FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coming out of hibernation on Wed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agrund

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13 12 7:26 am    Post subject: Coming out of hibernation on Wed. Reply with quote

Hey all,
Haven't been as active smokin lately as I'd like to have been- but I'm hoping to make a comeback on my day off this week. Supposed to be 68 and sunny as hell.
I have 2 racks of ribs that I bought back in Aug.- was going to do them the next day but my dad had a hernia so in the freezer they went and started with the double shifts- 1st. At my normal job then home to open my dads shop till 11 or so. Things have finally came back to mostly normal and the weather s turning though.
Also going to pick up a couple dozen wings- last time I did those they came out nice.

Still learning technique and that is what this post is for. When initially firing up to get the pit up to temp- what do you guys do? I usually start with a small fire and open the intake all the way up- till it hits 300 or so, then close intake down and manage the fire so the pit settles between 210-240. Is this the best practice?

Thanks,
Adam
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13 12 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jm2c I usually try to shut down intakes a little bit at a time before i reach my target temp. i find it is easier to get to temp that way......if she droops i just open the intake a little and she usually perks right up.....but that is my cooker tho... Wink yours may be different.
Smokin' Hoglegs
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13 12 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam, Just make sure you have a good bed of coals. Once you have a good coal bed, a small piece of seasoned wood now and again will keep you going. You may have to get your cooker well above your target temp and let it settle back down to develop a good coal base. Practice!
smokey joe
CI
BluDawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13 12 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I start out with a hot chimney of lump and 2 splits intake WFO . When I get to my cooking temp I close it 1/2 way let it settle out make a small adj as needed then feed 1 split about every 40 minutes.
Webber 22 OTS
Memorial UDS "Big Jim"
h4ppy-chris
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13 12 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck with the ribs Adam
Agrund

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14 12 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K thanks guys. Hopefully I'll be posting some of the mouthwatering results!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: