FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

direct heat hog cooker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmills48

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20 11 10:39 am    Post subject: direct heat hog cooker Reply with quote

hey everyone,
kinda new to this website and i have been reading alot of good things on here. im sure glad that i have found you yall. i see that most of you on here talk about smoking. i just built a hog cooker with a pipe burner. my question is if you smoke a butt 1.5 to 2 hrs in a smoker how long to you cook it on direct heat? any help would be reall great.
Awning Guy
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20 11 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmills48 check out the link below, it's helped me.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22364&highlight=pig+roast+101
Disco
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20 11 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the heat in the pit, direct or indirect is somewhat similar, though the cooking times will be different due to the heating characteristics.

Think about the pit as being an oven, it doesn't much matter if it's an electric oven or a gas one... end of the day it's an oven! Wink

If your hog cooker has enough room between the burner and the meat, you'll have the option to cook at different temperatures based on how you turn the tap on the gas.

If you aim for a temperature between 225 and 325 (effectively indirectly cooked), there will only be a 5 - 7 minutes difference in cooking time per lb, at 250 it will take you somewhere between an hour and fifteen minutes and an hour and twenty minutes a lb. A pork butt that weighs 6 - 8 lbs cooked in direct heat above 350 could take half the time per lb to cook.

So once you have your pit made, you could map the temperatures and that will give you a good idea even before you put the meat on, how it is going to cook.

Get yourself 3 oven shelf thermometers, they are only about $4.00 from WalMart, or borrow them from family and friends, light your burner, and spread the thermometers at one end, from the front of the cooking grate to the back, one at the front where the door opens, one half way to the back and one at the back, allow the cooker to get up to temperature, pop open the lid and read the thermometers write them down. Using a glove move the thermometers along the to the center line and close the lid, allow another 10 or 15 minutes pop the lid open and read them again, you can repeat it as often as you like until you have enough numbers to work with.

By using 3 thermometers you get to quickly see if there are hot spots or cold spots across the cooking grate.

It will at it's simplest give you 9 temperatures.

250 / 265 / 258
265 / 275 / 268
249 / 262 / 263

With the example above the midline of the pit runs hotter than front or back, and the center of the pit is hotter than the ends.

Your figures will suit your pit, and you can check different gas settings if your pressure is variable.

I still work here!
rmills48

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20 11 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the link.
rmills48

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20 11 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info soEzzy. thats helps me out. this will be my first time to butts on the new cooker. going to cook them this sunday. i have 2 butts about 5.6# each. i can maintan the temp at 225. so im guessing aslong as the inside of the butts get to 200 degress im good to go. thanks for your help.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20 11 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calculate at 1 hour / lb, if they finish early you can double wrap in foil, and pop them in a cooler with towels surrounding them, they will hold that way for 4 or 5 hours. If they don't cook quick enough you can double wrap when they pass 165, then crank the heat on the pit.

I still work here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: