FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help to make a combination smoker???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kbsoett

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14 11 11:40 pm    Post subject: Help to make a combination smoker??? Reply with quote

Good day everyone,
I am new to this smoking business, but I want to build a big smoker (internal = 42" H x 24" W x 24" L) using a combination of a stumbs "gravity feed system for coals" and a pitmaker "vault for the gas." I want to be able to use coal or gas or both and be capable of reaching 600 degrees if necessary. I also want a water pan in it "this is where the pitmaker vault fire box would be implemented." Can anyone help me.

Thanks Idea

Last edited by kbsoett on Fri Jul 15 11 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
seattlepitboss
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15 11 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Help to make a combination smoker??? Reply with quote

kbsoett wrote:
I want to build a big smoker (internal = 42" H x 24" W x 24" L) using a combination of a stumps "gravity feed system for coals" and a pitmaker "vault for the gas." I want to be able to use coal or gas or both and be capable of reaching 600 degrees if necessary. I also want a water pan in it "this is where the pitmaker vault fire box would be implemented."

Unfortunately I am not familiar with anything called "pitmaker" but I do know quite a bit about propane burners. To reach 600 degrees Fahrenheit you will need things to be sealed up tight, and you will need at least one big burner, maybe two.

These burners do not have to go in the same place as the Stumps firebox is. If I wanted to build a combo cabinet-type smoker, I'd build a Stumps clone, insulating the bejesus out of it, and then I'd add two large propane burners coming in from the bottom of the back.

If you want a water pan, it would go on top of the baffle. A cooker that size can easily accommodate a full size hotel pan, so you might consider a 4" deep stainless full size pan. Those hold about 14.5 quarts which is a lot of water. I would also give some thought to making the job of refilling that pan easier in the middle of a long cook in a hot smoky oven full of meat. Maybe a can with a long spout?

Good luck, and keep posting!

seattlepitboss
kbsoett

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15 11 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Help to make a combination smoker??? Reply with quote

I have an image to add... but... I don't know how to add images from my pc Sad

Last edited by kbsoett on Fri Jul 15 11 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total
kbsoett

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15 11 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Help to make a combination smoker??? Reply with quote

kbsoett wrote:
I have an image to add... but... I don't know how to add images from my pc Sad

Here is an image of the pitmaker vault. look at the way the chamber is heated.

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/6955/bbqsmokersafe4c1.jpg

Here are some images of clones and some variations. This is the way i want the stumps system to be integrated into my design.

Any ideas of how i can combine this design with a stumps gravity feed and add a propane burner in one fire box ???

Last edited by kbsoett on Fri Jul 15 11 3:44 am; edited 2 times in total
kbsoett

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15 11 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, This is my design can anyone tell me if this desig will work?

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7897/kbsoettsmokerdesign.jpg

Last edited by kbsoett on Fri Jul 15 11 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15 11 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please read PMPNLT650pxOTLS!

I work here!
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15 11 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been thinking about a gravity feed BWS. Havent exactly figured it out. I dont know if the heat from a stumps style gravity feed would be enough to heat the water and fully circulate in a top-down draft system.

I was thinking about having 2 charcoal chutes(one on each side) and having them angle in a little to really get under the water pan.

I will have to keep an eye on this one.
1MoreFord
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15 11 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgPhan wrote:
Been thinking about a gravity feed BWS. Havent exactly figured it out. I dont know if the heat from a stumps style gravity feed would be enough to heat the water and fully circulate in a top-down draft system.

I was thinking about having 2 charcoal chutes(one on each side) and having them angle in a little to really get under the water pan.

One of the Brethren did a Stumps/BWS mutant clone and posted a little build info there.
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15 11 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1MoreFord wrote:
DawgPhan wrote:

One of the Brethren did a Stumps/BWS mutant clone and posted a little build info there.

thanks I am going to go and look for that.
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15 11 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got a link. I cant seem to find the thread.

thanks
rocam69

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15 11 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow!! 600 degrees how come so high?
kbsoett

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15 11 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rocam69 wrote:
wow!! 600 degrees how come so high?

I want to be able to use it as an over also not only for smoking meak Smile multipurpose
kbsoett

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15 11 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that since coal can generate a lot of heat and the system would be air tight that it would be able to heat the chamber under the water pan hot enough to heat the water and the top-down draft system.

This is my idea on the design of the firebox. Can anyone say if this would work?

I read that the higher the vent vent on the chute the more coal would burn and the more heat that would be generated

kbsoett

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16 11 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please help a brother out... I know that there are a lot of expericned people and great minds in this forum... come on guy sheare it Smile
bud-wie-ser
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16 11 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbsoett, Your design looks like it would work using a gravity feed system to provide heat below a water pan.

I would not recommend trying to introduce a gas burner in a sealed environment like this. If you want a secondary fuel, use a charcoal basket and add some adjustable air inlet dampers. As far as I know, Pitmaker does not offer a gas fueled option for their vertical smokers.

If you insist on using a gas burner, please read this thread and take the proper precautions.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43117[/code]
Custom Drum Smoker
UDS
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
kbsoett

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16 11 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bud-wie-ser wrote:
kbsoett, Your design looks like it would work using a gravity feed system to provide heat below a water pan.

I would not recommend trying to introduce a gas burner in a sealed environment like this. If you want a secondary fuel, use a charcoal basket and add some adjustable air inlet dampers. As far as I know, Pitmaker does not offer a gas fueled option for their vertical smokers.

bud-wie-ser

Thanks a lot man for the advice. I want to use the Gas burner for for roasting. I might want to use it to do chinese style chicken.

For the burner i was think two burners controlled by a thermostat with the intake outside at the back of the smoker.

You mentioned the secondary fuel source can you explain how it would work please?
bud-wie-ser
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16 11 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first sketch
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7897/kbsoettsmokerdesign.jpg

showed a gravity feed system. That would be your first fuel source.

It also showed a propane burner below the water pan. That would be your second source, although you could easily add a charcoal basket instead of the propane burner.

This is an interesting concept.
I would assume that you would use one source or the other rather than use both together.
Custom Drum Smoker
UDS
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
kbsoett

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19 11 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bud-wie-ser wrote:

showed a gravity feed system. That would be your first fuel source.

It also showed a propane burner below the water pan. That would be your second source, although you could easily add a charcoal basket instead of the propane burner.

This is an interesting concept.
I would assume that you would use one source or the other rather than use both together.

I want to be able to use coals or Gas. The Gas mainly for roasting.
kbsoett

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20 11 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: When using the excel calculator for the fire box the section behind the false wall in the BWS and other similar types of smokers - is that reginon fire box or cooking chamber?
Question
kbsoett

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21 11 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbsoett wrote:
Question: When using the excel calculator for the fire box the section behind the false wall in the BWS and other similar types of smokers - is that reginon fire box or cooking chamber?
Question

Come on I know that someone have some answers Idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: