FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JR firebox door problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okie Dokie Que

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16 12 7:31 pm    Post subject: JR firebox door problem Reply with quote

I have a JR 250 that is about 6 years old. For the first 4+ years it worked flawlessly. For the past year though I have been plagued by a series of failed firebox door gaskets. I have removed the door, cleaned and used several different gaskets/adhesives on it. The first few times I used adhesive from the local fireplace/woodstove store. When I called JR for advice I was told to use just plain ole 100% silicone. I tried that (twice). Before doing it the second time I called JR again and was told to make sure I put plenty of silicone on it. This time I put nearly a whole tube on it (a bead nearly as big around as my thumb). Each time I do it the seal holds for a week to a month and then fails. Does anyone have any advice? JR owner or otherwise. Thanks in advance.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16 12 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the firebox door gasket on my 700 a year ago, I tried wood-stove gasket cement, and that failed in less than a week. J&R suggested silicone caulk to me also, and it has been holding for a year already, and tight as can be.

I used 3/4" fiberglass rope gasket, and did a double wrap, While I had the door open and doing this, I got a fire going and when I was done with the gasket, I closed the door so the heat would cure the silicone.
smokin Jim
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17 12 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to use the "high heat silicone". It is red in color and as Harry has stated, my gaskets have stayed in place for over a year.
VC5007 gasser
KCBS CBJ
Okie Dokie Que

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17 12 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I will take both of your advice. I saw some silicone on line that I think was made by Red Devil? Says its good up to 600 degrees. I will also cure it with the heat of the smoker as Harry suggests. I'm no caulk expert by any means but will the gasket not slide out of place on the bottom before its dry or is that where closing the door comes into play?
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17 12 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokin Jim wrote:
Make sure to use the "high heat silicone". It is red in color and as Harry has stated, my gaskets have stayed in place for over a year.

I used plain old white silicone caulk, I did not use hi-temp gasket material or anything specially designed for heat, just plain old $1.99/tube white silicone caulk from the hardware store and it has worked flawlessly. The heat of the firebox cures it nicely,

Just make sure the door is cold when you apply the silicone, if it is hot, the caulk will cure before you can apply the gasket and the bond will fail again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: