrote:
Apparently my phone needs some protection from grinding shavings as well. I got a fancy new phone in august, and usually keep it in my pocket and wear ear buds so that I can listen to music and they double as ear protection for grinding etc.

Well I was noticing some black magnetic dust collecting on the stainless steel screen on the earpiece of my phone and always blew it off and never thought much about it. Well a couple weeks ago the speaker on the back of the phone (for speaker phone, ringer, etc) started sounding like it was blown out. So i brought it into Sprint yesterday and in less than an hour they took the phone apart and replaced the speaker with a new one for free. Well last night it started sounding blown out again so I took it in this morning. When I went to pick it up the tech brought me out the 1 day old speaker and it was totally covered in magnetic steel shavings from cutting and grinding metal! HAHA there is a super fine screen over the rear speaker but apparently these filings are still smaller than that.

I guess from now on I will keep my phone on the counter!

More on topic I always wear either safety glasses or a face shield, but also have the luxury of wearing contact lenses for a 3rd line of defense against eye piercing metal!

Purchasing my third phone in as many months, the salesgirl could just not quite comprehend what one would be doing to trash that many phones in so short of time with the exception of water damage which was not the problem. Heck, I keep it safe and sound right in my pocket next to my other valuables Wink She went to swap out the sim card in the battery compartment and a decent size pile of grinding dust poured out onto the counter. Quite a cutie she were, a future Wreckless date she wasn't. Surely, she wanted no part of where it is that I may be spending my time. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: