FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do they do it??? Consistent winners
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QTEX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22 12 10:13 pm    Post subject: How do they do it??? Consistent winners Reply with quote

How do guys like Myron, Triggs, Tuffy and several others do it? How do they win so consistently different towns and contests, different judges and regions ect.ect. We have a local guy that just keeps kicking our buts over and over again and again. Oh yes sometimes a few of us trade places with him but over and over the last four years he's grand champ or at least reserve and rarely not one of those two. Have all these guys just come up with recipe's that appeal to a wide range of people (judges). So many injections and rubs on the market now, going broke trying to get the ones that are consistent!

Gracias amigos
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22 12 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How do they do it??? Consistent winners Reply with quote

QTEX wrote:
How do guys like Myron, Triggs, Tuffy and several others do it? How do they win so consistently different towns and contests, different judges and regions ect.ect. We have a local guy that just keeps kicking our buts over and over again and again. Oh yes sometimes a few of us trade places with him but over and over the last four years he's grand champ or at least reserve and rarely not one of those two. Have all these guys just come up with recipe's that appeal to a wide range of people (judges). So many injections and rubs on the market now, going broke trying to get the ones that are consistent!

Gracias amigos

they are all better at cooking bbq than you are...

They are better because they probably spend more time cooking bbq than you do.

there are no secrets in bbq, only practice and consistency.
TH Cattle Co.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23 12 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: How do they do it??? Consistent winners Reply with quote

I think the answer is deeper than they practice more and yet may even be more simple. I think the two things that any of us aspiring bbq greats need to consider are (1) actual vs perceived reality and (2) individual taste.

Look through enough comp results and you will see all of the big name players take a dive in any given category. While it is true that they win a lot, they also place out of contention frequently. Babe Ruth struck out 1,330 times.

Our individual ability to taste and perceive flavors can be our downfall. No matter how good of a cook you are or how good you think your food tastes, you might be your own worst enemy. Surround yourself with critics and most of all know your audience.

Thousand Hills Cattle Co.
Barbecue Team
QTEX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23 12 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree on both replys, practice and consistency is very basic for champions of any sport and sometimes we tend to over do too much when simple is all that is needed. Definitely that is not all there is to it though.
Coz
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23 12 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My .02 is that they have recipes they follow to a tee and thru years of honing anf cook the meat to the correct level of done ness.

BBQ as tender as baby mice !
RedValleyBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23 12 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: How do they do it??? Consistent winners Reply with quote

QTEX wrote:

Gracias amigos

The really good teams have found a flavor profile that appeals to most people. They also cook a consistant product from week to week, and they pay attention to details. Also, Tuffy once told me that the "ability to adapt to prevent a complete catastrophe" is very important.
18.5" & (3) 22" Weber Kettle Grills
Traeger Lil' Tex
KCBS CBJ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
QTEX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23 12 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense RVB
INmitch
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23 12 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also you've got to realize a lot of these teams are doing 30+ comps a year. They can tweak here and there n figure something out in a month which may take a team a year if they are only doing 4-5 comps.
Last year I did 18 comps. If I went 2-3 weeks without a comp I lost my confidence and felt uneasy about things at turnins. And my scores showed it.
Coz
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24 12 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Fowl Butt should take 2 or 3 weeks off this year before doing any contests I go too ! LOL UP HOGWILD ?

BBQ as tender as baby mice !
ace27705

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29 12 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never competed in bbq myself.I really want to learn more join and team etc.But one thing i thought about was regestering to become a judge.See what they look for. I know that presentation, doneness IE bite through chicken and the skin is soft..ribs that are done but when bitten through does not pull off excess meat..i think that a flavor profile is good but with so many styles. i think a good judge should be able to tell what style they are going for.Pratice makes perfect but i think becomming a judge might give you some insight.
RedValleyBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29 12 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ace27705 wrote:
I have never competed in bbq myself.I really want to learn more join and team etc.But one thing i thought about was regestering to become a judge.See what they look for. I know that presentation, doneness IE bite through chicken and the skin is soft..ribs that are done but when bitten through does not pull off excess meat..i think that a flavor profile is good but with so many styles. i think a good judge should be able to tell what style they are going for.Pratice makes perfect but i think becomming a judge might give you some insight.

I have been a CBJ for almost 6 years. One thing we are taught is to not take bite through skin into consideration when judging chicken. But I recommend taking the CBJ class if you are really struggling in competition. Then judge a competition or two. By seeing and tasting what teams are turning in can only help you in the end.
18.5" & (3) 22" Weber Kettle Grills
Traeger Lil' Tex
KCBS CBJ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
INmitch
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30 12 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coz wrote:
I think Fowl Butt should take 2 or 3 weeks off this year before doing any contests I go too ! LOL UP HOGWILD ?

Lol. I just saw this. I'm only going to do 4-5 more comps this year. I definately won't be getting in the grove this year. Sad
TooSaucedToPork

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30 12 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consistancy is Key...

Write down EVERYTHING you do when cooking. Have someone there to watch you and have them write down their opinion of what you are doing.

Cook your food, prep it for turn in and let it sit for 1/2 hour then taste it. Simulate turn ins. What you taste fresh might not be what it tastes like after sitting for the 5 min walk to the judges booth and the 10 minutes before it is tasted.

If your food isn't the same everytime, then you can't blame the judges

Use the same fuel everytime. Same charcoal, same pellets, same hickory from the same company etc.

Once you get it down, practice every weekend or every other weekend on at least one catagory...Use your competition timing chart (everything you wrote down) and make it just how you would for a competition...this way you stay in practice

I hate to say it but - Use store bought rubs, injections and sauces for consistancy, 90% of the time yours will differ slightly every time you make it. Make them your own by combining them how you see fit...they are still your blend but you will get consistant flavor.

Neil
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30 12 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buying store bought is no way to ensure consistency.

Nearly all of the competition rubs that I have used vary from batch to batch. most of the time you could hold 2 bottles of them next to one another and see the difference. sometimes they would be hotter than normal.

Plus you have to consider turn over on some of these rubs..it might take more than a year for some of these rubs to get made into a new batch and bottled. Sauces are a little different, but I have noticed a lot of variation in rubs from bottle to bottle and this is on the big ones...
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30 12 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also what the judges think in their head what BBQ is suppose to taste like.I.E Texas is salt and pepper and pretty much just that.kansas sweet,Calif spicy.Think about what that regions BBQ is know for,that's who the judges are drawn from.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
QTEX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01 12 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgPhan wrote:
buying store bought is no way to ensure consistency.

Nearly all of the competition rubs that I have used vary from batch to batch. most of the time you could hold 2 bottles of them next to one another and see the difference. sometimes they would be hotter than normal.

Plus you have to consider turn over on some of these rubs..it might take more than a year for some of these rubs to get made into a new batch and bottled. Sauces are a little different, but I have noticed a lot of variation in rubs from bottle to bottle and this is on the big ones...

I have to agree here, last year I bought just about every popular competition rub and sauce out there more than a couple of times and they were rarely consistent even in color as you stated already. Many of the smaller brands just have someone relabel and or mix for them. The sauces were more consistent but was also disappointed at most of them as they were pretty much the same and too much liquid smoke in all of them. For sauces I have had better tasting stuff right off the grocery shelves.
But really the thread was about how some guys like Tuffy, Johnny Triggs and Myron and a few others seem to have figured out a flavor profile whether it be the sauce the rub the overall technique and sauce rub ect that appeals to a very wide range of audiences even regions and states, amazing to me that they can do that so well.
EastTennQcrew
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03 12 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken Johnny's, Myron's and Davis's classes. And all three will tell you, that you have to be consistant in what you do. Timing has to be the same every time, the rubs must be fresh, and the presentation must must be spot on.

Only one used a single rub out of a bottle. The other two used a combo of several rubs to come up with the flavor profiles they are looking for.

Johnny said in his class, I am going to tell you what I do, and how I do it. But I bet that you will miss something. He said he had done things so many times, he didn't have to think about it.

Attention to details.

RandyE
TooSaucedToPork

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03 12 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EastTennQcrew wrote:
I have taken Johnny's, Myron's and Davis's classes. And all three will tell you, that you have to be consistant in what you do. Timing has to be the same every time, the rubs must be fresh, and the presentation must must be spot on.

Only one used a single rub out of a bottle. The other two used a combo of several rubs to come up with the flavor profiles they are looking for.

Johnny said in his class, I am going to tell you what I do, and how I do it. But I bet that you will miss something. He said he had done things so many times, he didn't have to think about it.

Attention to details.

RandyE

AMEN
QTEX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04 12 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EastTennQcrew wrote:

Attention to details.

RandyE

Met Johnny in Temple Tx back in 1997 or 98 dont remember, before he was a super stud but he had been competing a few years already, I was just starting and his advice to me then was similar and I always remember it, much like you said; If you place with a recipe dont go change it every time because it didnt place or win first every time, stick with it and tweak it but dont start over and over. Thanks for reminding me again
crashpilot
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18 12 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Wozniak (QUAU) told me that his "secret" to winning is that he cooks a LOT. It isn't so much the spices or the injections that we split hairs on, he wins because he cooks so much.

Take that for what it's worth.
Char-Broil Red 580 gasser
22" Weber Kettle
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Competition BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: