FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to get flavor into a Hawaiian style-prepared hog?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crusty

PostPosted: Sat May 21 11 5:09 pm    Post subject: How to get flavor into a Hawaiian style-prepared hog? Reply with quote

Hi guys here's the story:
Last year I prepared a whole hog the Hawaiian imu method.
Basically because I don't have a smoker, as they're hard to come by here in Europe.
(for those interested, here are pics: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150220811295391.464376.647445390&l=c75407a2e8 )

I stuffed the hog with onions and pineapples, garlic herbs etc. and then served the pork in tacos with all sorts of side dishes and salsas (it was a mexican-themed party for 30 people).

Now, the pork itself was deliciously succulent and just flavorful enough to go with the salsas, side-dishes and whatnot.

The whole thing was a smashing success so I've been asked to do it again, which I agreed to. But I've said yes to so many people now over a hundred are showing up.

So, to make serving 100+ people easier I've decided to serve pulled pork sandwiches, bbq sauce and coleslaw.

But here's my question: the pork I served did of course not have a "smokey" flavor (in fact I wouldn't know how "smokey" tastes, never had real Q).
And I'm afraid the pork will need more flavor if it's just going to be served on a bun.

So here's my question: How do I get more flavor in the meat. Rubs of course, but will that penetrate as much if the meat isn't being smoked? Also, I keep the skin on and when ready serve from the inside out: after I finish pulling the pork the leathery skin remains. Or should I inject brine? What other methods are there?

All help will be greatly appreciated, because if the whole thing doesn't live up to the expectations, I'm afraid I'm getting tarred and feathered Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: