FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a good smoker design/plan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcuswilly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15 05 11:22 pm    Post subject: Looking for a good smoker design/plan Reply with quote

New to the forum
Would like some input as to a good smoker design.
I am from Canada and selection is small in the usual stores

Would like to make a fairly large one that is flexible to use for various types of BBQ

I have access to a metal fabrication shop so building should be relatively easily.
mds2
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15 05 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where I got the plans for my smoker. I made a few modification to them but they are pretty good and best of all they are free.

http://www.compuvices.com/plans.shtml

The Saucy Lads BBQ Team
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15 05 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the one I am currently working on......

Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16 05 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire box 20x20x20
Grill section 20x40x20
Tower section 20x40x20
All Stainless Steel
There is a sliding steel plate that sits just above the firebox opening and extends to the tower section. It is in three sections. When I am using the grill section as a smoker, I pull out one of the sections. The two plates pushed together act as a drip pan and give me fairly even heat through the grill section. When I use it as a grill I move the plates to the bottom to act as a fire protection plate for the bottom. When I want to use just the tower section, I put the third plate in and it seals the grill section off from the firebox. The heat from the firebox runs along the underside of the three plates and exits at the opening of the tower section. In this position, the grill section acts like a oven with very little smoke in it. I am going to try a pizza in it when my kids come back from vacation. The tower section has four racks in it or they can be removed to allow for hanging meat or jerky. If I pull all of the racks out of the tower, the cabinet is large enough for a gas turkey fryer (I have not tried that one yet.) One last benefit, because the fire box is 20x20 and flat, it makes a great bean cooker or warming area for other things.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16 05 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus has some plans that are a good place to start! The propane tanks are readily available, and are of heavy gauge construction. Due to the climate in Florida, and my intentions to get a long term business started, we used stainless steel. Stainless is harder to work with, expensive to buy, and doesn't retain heat as well as heavy gauge steel. However, I have never been sorry, especially not having to dig out the paint can every so often! Crying or Very sad Stainless is also MUCH easier to keep clean Very Happy
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23 05 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my stainless smoker pit so far. I’m not done with it, but I keep telling myself that I love it. Drilling through thick stainless is like drilling cement with a dull bit. Lots of noise, dust and vibration, but very little impact. I switched to a cobalt bit and things are looking up. If you have someone build you a pit, I suggest stainless. If you are building your own, look for something easier to work with.
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23 05 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just joined and am in search of ideas and plans for my project smoker.

I am starting with a Stainless steel tank that is 25" x 6' and is a little over 1/7 inch thick. I also have a 30 gal stainless drum that I think will make a fire box. Needless to say this one will have to be trailer mounted.

It will be a long project but I hope to have it completed by next spring.

Pharaoh
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23 05 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pharaoh,

BBQMan has told me that stainless will move with the heat, and I should put some supports in my larger runs of metal to prevent this. Sounds reasonable and I believe him, so I would suggest the same to you. Fortify your doors and latches to lessen the movement. The vertical smoker we built my brother out of a stainless medical cabinet does move with the application on heat. You have to pry the door open once the heat starts going. After it has cooled, everything works fine and is matched up. A little bit of pre planning now may save you lots of headaches in the future.

When you are done....... send photos!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: