FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I have Magic Grits ? (Actually about my smoke times)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N8DCJ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10 12 10:50 pm    Post subject: Do I have Magic Grits ? (Actually about my smoke times) Reply with quote

The Magic grits is from a movie , google Magic Grits if you aren't familiar with it ...

Now on to the real question...

It seems no matter what I cook , ribs,PB , chuck roasts , eye of round , whole turkey etc... the time it takes for the meat to get to the proper temp indicated for whatever I want to do with it , is much shorter than what everyone else seems to have to wait for ... I understand that individual pieces may vary , but , this is for everything I have done so far..

I typically try to keep the WSM in the 225-250 range...

My first thought was thermometers , but , I have used 2 oven thermometers , 2 different ET-732's , Thermapen and two other instant read analogs (for IT temp's) and they are all within a 5 degrees of each other. So unless there is some BBQ conspiracy and all the thermometers are off by the same amount I don't think the problem is there either....

The problem is that even though the meat is at the proper temp , I almost always have to put it back on the smoker or in the oven for longer to get it to pull for example...

case in point - yesterday I decided to do a couple of chuck roasts (inspired by Griffin)... They were kind of thin maybe only 1.25" , they were at 170 in less than 2 hours , foiled , then at 212 in about another 45 minutes , I pulled them and let them rest for about 15 minutes. I could tell when I took the foil off there was no way they were in a state that would allow for pulling , so i put them back in the oven at 235 and watched the last 2 hours of the Browns game , sometime after that I took them out of the oven and they pulled very nicely...

It wouldn't bother me iof this was a occasional occurrence , but , it happens on almost every cook Sad Confused

sorry for the long post...

Thoughts ?

Dan
masoncat1
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11 12 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love My Cousin Vinnie, lol.
N8DCJ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11 12 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masoncat1 wrote:
I love My Cousin Vinnie, lol.

yep , to me one of the greatest lines in a movie is when he asks his girlfriend about the pants he is wearing for deer hunting , and she goes into her rant , that is a classic !!!

Dan
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11 12 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta think your cooker is running hotter than you think.....I have no doubt that you are seeing your IT's get to where you want them, but because the aren't pulling I'm thinking that they haven't got that high gently and the collagen and connective tissue haven't had the time to break down enough to allow pulling.......

Do you experience the stall when doing butts and brisket? That's where the magic happens and they turn to butta! Cool

I have experienced what you are talking about and mine was that the pit temp was higher than I thought it was (even though I had a Maverick, etc.)

Good Luck!
Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
Bedlam BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11 12 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are taking the readings for the pit temp? At grate level or from the thermo in the lid? I'm guessing these temps are in the lid, which would run hotter than at grate level. That would affect your cooking time (not cooking as hot as you thought).

When you are checking for IT, are you checking multiple places (and always in the thickest part of the meat)? When I check a brisket with a thermopen, I can get some really high temp readings if I happen to stick it into a section of fat as opposed to the thick part of the meat. That's why I check it all over in several places.

Stumper clone with Stoker
Bedlam BBQ
Competition Team
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11 12 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe its that magical charcoal..??

Razz
LIAR #100
nomad
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11 12 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What is a GRIT?"
capitalism
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12 12 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Your post has certainly grabbed my attention. I keep bouncing it around but the answer is eluding me.

Do you run a guru/stoker?

Have you tried running at 200-225? I prefer that range on my WSM after a 180 overnight start for PP and Brisket.

I'll be watching and I hope you figure it out.

Cheers,
Cap
N8DCJ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12 12 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cap

I just run a standard WSM , use the oven thermo and the ET-732 right on the cooking grate...

your suggestion of the lower temps is what I had decided to try on my next cook .... we shall see if that happens to make things better....

Dan
N8DCJ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12 12 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat and Bedlam

I check the pit temps on the grate , have only been using the upper grate in the WSM.

regarding locations i check the IT , yes I usually check in a few spots with the thermapen..

I haven't tried a brisket yet , but , when I did the PB's , yep I hit the dreaded stall...

Dan
Paddy O'Furniture

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12 12 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"yeah, sure.. I'll try a grit"

"The two Yutes"
pitbullinc
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12 12 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How cold is the meat when you put it on the smoker?
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13 12 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One or two factors making the difference.
#1 your therms are off
#2 Its a WSM .... it really is a vertical and the heat profile is different from that of an offset. While 250 should be 250 in all cookers, it is not. You have 250 and also a line of sight with the coals. you will also get radiant heat as well which will speed up your cooking time. I could go into a long discussion but I am on my second rum and coke Shocked
GeorgeH
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14 12 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thinking is that your meat probe thermometer might be hitting a bone, making it read hotter than it should (or there may be some other reason the reading is high). After you get the meat to temp with your ET-732, try probing the cut all over with your Thermapen. Compare the reading on the side closet to the heat vs farthest away from the heat, top vs bottom.

At what temp are you foiling? I wouldn't foil it at least until the internal temp is 160 or 170. Foil will reduce the cooking time. ...Or you might try not using foil at all.

just some ideas,

George
smokin Jim
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14 12 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no hard and fast rule for when PB or beef is ready to pull by temperature. I have had PB's pull easily at 192F and others had to go to 205F. Also, if you let them rest for a longer time you may get better results. After cooking a good number of butts and beef roasts for pulling, you will probably be better to judge doneness by feel rather than by temperature. Just my 2 cents. And you don't get much for 2 cents these days.
VC5007 gasser
KCBS CBJ
Buckru
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15 12 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of Fred Gwynn's finest work.

Are you mockin me?
Kevan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15 12 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinny Gambini: Regular. Instant grits?
Mr. Tipton: No self-respectin' Southerner uses instant grits. I take pride in my grits.
Vinny Gambini: So, Mr. Tipton, how could it take you five minutes to cook your grits, when it takes the entire grit-eating world twenty minutes?
Mr. Tipton: [a bit panicky] I don't know. I'm a fast cook, I guess.
Vinny Gambini: I'm sorry, I was all the way over here. I couldn't hear you. Did you say you were a fast cook? That's it?
[Mr. Tipton nods in embarrassment]
Vinny Gambini: Are we to believe that boiling water soaks into a grit faster in your kitchen than on any place on the face of the earth?
Mr. Tipton: I don't know.
Vinny Gambini: Well, perhaps the laws of physics cease to exist on your stove. Were these magic grits? I mean, did you buy them from the same guy who sold Jack his beanstalk beans?

Whatch out Roxy or you might throw up in your mouth
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15 12 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevan wrote:
Whatch out Roxy or you might throw up in your mouth

Hey.. I dont mind grits at all.. Just cant stand hominy is all..
LIAR #100
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: