FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Knife sharpening and Firearm Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayBBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31 11 6:24 am    Post subject: Knife sharpening and Firearm Questions Reply with quote

Question 1:
I have a spyderco knife sharpener and it has a ceramic triangular stone. I assume very hard. I bought a Shun steel which I assume is much harder. I use to use the ceramic stone to touch up a blade. Now I use the steel and it is much more effective. To me steeling is the only way to go between sharpening! Does that seem right? Or is it the approach to the stone versus steel?
Question 2:
I have a friend with a few firearms, decent well known brands. He insists the EVERY firearn he has is "ammunition sensitive" including a Beretta 22 pistol. He is not very strong and may have a limp wrist. This is not impugning his character. FYI this includes bolt action rifles. I have never experienced this problem with any firearm. But I don't even consider feeding problems until I have fired about 4-500 rounds through a weapon. Also, I have rarely experienced feed malfunctions at any time. He actually sent back a PPK and got his money back. I am not a fan of the PPK but it is legendary. PS he is also an engineer which I think is the problem!
What is your opinion on both questions please.
wnkt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31 11 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does "ammunition sensitive" mean?
ClayBBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31 11 6:31 am    Post subject: Ammuntion Sensitive Reply with quote

Means almost every thing jams in his firearms. He has to find specific ammo or he can't shoot because of the jams. Example lead nose 22 Long rifles jam. I agree they are dirty but I have never had them jam that much. I have seen his firearm jam 7 out of 10 times. I thought it was lube but he did not want to use additional lube.
T00lman
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31 11 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if he,s limp wristing a 22 should find a new hobby this=
is my nice opion
#37 liar
1 wsm 18 1/2
1wsm 22 1/2
Riskdude
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31 11 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm not sure about the knife question. I will occassionally use a sharpening steel between real sharpenings and have had good results.

I have seen different ammos behave differently in different guns. I have had too much oil and had a gun jam. Recently, I had a Ruger 10/22 jam with Remington hollowpoint. After I cleaned it and wiped it with a light coat of oil, went through about 300 rounds of various .22 ammo with no jams. My M1A has yet to jam with any ammo, new, mil surplus.... and I have put about 800 rounds through it. My lever action .357 is sticky, but that is because it is not broken in yet.

Other than the PPK, what types of guns are we talkin about? Ammo?

I avoid Wolf and most of the low end stuff, but nothing is low cost anymore, Yikes.
CJATE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31 11 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with rare acceptation any modern firearm should shoot any modern ammunition with reasonable expectation to go bang.

there are bad guns and bad batches of ammo, and bad batches of ammo are more common with the cheap stuff,,, but if he has issue with every gun in his collection, and they are all clean and operate properly, sounds like the owner is the only common denominator.
El Lobo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31 11 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.22's would be the only ones that you'd get ammo problems with. As mentioned, the 10/22 as a semi can have all kinds of problems with FTE's as well as accuracy issues.

My bigger guns are limited to only accuracy differences, with the exception of the SKS which has a tendency to go full-auto from time to time.

So yeah, they are sensitive to ammo in some cases.
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31 11 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Knife sharpening and Firearm Questions Reply with quote

ClayBBQ wrote:
Question 1:
To me steeling is the only way to go between sharpening! Does that seem right? Or is it the approach to the stone versus steel?

The steel should be used in between sharpening on the stone. If you look at a knife blade under a microscope it will look like a saw blade. The steel is like an orthodontist, it straightens teeth.

Don't know anything on the firearm question.
Idaho_Roper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31 11 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless he has had some bad smithing done on his guns, he very likely has one of two problems or a combination of both, they are either dirty, or improperly lubricated.

22 semi auto handguns can have some sensitivity issues and are especially sensitive to being dirty. I shoot a lot of smallbore pistol and some target ammo can fail to cycle these handguns reliably, which is why most target pistol 22 ammo is a little hotter that target grade rifle ammo. But most standard velocity or higher ammo should work just fine in a gun properly cared for.

His lack of willingness to use more oil makes me suspicious that he may 'like' issues. Believe it or not, some people are like this.....beats me????

But I would be willing to bet a proper cleaning and lube job would solve 99% of his sensitivity issues.

As far as your sharpening question. Steels straighten your edge, they do not sharpen it. And yes, they are the appropriate tool between sharpenings. Many people think a dull knife needs sharpening when it may only need it's edge straightened back out. Your edge actually rolls during use.
71ragtop
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31 11 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he's having problems with a 22 he prob couldn't even pick this thing up

BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31 11 10:47 pm    Post subject: Good Points Reply with quote

He says he can only shoot CCI target loads in his 22.
He has 2 40 cals 1 XD 1 Smith and Wesson M and P. Everything jams for him
I think he does enjoy the problem, and I don;t think he lubes properly. I think the firearm is dry!
He also has a 22 magnum bolt action (Savage?) which jams also.
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01 11 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knife: Stone; to serrated steel; to smooth steel; to leather strap.

And as noted above the 10/22 will work pretty good when clean with any ammo. However, if have found that the coated bullets work no matter what condition the gun is in. I am currently using the copper coated Federal hollow points in 50 shot clips with no jams.

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
Gunner69
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01 11 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Good Points Reply with quote

ClayBBQ wrote:
I think he does enjoy the problem, and I don;t think he lubes properly. I think the firearm is dry!

I own both pistols mentioned above in .45. I carry my XD.45 everyday, and have well over 8k round through it. I've had exactly 1 F2F(fail to fire) issues in that amount of rounds and I believe the root cause there was some ammo that got wet when we were shooting in slush and drizzel. I've never had a failure to feed in either with good old fashioned 230gr ball ammo, I have however had several when tryng to feed semi-wadcutters into them but that is strictly a ammo profile issue and has no bearing on the gun.

As far as lubrication goes I know my XD doesn't care whether its lubed or not. I went to a class last year in Nv. over the course of the weekend we fired close to 2500 rounds. I had a bet with a buddy that went down with me that my XD would function w/o maintenance for the entire weekend. The definition of maintenance being any cleaning or lubrication beyond knocking the dirt/sand out of it. I won.

If he's having issues with the bolt gun feeding I'm just baffled. I've had a couple of bolt guns that were finicky with what ammo they preferred to shoot accurately but never with one that had issues chambering. I think that stems directly to cleaning, he's probably got a bunch of crap in the chamber that won't allow it to chamber a round correctly.
El Lobo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01 11 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Good Points Reply with quote

ClayBBQ wrote:

Could be jamming on the feed (from mag), or could be a bad/dirty extractor. Not uncommon at all. If its jamming when he's locking the bolt, then something is damaged or there is a seating depth issue. I've had a few Savage .22's and a 17HMR, no 22 mags though. My experience with them has been very good, no jams or FTE's.
spbbq

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01 11 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a known problem with the Walther PPK with FTE. I bought one for my wife and it has had the problem from day one. Most of the gun shops know about it and so does S and W. They will stand behind their product though.
ClayBBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02 11 7:05 am    Post subject: SPBBQ you are right Reply with quote

S and W gave him all his money back. But that was a known problem 40 years ago! Even in the James Bond books we went away from the PPK to something else!
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02 11 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No answer to the weapons Q, but I know that steeling a knife at least with every other use trues the edge of the blade up and improves its performance. Most knives don't need sharpening more than about once a year (unless you're a really heavy user), but will benefit from a steeling every use. I don't always remember to do it, but you better believe I can feel the difference on the first slice.
ClayBBQ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02 11 9:49 am    Post subject: Steeling is great Reply with quote

I have 4 SHun knives and steeling really sets the edge so well!
MelaniePalmero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16 11 12:54 pm    Post subject: Knife Sharpening Reply with quote

Hi ClayBBQ! Spydercos are great. Try diamond steel, as it guarantees the 22 degree angle of the knife to the steel because of it's shape. Chef Phil shows tips, techniques and whatnot in this great video.
SectorB
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16 11 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can think of on the jamming issue is he isn't seating the magazine completely when he puts it in the gun. I have fired those guns without issue putting dirty rounds of CCI and Blazer through it and no stove tops, or failures. As for the .22 my 10/22 had a feed problem but that was due to my hot lips mag having a weak spring. With the stock magazine there have been zero issues.

Ask him if you can take the guns for a test run.
MeadowCreek PR60

The Smokey Future is cloudy but tasty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: