FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

STRAIGHT CUTS WITH A TORCH
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kayrondad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22 11 1:43 am    Post subject: STRAIGHT CUTS WITH A TORCH Reply with quote

Not sure if this fits here or the welding forum, so here goes.

The tanks I have recentely obtained are an eyesore to the neighbors (really not, but someone complained and the city gave me 7 days to move them). I have decided in order to get them in my garage that it is best to cut one that I will use for fire boxes and make three total smokers (one large for myself, one smaller trailer to sell so I can fund my large one adn one small one for a friend who wants one in his back yard).

My question is this, how the heck do I cut a straight line on a cylinder all the way around the beast? I am only semi-okay at cutting a straight line on flat sheet and this is 1/4" wall and I am still not even sure what my oxy/Ace settings should be to cut it "nice". Anyone gots some 411 to give to this ole boy?

Also, can anyone identify the approximate gallon capacity of these?

[img][/img]
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22 11 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use a pipe wrap or wrap around when marking out cut lines on pipe. Local welding or metal supplier should have them on hand. I'd use a 5" to 7" wide one for that size of pipe. A wrap around is basically just a straight edge for round material.
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22 11 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure the capacity of those tanks but you should get some good advice from this site. As for cutting the tanks, make darn sure you know what you are doing before you strike the torch. We really want you to be here to show us your completed projects. There are plenty of safe ways to purge a tank. Just make sure you are safe about it.

Unless you are K.A.M., you need to give yourself a little early birthday present. This is what I call a "cheater wheel". They are easy to use and allow for near perfect cuts. For a round tank, tack a thin strap around the circumference and let her rip.

kayrondad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22 11 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, that is cool....where do you find those wheels?

Tanks have been purged by the propane company i bought these from. There is still a good "garlic" smell throughout my neighborhood, but htey are clean of propane. In fact, my neighbor's ignorance caused us a sever war where she called us stupid and few other choice words due to her ignorance about propane and the smell. I can't wait to have some ribs and pig smoking and allow the aroma to get her mouth watering and then not offer her any of the goodness.......we think she is the one who reported us to the city and I have a mind to retaliate for her welfare fraud and state medical cheating self.....but I do not retaliate like that, instead, I build "yard art"- gonna take an old toilet and some other choice apparatus and plant flowers in them in my front yard adn call it "art". then the city can't do diddly!
kayrondad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22 11 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, I did the calculations and the tank sizes are approximately:

Large longer one (mine): 180 gallon
Narrow longer one (to be cut): 164 gallon
Fat hanging one (to sell): 133 gallon
hucks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22 11 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like the bigger tank is 250 gal the small standing looks lie 110 gal.from what i can tell from pics.i cut mine with a sawzall.it took 2 blades to cut
Bikeman59

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22 11 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good trick is to put the tank on a set of rollers, similar to a furniture dolley on it's back. That makes for turning the tank much easier, which makes controling the torch much easier. You can find more info on the roller trick somewhere in this site.
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22 11 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found this one on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/P-80-Panasonic-plasma-cutting-torch-roller-Guide-Wheel-/170527937271?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b441d2f7 It's not exactly like the one I have but close enough. Best money you'll ever spend.
kayrondad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22 11 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slapout- just purchased it!!! YEEEE Buddy!!! Lemme ask another question- when folks refer to the "double-reverse flow DP", what exactly is that? I wanna put that hanging tank across the back of the trailer, but not sure what folks are talking about when they say "plenum". How do the smoker stacks mount? so they protrude to the bottom of the cook chamber? I understand the "solid plate across the bottom" but how will this create reverse flow with two smoke stacks? won't the smoke adn heat just rise to the smoke stacks? I did view the slide show of the diamond plate builds but not sure if it all makes sense to me.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22 11 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanyondad, here is a link to a thread in the welding section that will help with your torch settings. A good wrap around as TrailerBuilder mentioned is a good investment, clean the area and mark your line with soap stone. I always do at least 1.5 wraps to insure I am not egg shaping my line.
Also make sure your tip is clean before you start.
http://thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45805

Hybrid Cooker
Idaho_Roper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22 11 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO secret to a straight cut with a torch......just follow the line Twisted Evil

A clean cut otoh, clean tip of the correct size at the correct pressure. There is a chart on the link KAM posted, believe it.

One other thing I have noticed over the years, it seems a natural tendency to 'pull' a torch. I found I can see, and therefore cut, better pushing my torch. Just something you might think about if you find yourself struggling. I also use scribed lines, I see them much better than soapstone under a torch.

You also have to be comfortable and stable and don't try to over cut your reach. It is better to reposition and restart your cut. Keep you torch 90 degrees to your tank and your grinding will be a short cleaning pass. Good luck.
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22 11 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kayrondad, the double-reverse is a term I made up. Still not sure what a plenum is. My smoke tubes are mounted just like the DP. The biggest difference is mine has plates in the bottom to channel the smoke out and around the ends. You could make it with one stack in the middle but mine is 300 gallons and I had 6" material. I didn't want to worry about clearing bridges on the interstate. BTW, that hanging tank would make an awesome DP style cooker. What is the diameter and how old is it?
kayrondad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22 11 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is DP?

specs on the hanging tank are:

30" diameter OD
29.5" diameter ID (assuming 1/4" wall thickness)
approximatel 45" long
133 gallon.

I am gonna make one that looks like yours, but am trying to come up some of my own tweaks to avoid it being "like so-and so's" if you get what I mean. I want it to look different, but do the same thing.....

I love the plate idea and want to do that and will probably do the single stack center like you suggested. I know a long haul trucker who may be able to get me a big-rig exhaust stack that I think will add some cool flare.

I am putting this tank on the trailer today as I need to move all this stuff to my garage. I will soon find out if the trailer is up for the task! Not welding it in place yet, just utilizing my resources as my garage real estate will vastly disappear once all this steel is in its confines.
slapout
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22 11 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DP refers to a brand of smokers by Travis Creek. They are a great product from what I have heard and are often cloned by pit builders. http://www.diamondplatepits.com/ or http://diamondplateproducts.com/ Based on the size and shape of my tank, that's the route I chose for my build. Of course I made many changes but the basic principle is there. I hae been trying for over a year to find some curved stacks for my exhaust. I think that would look real sporty.
frankncali
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22 11 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry im OT here but SLAPOUT ...
I might be one of the only people on this board to know where slapout al
is located.
Back in 89-90 when I was at Auburn I knew a cheerleader there from slapout. She was very hot!

I grew up in New Brockton al down near enterprise and lived in Montgomery as well as auburn for about 10 years.
In my youth i ran around the state playing pool and have too much fun.
kayrondad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22 11 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay so i moved my tanks today by myself. thank goodness for cherry pickers, heavy duty roller carts, 2 ton floor jack, jack stands, a ford festiva tow hook, tie down straps and just good resourcefulness. no injuries and there is still a little room to work. not bad, but still pissed off.

well at least the Misses Kayrondad is now well pleased with the Mr. Kayrondad!!!

when I get my torch training wheels slapout turned me on to, I will begin the cutting of the one tank.

Oh, BTW, what is the 12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock position markings all about that I keep reading around here?
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22 11 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 12,3,6, and 9 are the positions on the clock you will be seeing many, many times while trying to finish your cooker. They also help you keep track of which end is up especially when the 12, 3, and 6 are AM numbers. Seriously tho, marking the pit with those will be your reference to square. As far as the neighbor lady goes, have a block party and invite drunks to your first cook. 1 drunk per 1/2 lb of food (cooked weight) is the going rate I believe. Laughing Good luck with the build. When the festiva fits in the garage again you will know you are done, maybe.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22 11 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kayrondad wrote:
Tanks have been purged by the propane company i bought these from. There is still a good "garlic" smell throughout my neighborhood, but htey are clean of propane.

kayrondad, If I missed this somewhere then my apologies... but have you flooded these tanks out with soap and water? I'd be REALLY concerned about cutting into these tanks let alone having them in the garage unless they have been flooded and washed out. My 2 cents.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22 11 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Wreckless mentioned for me anyway they are very important reference points through out the build. Once I have established the lines I center punch them every few inches this ensures that the lines are always there if I need them and do not get wiped away.
Sorry to here your neighbors do not appreciate art in the making. Wait until you start welding, cutting, beating, banging, and start using choice words out loud when something goes wrong. I have pretty understanding neighbors, I do let them sleep till 7:30 A.M. on Saturdays and Sundays they get to sleep till 8:00 A.M.

Hybrid Cooker
12TH AV SMOKERS
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22 11 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
As Wreckless mentioned for me anyway they are very important reference points through out the build. Once I have established the lines I center punch them every few inches this ensures that the lines are always there if I need them and do not get wiped away.
Sorry to here your neighbors do not appreciate art in the making. Wait until you start welding, cutting, beating, banging, and start using choice words out loud when something goes wrong. I have pretty understanding neighbors, I do let them sleep till 7:30 A.M. on Saturdays and Sundays they get to sleep till 8:00 A.M.

Good advice on the center punches. Very helpful to have those cause you can always reference back to them for layout.

My neighbors get that same treatment... and we stop partying on the patio with the music anywhere from 1-3 AM..in the summer Very Happy
(1) UDS - Ugly Drum smoker
SMS - Vertical - wood / gasser

http://www.youngbergindustries.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: