FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Butts, Ribs, and Timing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
devildawg23

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03 11 11:33 pm    Post subject: Butts, Ribs, and Timing Reply with quote

Worry and second guessing is starting to set in, so hit me with your suggestions. Labor Day menu is pulled pork and St. Louis trimmed spares. Smoker is my 2 rack UDS. Problem is timing.

I have two 15 lb. bone-in butts. I am planning on cutting these vertically down the middle as there is a bone in each side. This should make two 8lb. roasts and logically cut the smoking time (am i right)? I plan on starting these Sunday night.

Monday morning I will throw 6 racks of spares on. I have done spares several times and have no worries. The problem is space. We are eating at 1:00 Monday. My current thinking is I have to have the butts done before I put the spares on, or there just won't be enough room.

SO my two questions are, 1. Will cutting the each butt into 2 separate pieces cut my cook time. 2. If I get the butts done before a 6 hour rib smoke, what should I do? I can wrap them for an hour or two, but there is still 4 hours after that. Suggestions? And yes, I like to bite off more than I can chew. Go big or go home.
Soapm
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04 11 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can wrap the butts in two layers of foil and they'll sit in a cooler for up to 4 hours. You may want to look for a rib rack if you're putting 6 racks in with butts. There is a YouTube video where a guy cooked 9 racks in a Chargriller Duo so I know it can be done but you're going to need to plan. A rack will help...
devildawg23

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04 11 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved...one of our local stores is going to lend me their demo Traeger over night. I will throw the butts on there. Back to the other question, will cutting the butts in half make a difference...they will be the same width still.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: