FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finished! , Double barrel smoker build (update 20 Dec 2013)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
M Phil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27 12 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrailerBuilder Yeah I read up on that one!I could have made mine work with a tadpole gasket, but it would have bothered me every time I looked at it. At least now if I still need to add a gasket it’s not because of an obvious 3/8" gap in the ribs.

I had planed on using a stainless steel pan at the bottom of my smoke barrel as the final resting place for the drippins. I'm not sure where I thought I was going to get all the extra space to make it work out. After having the door hole cut looking in, it is now obvious that there will only be a couple inches of drop from my goo gutter to the bottom of the barrel. Even less when you take into account that a flat bottomed pan will not be setting at the lowest spot on a curved surface. I am still going to use the same style diffuser / drippins catcher. Now I have to just drain it all external of the smoke barrel. This is kinda what I have in mind for the diffuser / goo gutter system. I used the most high priced, state of the art graphics design program at my disposal. Microsoft paint! So just pretend that the straight line are straight and the curves are curved.

Here is the layout of my smoke barrel. About an 18.75" diameter barrel. Grate level is about 2" below the center line. The diffuser (blue) is cut from the door sacrifice barrel. It will rest on angle that has been cut in the middle then welded back together at an angle. At the low spot of the weld I will drill a hole for the goo to flow. I will also weld a damn on the outside ends to prevent flow the wrong way. Two pieces of angle will carry the goo from both the front and back gutter to the center/bottom of the barrel and out.

Top view of the diffuser. The intakes are shown here just for reference. They would not be visible from the top. I will cut "V" to allow the heat and smoke to pass through. They will be bigger away from the intakes and small close to the intakes. The green on the ends are extra pieces of the barrel to allow me to adjust how much of a gap is at each end of the diffuser. Providing more adjustment of heat balance. I will screw them to the diffuser once I have done a few practice burns and have them tuned to where I want them. OD green shows grease/goo flow.

When I cut the "V" I will bend the inside edge up to prevent flowing grease from spilling down. I know some of the moisture will drip straight through the notches but most will hit the diffuser and either crisp to it or flow to the gutters.

Top view of the gutters that the front and back edge of the diffuser will rest in. I think the purple circle in the middle will be a 1" hole. I think I will grind a 1" steel couple to match the contour of the barrel. After cutting the hole in the barrel and flaring it down into the couple I will tack it in place to the barrel with the welder. Then seal it completely with furnace cement. I don't think I can weld the whole thing to the thin barrel. I will add a valve so that it doesn't affect my air flow.
M Phil

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13 12 11:03 pm    Post subject: Back at it! Reply with quote

I hope everyone enjoyed there Veterans days and Happy birthday Marines. I wasn’t online over the weekend so I am sorry I am late.

In case I have not mentioned it before, my garage is very high tech and multi faceted. I have my tool boxes and storage closet for my power tools in my laundry room. My bedroom is between that and the sliding glass door. So that becomes a staging point and mock up facility. Then the heavy work is done in my back yard. To say the least this does not make my wife all that happy. These issues make my projects very weather dependent. This weekend was a very welcome change as far as weather goes here in VA.

My wife and I were both in the Corps. We spent Saturday celebrating the Marine Corps Birthday. One of our local restraint/bar owners is a former active duty Marine, and hosts a birthday ball of sorts each year. In case anyone is not aware, there is no such thing as a former Marine. Only active duty Marines, retired Marines, and formerly active duty Marines. Most of Sunday was reserved for, lets say "reflection on the Marine Corps Birthday ". Neither my wife nor I were in any condition to have power tools making noise. Monday was game day.

I had found time a week or so ago to take the smoker apart. I broke the cart down and painted it and had it hanging in my mock up facility (bedroom). Monday morning I put it back together.

I attached all of the fittings to the fire barrel and smoke barrel. Furnace cement was used to seal them to prevent uncontrolled air flow. I also did a little touch up paint on them. It's still wet in the pics.

I also finished the smoke barrel door, Worked out the drain system, braced up the fire barrel to support its weight load, acquired my grate material and figured out how they are going to be installed. It was too dark for my cell phone camera to take decent pic so that will have to wait for the next update.
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13 12 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its looking good M Phil, doesnt look like it will be much longer til she's fired up Very Happy
M Phil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14 12 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what the grille fairy dropped off for me.

I love free stainless steel! It is 20" wide to the grate with about an inch of rod extending past on each side. It's 48" long. The bars are square and about 1/8" wide. The gap is about 1/4" between the bars. It will be big enough for two shelves. The lower one is going to be used as a direct grille with a charcoal tray placed in the smoke barrel from time to time. I am going to cut it so that the bars are running front to back. It makes it easier to pick up deer burgers with a spatula. It will be two pieces so that they can be removed from the door with out taking the end off. The top shelf will only be 15" from front to back and 20" wide. That will also allow it to be removed from the smoker door. I will have small pieces permanently installed on both sides of the top shelf to carry it the full width of the barrel. I should be able to load this thing up with a boat load of salmon or Cornish hens.
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14 12 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mphil shes looking good so far......won't be long now Wink You just got to love ss ......free is even nicer Laughing
M Phil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19 12 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a lot of the stuff I had been putting off done this weekend. Now my back hates me.

I cut 16 of the *&$@! wedges to space out the legs correctly against the barrels.

For those not reading along but surfing pic's. (I do it to) I used 30gal drums instead of the normal 55 gal. For my use the smaller barrels provide plenty of grate space and my hope is a more efficient cooker. We shall see about that second point.

I worked out how I was going to run the plumbing for the drain. I cut the end off of a 1" ID nipple. I threaded it into my 45. Then I dropped two stainless steel 1 1/4" washers over it. (The extra washer was already removed for this pic)

For our purposes here we will say I "welded" the top washer to the nipple chunk. I defiantly used a welder but I have seen the results of welding by welders. In my case I more accurately, angered metal with an electrical current and caused it to stick together. That gave me a bolt with a 1" hole down the middle to attach the 45 to the barrel.

The top barrel if finally attached to the smoker and sealed. The plumbing for the drain is installed. I am going to add a support from the drain pipe down to the fire barrel to relieve the stress on the bottom of my smoke barrel. That thing is about 16-18 inches long and I think it would provide plenty of leverage to mess up the bottom of the barrel. (Yes that is lighter fluid in the background! NO! I do not use it on my grilles. It is for a fire ring.)

I worked until after it was to dark to see. This isn't a very good pic but this is how she sits now. The smoke box door is attached and the front half of the bottom grate support is in place.

I'm off to OH this week to fill the freezer with deer. In a few weeks when I get back, I will add the fire bricks to the fire barrel. With a make shift fire grate I will do my first burn to cure the paint and see how she runs.
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20 12 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice finish on the pit Very Happy Ill be watching for that first burn and cook Cool
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21 12 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That rocks bro, Nice pit! Very Happy
M Phil

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03 12 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me start this update with a thanks to everyone for there inputs and encouragement on this project.
I am back from OH with a turkey and a few squirrels. I only was able to get one deer this year but I am thankful to at least have that.

The grille fairy dropped me another piece of stainless while I was in OH. It is a little over sized right now but it will be used for a deck for the cart.

Now I have to take this thing apart again! Oh well better now then with the cooking grate support and gutter system fully installed.

Last edited by M Phil on Wed Dec 05 12 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03 12 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ss will put the finishing touch to a great build....enjoy
davefan360

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05 12 12:25 pm    Post subject: nice build Reply with quote

nice pigs from FL and good job on the deer. I got 2 myself in MI. a doe and my first buck a wide 6 point. Can;t wait to see the end results of your build.
M Phil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05 12 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will not get anything done on the cooker until this weekend. Then only if the weather holds for me.

I will get a second chance at deer in January. OH has a 4 day muzzle loading season then. I hunt with my muzzle loader durring the regular gun season in OH so it doesn't change my hunting style at all.
M Phil

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17 12 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we're off.....

Installed the grate on the cart. I love it.

I was lucky to be given that grate before I had too much of the cooking chamber finished. The two barrels with connecting hardware and doors were not too heavy for my wife and me to move.

I have the bottom cook grate trimmed to fit. They still need a little touch up but they will cook as they are for now.

I didn't think to pop a pic with the grates out to show there support structure. I have two pieces of angle iron bolted to the front and back of the cook barrel to hold the grates up. Due to the curve of the barrel and grates being below the center line of the barrel, the angles are not square to each other. I cut another piece of angle to go on the lid side of the barrel to prevent it from flexing. Because of the odd angle of the grate supports I welded that piece to the grate supports instead of trying to bolt it.

The smoker is once again attached to its cart.

I have my fire brick. I still need to buy and install a gasket on the barrel lids to keep uncontrolled air from the fire and prevent smoke/heat escaping the cook chamber. Then I need to fashion a fire grate and we will be doing our first test burn. When I started this my goal was to be finished by Thanks giving. I don't see any reason why that shouldn't happen. I never said which Thanks giving!
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18 12 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that ss grate gave that bad boy a nice look...as i see it i think you said new years Wink Laughing Wink
M Phil

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21 12 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't feel well yesterday, so I took the day off. After sleeping in I felt a bit better so didn't want to waste the day.

Here is a pic of the cooking grate support that I mentioned in my last post. I welded this cross support to connect the front and back grate support to strengthen the barrel on the open end.

There is a cross support attached to the sides of the fire barrel as well. It does the same thing. Keeps the sides from springing out when the weight pushes down from above.

After dropping the fire bricks in place, I welded up the fire grate from rebar then tacked 1/2" expanded steel on top of it.

Once again didn't remember to take another pic. I will have to get it later. I picked up 12 feet of 5/8" rope gasket. It pressed into the lip of the barrel lids just right. When I clamped the rings on the barrel lids it sealed up great.

Must admit I got the idea for an ax handle from another cooker I have seen online. I cut the ax head side at a curve to make it look more natural. I installed both of my tru-tel thermometers a little above the grate level. My digital multimeter has a pyrometer prob. I stuck it in the cook chamber near the probs and they both read the same as the DMM. I did this several time during the first burn.

I fired up a full chimney of charcoal to start. When they were going strong I dumped them onto the grate. I spread them down the middle of the grate and with all the intakes full open let the temp come up. At 225 I choked them back to about 50% and the temp settled at 250 and held for about half an hour. Playing with the dampers going into the cook chamber I was able to balance the two thermometers. After the half hour I choked the intakes down to about 25% and the temp settled at about 225. I let it set there for a little while until I was confident that it had stabilized. I opened up the fire barrel and loaded it with a bunch of scrap lumber that I wanted gone. It was untreated, mostly pine, a wee bit of oak and a little walnut. I opened the vents full tilt and let the temp climb to just shy of 700 deg. It was stabilized at that temp with about 90% intake. I let her chug along at that temp for about 2 hours to remove anything that may have been introduced during the build (oil/paint). I had to add more fuel about 45 minutes into that. After the approximate two hours, I brought the temp down to about 300. I then opened the cook chamber and wiped it out with an alcohol rag to remove the creosote from the pine fire. Then I coated everything with Pam. The fire had burned down to light coals so I piled charcoal over them to cook the oil to the cook chamber. This is the only time it will see pine wood. I just wanted to get the cooker hot and rid myself of scrap lumber. This is a stick burner not a coal burner. But I will be lighting charcoal as my base for my fires. Then just addin wood on top of them for my cooks. I didn’t season the cook grates. I still have a little trimming to perfect there fit. Then I will just wash them and coat them with oil before a cook.

I still have to install the drain/baffle system before cooking. I also want to add a shelf on the side for a dig thermo with a hole to pass the probs. The cook chamber door doesn't seal as well as I would like but I have some latches that should correct that. The ring on the top barrels lid still needs to be stripped and painted with hi-temp paint. Here is what she looks like right now.

Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21 12 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M Phil the axe handle put the finishing touch on a real nice build Cool

looks from the pics that you have to be tall to run her Wink

good luck with her.
M Phil

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21 12 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is misleading in the pics. It’s skinny so it looks taller than it is. It’s about 38" to the grate. Even had I used 55 gal drums it would have only been about 45" to the cook grates. They all look taller than that.
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21 12 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice finish. Nice work on the entire build. Very Happy
QObsession
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21 12 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil a double barrel smoker was the first pit I built. You will love it. If you have no shortage of wood in your area start the pit with 3 nice pieces with a weed burner and let here go. You will use about one stick every 30 to 45 minutes. I live in Fort Lauderdale, wood is hard to come by or very expensive, so I started using a charcoal basket as long as the fire box. I would fill it with coal, start the coal then when it was up to temp, I would lay one log on top, and load my meat. Great smoke flavor, you will love this smoker. Keep it clean of ash grease and it will last you until you start itching for a bigger cooker.
J0K3R-X
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23 12 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Nice!! Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: