FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salt Pork ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 12 9:42 am    Post subject: Salt Pork ??? Reply with quote

Ok, all you Pork Belly Gurus.
I got a recipe from About.com today for Salt Pork.
My question is, "Do you use Cure #1 in the mix?"
Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
* 2 1/2 lbs. boneless pork belly cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
* 10 oz. kosher or other non-iodized salt
* 1/3 cup granulated sugar
* ??? Cure #1 ??? (my add)

Preparation:
Combine the salt and sugar.
Rub the pork belly slices with some of the salt and sugar mixture.
Spread a layer of the sugar and salt mixture on the bottom of a glass, ceramic, or stainless steel container. Place a layer of pork belly slices on top.
Sprinkle the slices with a little more of the salt and sugar mixture. Add another layer of pork slices. Continue adding layers of pork belly slices, sprinkling each layer with the salt and sugar mixture.
Cover and refrigerate. The salt pork will be cured and ready to use in 2 days. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to a year (it is still safe to eat after this, but the flavor declines).
To use, rinse off the salt pork slices. Pat them dry with a paper or clean cloth towel. Cut into cubes or small strips. Cook over low heat until most of the fat is rendered out. Sautee a chopped onion in the rendered salt pork fat and you're well on your way to making great chowder!

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 12 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard cure application rates would apply,

If I was doing salt pork (which I actually have some curing right now at the raunt) I might replace the salt in that recipe with TQ at a ratio of 1 TBS/LB

Or do kosher salt at 1 TBS/LB and 1 level tsp of Cure#1 per each 5 pounds, (1/2tsp for 2.5 pounds stated in this recipe)

Doing straight salt like the recipe calls for will work, but it will not give the texture or the color you will expect with commercially available salt-pork.

Cure does change flavor, it changes the texture, and it retains the natural color of meat.
it is very important to use when smoking at temps between 40-140 to keep bacterial growth in check.

I use salt-pork for my Clam Chowder, and for seasoning vegetable based things like greens, black-eyed peas, etc.
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 12 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harry for the quick reply.
I like the TQ idea.
But will I get the same color and texture that Cure #1 will give me?
I prefer the Cure over TQ on bacon. IMHO, it's just better.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 12 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarhead wrote:
Thanks Harry for the quick reply.
I like the TQ idea.
But will I get the same color and texture that Cure #1 will give me?
I prefer the Cure over TQ on bacon. IMHO, it's just better.

Same thing basically, it is just bound with salt for easier measurement for home users.

There are both nitrites and nitrates in TQ, but it is not recommended for dry-aged meats that are not heat treated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: