FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello! From Just Outside Barbecue Heaven, Kansas City!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonsaikc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01 06 9:31 pm    Post subject: Hello! From Just Outside Barbecue Heaven, Kansas City! Reply with quote

I am a neophyte smoker, all about the dry rub and sauce it later. I have not begun to develop my own sauce yet, but I prefer the smoky-sweet of Gates or KC Masterpiece to the vinegary Arthur Bryant's.

I am, however, a huge fan of pulled-shoulder sandwiches, and love the vinegary-hot sauce for those.

Is this an irreconcilable contradiction?

I just bought a small upright smoker from Brinkman, just learning how do do it all. I have lots of questions and hope I can get some good input.

Chris Johnston
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02 06 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Chris from a fellow KC area guy. Gates is my favorite sauce, and I also like Carolina style pulled pork, with the thin spicy sauce and the coleslaw. Mmmmm....mmmmm....mmmmmm!!! Burnt ends are my favorite though! Lots of great advice here, so ask away. I have an offset and no experience with those vertival brinkmanns, but many here have used them.
Gary

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02 06 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello from one MO to another. I love it!!!! I think Missouri is a blended taste of BBQ being central to all types of flavors. I myself dont like the vinegar style but that may be because I havent tried any good home cooked stuff yet. Welcome to this site I am new too but I am sure glad I found this place.
SPOKANE SMOKER
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03 06 1:38 pm    Post subject: welcome Reply with quote

Chris, welcome to the site. I've only been smokin for about a year on my vertical Brinkman. It does a pretty good job. I used the charcoal pan once and converted it to electric. That was before I joined this site and read all the mods to the charcoal pan(drilling holes in it for more air to the fire)and the Minion Method for firing charcoal. There are lots of links dealing with these sort of mods that will make your experience go better. Read up on them before you fire that bad boy up and it'll go smother for ya. Lots of great guys here with lots of Q wisdom. Have fun!
SPOKANE SMOKER
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03 06 1:46 pm    Post subject: Sauces Reply with quote

Chris, I forgot you tell you about a book that I got that has many many great recipes for sauces, rubs, chutnys, marinades etc. It is called "The Barbecue Bible-Sauces, Rubs, Marinades". I havent found a recipe that I don't like yet. The book is also designed to empower you to understand how to make your own sauce. There is a chapter on spices(what kind of flavor they impart on the sauce etc.). Another chapter on how to build a sauce(bases, sweeteners, sours, flourals, etc). The author is Steve Reichlen. The book is on E-Bay or you can find it at Wally World for about $9.99. I love this book! Just thought I'd share it with you. Later!
bonsaikc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07 11 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to believe it was 2006 when I first posted here. It's been quite a while, I got rid of the cheapo Brinkmann's went to a brinkmann's offset smoker which I used for a while and then someone just took off with it this summer!

So I found a New Braunfel's Hondo with free shipping (saved $100 right there!) and I plan to get back to smoking briskets, ribs, turkeys, etc. Before I do anything I'll be doing the mods on it to make it a better smoker.

Hope to be in contact with some KC area smokers, too, I live in Ottawa, KS and really love KC 'cue!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07 11 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to the ring bonsaikc, looking forward to seeing some pics of your cooks and seeing what you do with your cooker. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10 11 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonsaikc, welcome back to the Ring. Still tons of good info here on about everything. My wife and I have been to Ottawa many times in the past. We would come every year for the car show in the park. Of course, alot of things have changed, the mustangs were traded in for kids and the rest is history. Laughing Look forward to seeing your cooker mods and future cooks!
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10 11 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the ring Chris.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
stringbender128
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10 11 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Ring! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: