FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sirloin tip 28 day dry age

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildfire00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05 11 10:31 pm    Post subject: Sirloin tip 28 day dry age Reply with quote

Oh beef, how I love thy. Lol. I have just recently finished another dry aging excursion. This time it was a 10 lbs Sirloin Tip. I did it just the same as last time, except this time I did a 28 day age as opposed to the 14 day age that I did previously. All I can say is WOW, what a difference two weeks makes in the taste. This is probably the most flavor from a piece of unseasoned meat that you can probably ever experience. The depth of flavor is amazing; the meat itself is pretty tender. But that nutty smell and taste is what makes it all worth it.

I had my fridge at a stable 3 degrees so as to avoid any spoilage. Kept the door closed as much as possible. I only check the meat every 2-3 days, just to make sure it’s not sitting there roting. Well roting in a bad way. Really what we are doing is spoiling the meat, but it is a controlled spoil. So this time after I trimmed away all of the uneditable meat and cut this badboy down in to some great steaks, I then set some aside to do some jerky. Now because I wanted to taste the meat and not the marinade, all I did was season with a bit of salt and pepper. I placed the strips in my dehydrator for 6.5 hours and viola, some of the best tasting jerky you could ever want.

In my opinion, everybody should be doing this. No way to world peace like a great piece of beef on your plate. There are a couple articles related to this on my site from previous posts so I am not going to go over everything again in this post. But I hope you try it and enjoy it as much as I did

take care and keep the fire hot. to see the pics please visit my site.
Ray D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07 11 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I am from, it was all done this way, it was quartered, then hung for a month, every part was aged. I have heard also of 60 and 90 day aging, but have not tried it. These days you are supposed to by it blood red and eat it within 3 days or freeze it, (taste and texture are not important anymore) & this is caused by the USDA brain washing machine.
I have heard that after aging, it should be frozen and thawed before cooking, that the process improves taste and texture. I know we froze it in my younger years, but we did it for convience. So I am going to try it on my next aging process.
Ray D
Chefmikey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11 11 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Wildfire - great post. As a Chef, I am well used to having to age my store bought meat to get something worthwhile to eat.
To ensure best results, try and buy your cuts in big pieces (primal cuts) in vacuum pack bags. These can be safely aged for up to 4 weeks in the fridge with no concerns about spoilage. Most supermarket meat has only has 3-7 days from kill to sell - tough as nails. Thing is, if it's already cut and just overwrapped in cling film, too much oxygen gets into it and you get that slimy coating on the outside which must be trimmed off before eating - wasted meat that you've paid for!
If you can get a big cut (like a sirloin tip, new york strip, top round, etc.) in the heavy vac bag (Costco maybe??)leave it in the bag - this minimizes air exposure but will let the meat age naturally in it's own juices. After your aging time, open the bag, discard the juice and use 100% of the meat inside!
If it's a little 'stinky', just rinse briefly in cold water to remove the blood and - voila - beautiful, tender, aged beef.

Grill-Pro offset
Master Forge ECB/WSM clone
Weber 18" kettle - silver
wildfire00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12 11 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Chef, that is wet aging and i am going to try that somewhere down the road. i really wanted to do the dry aging just to see if its as difficult as people say. which, its not. I do buy my meat at Costco in huge pieces, 10 -13 lbs.

I will be trying the wet age soon, but I have alot of meat to get through first.

thanks again.
DKWRRT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06 12 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At what temp was your fridge. It says 3* but I think you meant in the 30's I think. Could you let me know as I really want to try this. Thanks and good smoking.
junior1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10 12 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe (which I could very well be wrong) they may have meant 3 degrees Celsius, which is 37.4 degrees fahrenheit.
corndog
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12 12 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a question on this dry aging...after the aging period, can i steak out the whole cut and vacume seal the aged steaks for freezing? I want to try the dry aging, so this would be a great way to benifit...Thanks,

Dang it boy, that's some mighty fine eatin'!!!!
Ray D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14 12 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it freezes as well as fresh, some freeze it all before they eat any of it, claims it is better, I can't see any difference though.
Ray
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Beef Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: