FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Horseradish ? Got it but what to do with it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mainely Smoka
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15 12 8:34 pm    Post subject: Horseradish ? Got it but what to do with it Reply with quote

I am a big fan of horseradish.I got a couple of plants 2 years ago and it has taken hold in the garden. I would like to harvest a few roots but dont have a clue on how to process and preserve. Anybody care to share some proven methods on the do's and dont's of fresh horseradish

Thanks in advance

MS
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15 12 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wash the root, peel the outer layer off with a potato peeler, grate into a bowl with white vinegar and water, turn in the bowl to coat with the vinegar/ water mix sprinkle with salt as you turn it.

Put it in a jar, lid and refrigerate!

A 12" piece of root is enough for a small jar.

The longer you leave it before you souse it, (cover with the vinegar/ water mix), the hotter it gets.

Don't go sniffing when grated, it will burn your eyes and nose.

The above recipe was my moms, if you like a finer grated product or even a smooth paste, then use a blender or food processor, put the vinegar / water mix in the blender first if you don't want too much bite.

Here a Google result http://gardenofeatingblog.blogspot.com/2008/04/bitter-herb-preparing-fresh-horseradish.html

I still work here!
Toga
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15 12 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bear will never steer you wrong!

That is exactly how my grandparents prepared it. Freshly grated and prepped horseradish is a thing of beauty. Add some to a bit of mayo and toss it on an onion roll with some fresh roast beef or pastrami with some munster chesse and you have a killer sammy............mmmmmmmmmmm now I am hungry Smile

UDS
ECB x2
Gasser
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15 12 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it hot so I grate it first, then quickly make my water/salt/vinegar mixture and put it together. Also note, you do not need a lot of vinegar. I do it to taste but I guess it is about 10-15% vinegar and the rest water with just a little salt.

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
crbohn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26 12 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are from Collinsville IL, which is the horseradish capital. There are so many things you can do. I mix mine with fancy mustard and it is great on sandwiches and brats!
Rebel 17
Broilmaster C3PK1
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26 12 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When ever we eat prime rib out, we always ask for the "real stuff" over the kind they send out mixed with mayo or sour cream. Wink
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26 12 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've grated and put in olive oil before.
Here are some other ways.
http://www.preservingyourharvest.com/Horseradish.html

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
cowboy45

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26 12 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patruns wrote:
I like it hot so I grate it first, then quickly make my water/salt/vinegar mixture and put it together. Also note, you do not need a lot of vinegar. I do it to taste but I guess it is about 10-15% vinegar and the rest water with just a little salt.

I Like it hot myself. The last batch I made reminded me of the old Brylcreem Commercial. A little dab'll do you. WHOA! Google about the Horseradish Council and you can find lots of info. As many stated the longer before vinegar or water the hotter it gets. I prefer the food processor to break it down smaller to release more enzymes. I tried growing it 2 yrs ago and had a large leafy top but no real root. Don't know?
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26 12 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be carefull or it will take over your garden. After learning the hard way I grow mine in 30 gal. tubs...
Mark A

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26 12 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to add, that if a food chopper is used, do it outside, and keep your face away from the hole.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26 12 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever you decide to do with it, be sure to keep us updated.

I love hot horseradish and as a couple have said, its great on roast beef. My favorite sandwich at work is the shaved smoked roast beef with horseradish mayo and some BBQ sauce.. Now that is some good eating.

For some reason, when you add the horseradish to mayo it kills the heat so I like to add some wasabi to bring the kick back.
LIAR #100
Mish
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26 12 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy wrote:

I love hot horseradish and as a couple have said, its great on roast beef. My favorite sandwich at work is the shaved smoked roast beef with horseradish mayo and some BBQ sauce.. Now that is some good eating.

For some reason, when you add the horseradish to mayo it kills the heat so I like to add some wasabi to bring the kick back.

Why add Wasabi and not just more horseradish?
30in Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27 12 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mish wrote:
roxy wrote:

Because for some reason the wasabi does not mellow out with the mayo like the horseradish does.. It adds some heat back into the mayo mix.

What I am thinking, and I know about as much as mud in the regards of gastronic science.. Horseradish is an acid heat and mayo is a base.. so when you add acid to base one does away with the other..???
LIAR #100
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27 12 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An acid + a base = a salt + water if my memory servers! Wink

I still work here!
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27 12 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, you guys are killing me with all this talk about Horseradish. I love the stuff. I need to get on the googler and find me some to put in the garden!
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Mish
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27 12 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy wrote:
Mish wrote:
roxy wrote:

Because for some reason the wasabi does not mellow out with the mayo like the horseradish does.. It adds some heat back into the mayo mix.

What I am thinking, and I know about as much as mud in the regards of gastronic science.. Horseradish is an acid heat and mayo is a base.. so when you add acid to base one does away with the other..???

I will have to try that, figured since wasabi is green colored horseradish it would mellow as well but maybe the preservatives or something prevent it.
30in Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27 12 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGSnBBQ wrote:
Man, you guys are killing me with all this talk about Horseradish. I love the stuff. I need to get on the googler and find me some to put in the garden!

Bugs, be careful planting it. My father put in two pieces a few years ago, it now has it's own corner of his yard. Shocked

Good stuff though. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: