FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help-Trying to get my BBQ sauce in supermarket chain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
G's BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08 07 9:15 am    Post subject: Need help-Trying to get my BBQ sauce in supermarket chain Reply with quote

Bottling, insurance and UPC code are done with.

For those of you who have your sauce in a supermarket:
What profit margin are they looking for?

I have a market thats interested but I have no idea what to charge them. I do have a retail price in mind tho...

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction...

Thanks
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08 07 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all depends on what sort of place it is, and the margin between your costs, and what you feel is a good price point for their sales.

Most supermarkets like to be in the 25 - 27 % profit per item on general sale, some things they are making more than that on, but there is very little they are willing to make less than that on.

So if you know the price point you have in mind to have them sold at, you can work backwards to the wholesale price, ofcourse you might need to consult with their buyer to se what they are looking for, as if you go too high they may not want to buy from you.

I still work here!
G's BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08 07 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoEzzy wrote:

So if you know the price point you have in mind to have them sold at, you can work backwards to the wholesale price, ofcourse you might need to consult with their buyer to se what they are looking for, as if you go too high they may not want to buy from you.

Thats exactly the info I need as thats the way I was going to handle it...

thanks

any other info is appreciated
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08 07 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of the bigger chains will make you pay to stock thier shelves, then send you the profit from sales.

My spice providers have had the opportunity to get thier products in Super-Targets, and boy did they have to jump thru some hoops to make it happen. Then came the cost of shipping pallets of the product at thier expense. It has worked out well though, I think the last order was for 30,000 plus spice jars! Very Happy

Keep us posted Gordon!
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08 07 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that whole foods looks for around 40% markup on products...good luck getting your sauce into stores...i know that it has been difficult for us...sending out lots of samples and not really hearing anything back...
G's BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09 07 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the info. I do have an in at this place as my Aunt knows the owner and buyer very well. It is like a Whole foods market. 3 stores and very popular-slight upscale...

I'll keep ya posted...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: