FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pit design nearing completion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
snappybob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17 12 2:59 am    Post subject: Pit design nearing completion Reply with quote

I hope my build does not take as long as the design. Laughing
The last time I built a pit I looked for a site like this but none existed or at least I could not find one. That was 1997. This time I not only had access to design parameters but also design tools. Hopefully the excessive design effort will payoff in a better pit and easeir build. Comments? I am a little nervous about the placement of the stack. I was under the immpression that it should be slightly above the grill. Should it be higher or is it OK where it is? All other comments welcome. Now is the time to spots the 'Gotchas'.

The pit is 24" X 48" with 24" X 18" firebox. The firebox is slightly longer than the calculator stated. I think this just effected the stack length.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17 12 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snappybob, that is a pretty pic no doubt. Very Happy Print it out and tape it to the wall that way you can throw darts at it when things don't work out as planned. Laughing
Seriously I would be nervous with the stack placement as well. Personally I would move it to the top without any hesitation.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Manana
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17 12 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could get one in pretty colors like that. Black is so boring.
The artist formerly known as Liar #95
(until beertooth whined) NOW Liar #96
Char-Griller Smokin Pro w/SFB
Char-Griller Akorn Kamado
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17 12 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snappybob wrote:
Quote:
I am a little nervous about the placement of the stack. I was under the immpression that it should be slightly above the grill.

This seems to be "one" of the great debates. Ive been around cookers with stacks low and mine are up high and I cant personally tell any difference in more or less smoke flavor or anything else. My stacks are up high and I get great taste everytime. Very Happy

Manana wrote:
Quote:

I wish I could get one in pretty colors like that. Black is so boring.

Just whip out that checkbook and you can get about any color you want Wink
briandude

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17 12 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stack on my smoker is centered on the end of my chamber, more or less like in your design. I think it works fine. Every time I open up a door, there is smoke all around inside the chamber... I can't tell that it really makes a difference either.

Homemade 80 Gallon Offset Smoker
Brinkmann Smoke-n-Pit Pro
Brinkmann Charcoal bullet smoker
Brinkmann Electric bullet smoker
and of course, a gas grill...
Coming Soon: UDS?

See my homemade cooker build here.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17 12 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snappybob...yup, nice picture. Very Happy The design software is nice to have, I use a freebie and it does help in calculating my steel purchase and as a general guideline. It is called Sketchup and while I can dimension with it...it is still a sketch, i believe k.a.m. uses a coffee table napkin, his works as well or better Shocked As long as you have no visions of pre-cutting your material and assembling it i.e. " insert part A into slot B" the drawing will be a nice aid. I wouldn't go much further into it however 'cause it ain't a gonna work quite like that in your shop. Wink As far as stack placement... the grate level stack impression you have may have come from those that have a top side stack and have run it on down into the cooker...running it down to your grates is a rehab / modification trick for a leaky smoker for the most part ( k.a.m. usually includes this in his explanation but he must have been running low on the 'ol milwaukee and had to dash out in a hurry) but in your case, running it from the side should work fine. There should be no need in running on into the cooker up to the grates tho as this just cramps the available space in your cooker. Hope this was of some assistance. Very Happy Wink
snappybob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17 12 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments. I think I will split the difference and move the stack up about midway between the top of the cooker and the grill. I know, weird colors huh. Very Happy When using this software it's good to assign each component a different color. It helps to see the design intent. If I would have assigned each component the color black the pic would have just looked like a big black blob without much detail. In spite of popular belief, if the components are made in the shop the way they are made in the software, it will work that way in the shop. I've been designing and fabricating with this software for over 15 years. The components in our vehicles all looked like this on a computer screen at one time with the same silly colors. Unless of couse it's a really old vehicle. Anyway it's very correct to say that making the part on the computer is much different than making the real part. As always, changes will be made on the shop floor as the situation mandates but at least I know where I'm going even if I'm not sure how I will get there. Very Happy At least I'm confident that the ratios between my fire box, main chamber and stack are well within the ball park. That helps considerably. Thanks again.
BabyHuey
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17 12 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snappy, Your design looks great. I think it is a good thing to have a vision and plan before you dive in. Great work...

in terms of the stack placement. I have done them both ways and on my most recent pit, have my stacks in almost the exact placement you have. I actually like it better than the pit I have with the stack up high. The pit has more even temps from top to bottom, and my theory on that is the fact heat rises, and with tuning plates you get some radiant heat. Placing the exhaust just above the grate seems to ballance these two conditions.

Good luck and you have a great start. Enjoy going back to this design concept after the pit is built and you have been using it for awhile. It will remind you of all the thoughts, ideas, and passion you put into it....I often go back and look at my drawings. There is a sense of occomplishment and satasifaction and you will not regret the time you put into this before you started the build.

Link to my pit build slideshow:

http://s333.photobucket.com/albums/m398/LilBabyHuey/?action=view¤t=4675c7d7.pbw
smootz
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17 12 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 500 RF has a low "slot" for the exhaust that transitions into a stack. That is only because the client (my nephew) wanted it that way. It works super well but after following tons of builds here I may or may not do it again. Experienced builders here say it doesn't matter and I believe them.

What is interesting is that you have sketched a left handed cooker. Most I see have the firebox on the right. Any particular reason for reversing it? For that matter is there any reason why so many are on the right?
snappybob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17 12 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left or right. Tha's an interesting question Smootz. I wondered the same thing. Everyone you see has the fire box on the right. Having it on the left just worked out better for me. Where I live the prevailing wind is from the South East. For the location where this pit is going a right handed fire box would have put the stack on the left. That would have the smoke drifting from the left side of my BBQ area all the way to the right side. I actually designed it with a right handed fire box early on but changed it after thinking about it for a bit. I can't think of any good reason why they would need to be right or left handed. I think it's because most people are right handed, including me, so most things tend to be right hand prominent naturally. Maybe I'll find out why they do them that way when I keep putting the meat in the fire box and building fires in the main chamber and wondering why my briskets are always so rare. Laughing
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18 12 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snappybob wrote:
Left or right. Tha's an interesting question Smootz. I wondered the same thing. Everyone you see has the fire box on the right. Having it on the left just worked out better for me. Where I live the prevailing wind is from the South East. For the location where this pit is going a right handed fire box would have put the stack on the left. That would have the smoke drifting from the left side of my BBQ area all the way to the right side. I actually designed it with a right handed fire box early on but changed it after thinking about it for a bit. I can't think of any good reason why they would need to be right or left handed. I think it's because most people are right handed, including me, so most things tend to be right hand prominent naturally. Maybe I'll find out why they do them that way when I keep putting the meat in the fire box and building fires in the main chamber and wondering why my briskets are always so rare. Laughing

The heat/smoke is gonna back draft on you because your firebox is on the wrong side. Wink Razz Very Happy Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
snappybob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18 12 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait till I find out I'm going to have to specail order left hand briquetts.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19 12 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snappybob wrote:

Laughing Laughing ...and counterclockwise dial temp gauges and... Very Happy
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19 12 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreckless wrote:
snappybob wrote:

Mike, the cheaper way is to use a mirror. Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19 12 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Wreckless wrote:
snappybob wrote:

Mike, the cheaper way is to use a mirror. Laughing

I'm thinking it would be easier to sell and relocate the household...that left to right thing...I just don't know... you have to use the pit calculator in " - minus" increments as well Rolling Eyes Maybe even change the polarity on the stick welder?
seattlepitboss
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20 12 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh .. is your firebox air intake on TOP? With the fire on the bottom?

No ash cleanout?
briandude

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20 12 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seattlepitboss, I think you're looking at the picture upside down... turn your monitor back over. Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing

Homemade 80 Gallon Offset Smoker
Brinkmann Smoke-n-Pit Pro
Brinkmann Charcoal bullet smoker
Brinkmann Electric bullet smoker
and of course, a gas grill...
Coming Soon: UDS?

See my homemade cooker build here.
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21 12 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your in the northern hemisphere then it has to be on the right,Southern then left. Otherwise the smoke goes down the stack and out the firebox. Wink
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
NAVET
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23 12 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all good if he buys wood or charcoal made in California (Left coast). If it was on the other side he would need charcoal/wood from the East Coast.

Competitive BBQ; The only sport where a fat, bald man can be looked upon as a hero.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: