FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baby Backs -vs- Pork Spareribs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bigfoot21075

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01 11 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure wher you all buy your Baby Backs from, but the ones from Costco in the cryo 3 pack are super thick and meaty. More meaty than a regular super market ST L. Yes, the meat is less fatty on the BB so you really have to pay attention to get a spectacular rib, but it is doable.
Superior SS2
Round Boy Wood Fired Oven
wrigley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01 11 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigfoot21075 wrote:
Not sure wher you all buy your Baby Backs from, but the ones from Costco in the cryo 3 pack are super thick and meaty. More meaty than a regular super market ST L. Yes, the meat is less fatty on the BB so you really have to pay attention to get a spectacular rib, but it is doable.

Same way at Sams Club. I buy the three slab BB package and the ribs are always thick and meaty. I'd like to try smoking the spareribs, just never got around to it.

Mike
uhmgood
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01 11 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lantern , i'm cooking on a MES30 , gave up on charcoal last year. just too much work for an old man like me , the only time i use my kettle grills now is for burgers and i do like to grill pork tenderloins , but for ribs, butts , briskets and everything else i throw on there give me the MES
matthhi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01 11 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do a search on youtube for st. louis cut ribs I found several step by step videos that helped a lot.
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01 11 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhmgood wrote:
lantern , i'm cooking on a MES30 , gave up on charcoal last year. just too much work for an old man like me , the only time i use my kettle grills now is for burgers and i do like to grill pork tenderloins , but for ribs, butts , briskets and everything else i throw on there give me the MES

That cooker should be more than moist enough that you can drop the foil altogether and make your rib smokin even easier.

Now, it will add a little time to your smoke because there won't be the braising that goes on inside the foil. But it will open up more opportunities for more bark and better glazing.

Next time you make a mess of ribs let one rack stay out of the foil and play around with it. I never tell a man how to eat his own brand of BBQ. But I ALWAYS encourage playing with his food!! Laughing
Smokin' Hoglegs
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02 11 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a good link someone here posted a while back

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/01/pork-spare-ribs-preparing.html
smokey joe
CI
GeorgeH
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02 11 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm the odd man out but I like baby back ribs. While it is true that spare ribs have more meat, they also have more fat that I don't like. Much of the fat inside the spare ribs doesn't render out after it has cooked and I don't like the fat.

George
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: