FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WSM - Which One ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tinovr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 29 12 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had an 18.5" for about 6 yrs now.. Bought it used on Craigslist for $150. I can fit 10 racks of BBs, or 6 pork butts. That's really a lot of food. Figure 10 racks (and sides) will feed 15-20 people. Six butts will produce at least about 20 lbs of pulled pork. Not too often you need more food than that.

Then about 2 yrs ago, we decided to throw a huge party.. 80 people or so.. I went on Craigslist and found another 18.5" for $150. Did 6 butts on one, & 2 briskets on the other... then did 10lbs of wings on my gasser. Sure, the briskets are a tight fit, but not unmanageable.
smokin Jim
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21 12 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also heard of some people using the charcoal ring/basket from the 18" in the 22" and having great results with a lower fuel consumption. If all you have is the larger WSM then making a smaller charcoal ring is not hard or expensive.
VC5007 gasser
KCBS CBJ
NaughtyNurse
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21 12 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had that choice I didn't hesitate to get the 22.5" just for the capacity.
I can't speak for fuel consumption on the 18.5", but I use an Auber controller and by draping a welding blanket over the WSM my fuel consumption is less than 1.5 pound of lump an hour. Compared to my Good-One that uses over 3 pounds an hour, I won't complain.
KCBS CBJ
FEC-100, FE/PG1000, 22" WSM, Good-One Rodeo, Big Steel Keg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: