FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pork Shank -- Smoked?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fisherfrk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28 12 6:01 am    Post subject: Pork Shank -- Smoked? Reply with quote

I just had a wonderful, "slow roasted" pork shank at a local Ale House. I think it was probably braised as well as roasted, but as I ate it, the rich pork flavor begged for some smoke.
Have you ever smoked shanks and if so, do you need to wrap them in bacon or provide fat in some way? I could see them selling at a festival just like a turkey leg, only much better. . .

Webber 22.5"
ECB
Triple Barrel Smoker
"Mower BBQ Please UDS"
3 other UDS
1 BBQ Guru that I love
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28 12 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shank should have all the fat you need without wrapping it in bacon. I love braised pork, beef, veal and lamb shanks. Sure you could smoke it but I think you would be missing the richness produced from a long braise. But what the hell, try a few and see which you prefer. As to selling at festivals like a turkey leg, I see 2 problems with that. One, they take forever to properly prepare and festivals are all about fast food. And two, I am not sure they would hold up to just holding like a turkey leg. You would be cooking until the meat practically falls off the bone in order to melt down all that porky collagen goodness. That would be a kind of messy street food in my opinion.

But as I said, give it a try and post some pics! Smile

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: