FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

salty bacon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fatboy240

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05 12 8:21 am    Post subject: salty bacon Reply with quote

need some help guys, made a honey cured bacon, called for a lb of salt , 2 cups honey, and cure, rubed it all down ,left in cooler for 4 days, washed real good with warm water, smoked at 140 until internal temp of 130, then turned down heat and held for color, bacon looks great smells great, but wow salty, is ther any remedy for this , and what did i do wroung, thanks in advance
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05 12 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatboy240, maybe posting the recipe and size of the belly would help sort this out.
What cure did you use?
I normally use tenderquick, add no salt and soak the belly in cold water for a few hours, changing the water often.
fatboy240

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05 12 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok this is per belly , and the weight of each belly is 7.5lb did 2 bellys, the recipe i used is fromgreat sausage recipes and meat curing byrytek kutas.this is the recipe, 1lb salt, 2oz prague powder #1, and 2 cups of honey. sed this for each belly, is there any way to tame the salt now after its done
fatboy240

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05 12 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully harry is around, sounds like he has a deadly honey bacon recipe. hint hint lol
ifnyakin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05 12 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know when I bake a ham and make gravy if its to salty I add a little Horseradish seems to kill some of the salt taste
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05 12 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a pound of salt???

How big was the slab of belly?? That almost sounds inedible due to salt content.

Alright, here is my recipe for honey and maple bacon, just interchange the sticky stuff for what you want.

My bellies come in almost exactly at 12.5 pounds each so here is the ratio I use for that weight, you may need to adjust for your weights.

12.5 pound belly skinned, fresh
8TBS kosher Salt
4TBS Sugar
2.5tsp cure #1
1.5 cups honey or real maple syrup
mix dry ingredients, coat both sides of belly with mixture, lay belly in non-reactive pan fat side down. Pour honey or syrup on top of meat, cover with plastic wrap and distribute the liquid evenly.
place in cooler for proper time according to thickness, rinse before smoking, let dry until tacky, smoke at the lowest temps possible (under 100 degrees) for as long as you like. Chill, slice, enjoy, change underwear, and run around outside proclaiming that you are the bacon king!

Where did this 2-pound salt recipe come from? and did it include any curing agent?
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05 12 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at that recipe, that was probably a brine recipe that should have been injected until a certain percentage of weight is gained, then soaked in brine Did you make a brine or did you dry cure the bacon?

All my recipes are dry-cure, I do not like adding water to my products, and the quality difference between dry-cured and water-added is huge.

Another tip for syrup/honey-cured, use the lowest grade of syrup/honey available, don;t waste money on grade "A" product, the flavor is less, and the cost is high. "B" grade is a much stronger flavor, and the cloudiness associated with lower grades does not matter since we are going for flavor not appearance of the syrups clarity.
A local honey producer should be able to help you out with sub-par grades not acceptable for table use, but excellent for cooking.
dmsintexas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07 12 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fatboy,

I will skip the "what went wrong" and skip to the remedy.

One remedy is to blanch the bacon strips in boiling water for one minute. After blanching pat them dry and fry as normal.

The blanching will draw out the salt and actually helps make crisping the bacon a little easier.

Good luck!
fatboy240

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08 12 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks harry, what would the amount of time be to leave in cooler to cure right. and the recipe that i used came from a book ,it was ment to be a dry cure, and yes the lb of salt included the cure # 1. started to use it to wrap ABTs a little more salt when haveing a few cold ones is great , right lol. thanks for all the help guys , so mch information on here , GREAT site
fatboy240

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08 12 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to bother you again harry , but is that brown sugar you used, thanks
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09 12 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatboy240 wrote:
sorry to bother you again harry , but is that brown sugar you used, thanks

I use straight white granulated sugar, but I do not see a problem with using brown sugar, the molasses in brown may add a nice flavor profile.

I got an idea for "Black Forest Bacon" I want to try and coat it with molasses, and cure it with juniper berries instead of smoking with juniper.

Garlic bacon is becoming very popular by me lately, it was not a big seller at first, but now all the people who got 1/4 & 1/2 weights to try it are now ordering it by multiple pound packages.

Just add 2 TBS granulated garlic to the cure
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09 12 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe ear mark that bacon for making soups. My wife makes a 15 bean soup she uses bacon or salt pork in. The nice thing about soups is that the beans soak up a ton of salt.
#3 LIAR
Woundedyak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10 12 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pound of salt is way too much IMO. After I take it out of the cure. I always soak in fresh water for a few hours changing the water out every 1/2 hr. Takes the salt taste right out
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11 12 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woundedyak wrote:
A pound of salt is way too much IMO. After I take it out of the cure. I always soak in fresh water for a few hours changing the water out every 1/2 hr. Takes the salt taste right out

I posted some salt,cure,sugar ratios in the honey bacon thread, no soaking is required with the ratios I use, A quick rinse in cold running water, some hang time to dry, and into the smoke is all that is required.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: