FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

looking for all stainless stuffer...grinder question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
laxmaster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31 11 8:50 am    Post subject: looking for all stainless stuffer...grinder question Reply with quote

im looking for an all stainless stuffer, but all the ones i see have either plastic gears and the nylon plate...i know people say there are nothing wrong with these and that they will hold up/last, but Id feel more ocmfortable with an all ss model...thing is, are there any out there??? any suggestions would be great...

also, ive heard the LEM grinders (im looking at 3/4 hp model) are known for being trouble/probolem free and their servicve dept is great to work with...any other recommendations for grinders...thank you all
Gray Goat
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31 11 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabelas has some nice SS stuffers Smile

Home made offset
Weber gasser
Weber kettle
UDS
Large BGE
Masterbuilt 30"
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31 11 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard laxmaster.
I am betting that you will have to step up to a commercial grinder and stuffer to get what your are looking for.
I don't have $5k to put into sausage making equipment.
My grinder, mixer and horizontal stuffer, cost less than $400.00
Both my grinder and stuffer came from Northern Tool. The mixer from eBay. I have had them for about two years now and they have really paid for themselves many times over.
I like the nylon plate in the stuffer. It's easy to clean and the O ring is easy to get off. The tube is all SS and it has metal gears.
I have the #12 grinder, it's not SS, but I love it.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
laxmaster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01 11 4:58 am    Post subject: leaning toward... Reply with quote

i was leaning toward the 3/4 hp from LEM...as far as stuffers though, I have no clue...horiz vs vertical, brands I have no clue (lem or weston???)...paul
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01 11 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can suggest you avoid the 15# capacity stuffer from Gander Mountain, I just returned mine today.

doing 20mm sheep casings required a helper to use both his hands to crank it, and it was still too difficult to use. Whereas my 5# stuffer is easy enough for me to use by myself with one hand cranking, and one hand guiding the casings off the horn.

I got my stuffer from northern tool or some other discount house like grizzly tool, it has nylon gears and has done hundreds of pounds of meat with zero problems. Just be conscious that when the plunger is at the bottom, stop cranking.

Keep an eye on craigslist, there are some great finds to be had, especially on commercial grade equipment. I am currently in the market for a commercial floor-standing stuffer.
Gray Goat
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01 11 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: leaning toward... Reply with quote

laxmaster wrote:
i was leaning toward the 3/4 hp from LEM...as far as stuffers though, I have no clue...horiz vs vertical, brands I have no clue (lem or weston???)...paul

I really like this Weston from Cabelas Smile

Home made offset
Weber gasser
Weber kettle
UDS
Large BGE
Masterbuilt 30"
Kevin P
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02 11 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost wound up ordering the 3/4HP LEM grinder model until I had the opportunity in person to see & try the commercial-grade grinders at Cabelas. Heavy, solidly-built, and quite powerful. I was sold so picked up the 3/4HP model there. No regrets & have been very pleased with this unit. If I were a hunter and needed to process larger quantities , I'd have no reservations in picking up the 1 & 1-3/4hp models.

The models also come with a variety of stuffing funnels, including a 'speed-auger' for doing sticks. These do the job for smaller loads (less than 5 pounds). Not ideal for big jobs, however.

Small load of chorizo using the funnel attachments:

For bigger loads (10 lbs or more), I use my water-powered Kirby cannon, which will hold up to 12 pounds of meat. Easy to load, use & clean, And fast!

BBQonICE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06 11 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy the one from Northern Tool...way cheaper than any brand and it works..with steel gears....I have the 15pound stuffer...works great!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: