FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fist Time Catering Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireTowerBBQ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23 11 1:40 am    Post subject: Fist Time Catering Questions Reply with quote

My buddy owns a hardware store and wants me to feed his 40 employees lunch. They want sliced brisket, spare ribs, beans, potato salad, and sliced bread. I'm trying to figure out how much I need, and how much to charge. Should I charge per plate? How much of each food item should I get. Also, should I cook the brisket the night before and just reheat it in the smoker? Any help or answers to other questions I didn't ask will be much appreciated.Thanks!

Blake

PitMaker BBQ Trailer
Vault
Grill Meister
2 HP Multi-Jet Burners
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23 11 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the catering calc in the sticky's section and it will tell you amounts.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23 11 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooking and reheating is stepping into dangerous territory if you do not have the proper equipment to cool things down very rapidly and also reheat them rapidly tp avoid time/temp abuse of the food. Improper cooling, reheating, and holding temps can create a situation where you may sicken people with a bacteria such as perfringens. (spraying out of every orifice, and severe abdominal distress)

Spare ribs? I am guessing 4# AVG weight per rack I would allow 2 bones per guest, and about 1/2# brisket per guest.

So if I was doing this, I would have 6 racks of ribs, and at least 40 pounds of brisket (raw weight)
Figure about 1/4 pound servings of beans & Pot-salad, so 10-12 pounds of each should cover you nicely.

Price? You first need to determine your cost to provide the food at the weights you'll need. Then proper pricing can be figured from there.

If this was a close buddy, I would do it at my cost becuase that is what friends do. if it is for an acquaintance and you are looking to actually make a few bucks I would go about it differently as explained below.

lets say brisket is $2.00/LB so that would be $80.00 your cost
ribs, maybe $1.80'ish x 6-racks would add another $45.00
Sides about $40.00
condiments, bread and miscellaneous jive for another $20.00 should bring you to a total cost of around $200.00
Using a 30% cost ratio would put you near $675.00 their cost broken down per person would be about $16.75/person which I feel is very reasonable for that spread.

This price only applies if your costs are within a few pennies of the costs that I had listed.
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23 11 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry I know your using an example but,how much are you paying for brisket?I'm seeing $6-7lb around here.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23 11 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daddywoofdawg wrote:
Harry I know your using an example but,how much are you paying for brisket?I'm seeing $6-7lb around here.

i know you asked Harry, but I am paying $1.79.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23 11 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daddywoofdawg wrote:

My brisket prices have been hovering right around $2/LB for choice or higher grade brisket. And it typically comes in graded USDA prime.

$6-7/LB for brisket? Is your supplier at least giving you a reach-around?

If they are charging $6-7/LB for brisket, what the heck are they asking for a striploin or rib-roast? Do you need to get a home equity loan to purchase for the week at those costs. OUCH!!!
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23 11 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daddywoofdawg wrote:

Dangggg With those prices, what do you have to charge for a sandwich?? Shocked Shocked
FireTowerBBQ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23 11 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's pretty crazy. I'm paying, on average, $1.98. Sometimes a little cheaper.

PitMaker BBQ Trailer
Vault
Grill Meister
2 HP Multi-Jet Burners
Pwrjunkie80
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30 11 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FireTowerBBQ wrote:
Yeah, that's pretty crazy. I'm paying, on average, $1.98. Sometimes a little cheaper.

Where do you get your brisket? Superwalmart is the cheapest I can find it. But I dont know how the quality stacks up against the others.
Smokin Pigs Ash BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30 11 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superwalmart here is 2.28/lb almost all the time. Thats the only place I can find it.
FireTowerBBQ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30 11 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pwrjunkie80 wrote:
FireTowerBBQ wrote:

Where do you get your brisket? Superwalmart is the cheapest I can find it. But I dont know how the quality stacks up against the others.

I usually get them at Kroger, Brookshires, or SAMs.

Blake

PitMaker BBQ Trailer
Vault
Grill Meister
2 HP Multi-Jet Burners
Kteedid63
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31 11 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its close to 4.00 here a pound

TomCat BBQ team
Raine
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31 11 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, do not buy briskets at Walmart, unless you can see the grade stamped on it. They usually only have select or no-rolls.

Brisket flats at SAM's are close to if not over $3.00 lb, spares are most likely over $2.00 lb.

I haven't checked the prices lately.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31 11 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raine wrote:
Oh, do not buy briskets at Walmart, unless you can see the grade stamped on it. They usually only have select or no-rolls.

Brisket flats at SAM's are close to if not over $3.00 lb, spares are most likely over $2.00 lb.

I haven't checked the prices lately.

I was at wallyworld a few weeks back to get some stuff for home, and I wandered past the meat section and I was surprised to see excel brand whole brisket graded USDA choice.

They looked like rejects due to the funky cut marks in them, but they were graded choice. oh, $2.09/LB, marked down from $2.89 due it to nearing its freeze-by date. In other words, it was well aged.
Raine
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31 11 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will occasionaly have choice, but most the time...not. They probally got a good price on them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: