FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chimney help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ms705jk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30 11 10:51 am    Post subject: Chimney help Reply with quote

Hey guys ive got a build question. I just used the smoker calculator what an awesome tool. Got all my cut measurements. My question is im using 8in pipe for my chimney and the calculator figured I needed 42in of pipe. My chimney is not straight its a 90 so will the 90 degree angle add the restriction I need. The chimney ive already made is 12in out and 10in up
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30 11 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms705jk, are you counting the long end of your miter as the 12" out or the short end? Personally I would run a tight 90° and go the 42" straight up.

Hybrid Cooker
ms705jk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30 11 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short end is 12in (before the mitter). And im out of 8in pipe. My steel guys needed some 8in and I needed a 45 cut so you can see how that worked out.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30 11 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refresh me on your tank dimensions please. Is it possible to run two 6" or two 4" stacks? At the exhaust end you do not want restriction you need the size and height to create a draft. If you have to much horizontal flow in your stack you are bottle necking the draft and will cause a stall in the draft which will lead to stale smoke.

Hybrid Cooker
Idaho_Roper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01 11 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draft is a factor of volume and elevation change, Your horizontal run of flue should actually be calculated into your chamber volume as it does not contribute to your draft. One 90 cut at a 45 wouldn't factor much into a draft restriction as it actually contains more volume than a straight pipe thus mitigating the direction change. Without going to the calculator I would guess you still need to make the vertical run at least 42", if not a bit higher to compensate for the added volume of your horizontal pipe.
1MoreFord
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01 11 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 90 Deg will add restriction to your air flow. A mitered 90 will add more restriction than a radiused 90 will.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: