FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oak chunks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BriGreentea
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 30 11 5:05 am    Post subject: oak chunks Reply with quote

So I was at Academy to buy a new chimney and was also going to get pecan chunks because this is the only convenient place to get it.
I saw they have oak which besides in lump coal never tried it before.

The smell out of the bag isn't really what I pictured and smells weaker then apple. Is this a light wood to smoke? When I think of oak I think of heavy wood so assume it would be dense. Smoking a chuck right now so guess will find out how the smoke flavor is.

I'm still more of the mesquite person myself but wanted to try something different.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon May 30 11 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Oak will be lighter flavored than your Mesquite and a bit heavier than the Apple. Oak is my all around wood, for me it goes with every meat much like Mesquite, but I do reserve my Mesquite mostly for beef or when I want a really hardy smoke flavor in my poultry. I do not buy Mesquite in the stores we get our from south Texas and bring it home.

Hybrid Cooker
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 30 11 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oak is the primary wood in these parts for pork. I use it a lot and like the flavor. You should give it a whirl.
day_trippr
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 30 11 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oak can be very good indeed on pork and beef - if it's properly seasoned. I mix it with apple for the variety - plus, I get it free from limbs off my own trees - and it's definitely got a nice flavor to it.

Cheers!
CliffC
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 30 11 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of oak is it, or did the bag not say?
I am willing to bet that k.a.m.'s oak is not day-trippr's oak or Smokin Mikes's oak.
BTW I have northern red oak, but haven't used it yet because it is not yet seasoned.
Pinkelephant
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 30 11 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everyone around here uses oak for the heat and hickory for the smoke, mixed. I haven't tried it but have eaten enough of it. In central IL, that's all the big smokers run on. no variation. it's good, but I like variety
| _Trucks-n-BBQ _ | H|--[ ]\____,
|_______________| H|___|____|
(o)(o)"""""""""""(o)(o)****(____)(o)
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue May 31 11 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO oak is king or should be. It burns great, lighter in flavor then hickory, and can be mixed with other woods with great results. I got my last batch of oak from Hell Fire. I like to use oak and cherry together.
#3 LIAR
M&Emike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02 11 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to assume that we are talking WHITE oak correct? How about other oaks? Red?
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02 11 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M&Emike wrote:
I have to assume that we are talking WHITE oak correct? How about other oaks? Red?

To me, it doesnt matter. I used to get red oak from FIL and that is what turned me onto it. I guess the stuff i have now is white oak. Then there is fence post oak that is popular in TX. It is a large family of trees and i dont think it really matters, unless the white vs red is something your into.... Shocked
#3 LIAR
bonsaikc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07 11 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys thanks for the great information. Here's the quandary: I heat mostly with wood in the winter and always have at least a half-cord of white oak firewood, well seasoned, sitting around. When smoking with this in my New Braunfels Hondo, what size chunks should I use, and should the bark be off the wood? I read about a 55 gallon drum cut and grated to preburn wood, is that necessary or can I start with charcoal and add the oak to it?

Last edited by bonsaikc on Sat Jul 09 11 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07 11 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonsaikc wrote:
Guys thanks for the great information. Here's the quandary: I heat mostly with wood in the winter and always have at least a half-cord of white oak firewood, well seasoned, sitting around. When smoking with this in my New Braunfels Mondo, what size chunks should I use, and should the bark be off the wood? I read about a 55 gallon drum cut and grated to preburn wood, is that necessary or can I start with charcoal and add the oak to it?

You can either use wrist sized splits, unless your Shrek. Or fistful chunks.
#3 LIAR
CliffC
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08 11 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon smoker wrote:
M&Emike wrote:

To me, it doesnt matter. I used to get red oak from FIL and that is what turned me onto it. I guess the stuff i have now is white oak. Then there is fence post oak that is popular in TX. It is a large family of trees and i dont think it really matters, unless the white vs red is something your into.... Shocked

Up where you are "red oak" is a local name for Coast Live Oak which is not at all the same tree as the Northern Red Oak we have here, or the Southern Red Oak found in the southeast.
I have access to 2 types of wild cherry and they both produce a very fragrant smoke but that fragrance is not the same, one is deep and fruity and the other is light and very floral. Given the number of oak species used in BBQ I suspect that there are similar differences in the qualities of the smoke that they produce. FWIW I think that the smoke from the Northern Red Oak we have here has a slightly sour smell.
Frosty
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09 11 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 on the oak /cherry mix...great.

Here in PA, red oak ..white oak..both fine, but red oak is somewhat stronger smoke flavor. Great for pork!
82's BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09 11 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oak and Hickory mix for us. Oak seems to be a good "go to" wood. You can use it on anything and blend it with anything without drowning out the other flavors.
QDS drum
Bubba 250 RF 5x10 trailer w/ rib box
Engelbrecht Braten
"82's BBQ Crew"
Liar #82
www.82sbbq.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: