FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

salt for cures?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawg
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21 12 2:50 pm    Post subject: salt for cures? Reply with quote

with the use of salt for curing such as bacon do you use table salt or sea salt? I'm wanna try my hand at buckboard and canadian bacon after the holidays. Also does one use brown sugars or sugar in the raw or just plain table sugar?
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21 12 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Sea salt and Kosher salt, not table salt.

For sugar I've used white granulated, golden brown sugar, dark brown sugar, and sugar in the raw in different cures.

I often add molasses so the darkness of the sugar doesn't matter as much, as I add more in there anyway!

I still work here!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21 12 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regular table salt has Iodine in it, Iodine tastes bitter, so Kosher salt is recommended, sea salt would be too expensive for such heavy use, and the trace minerals in it may cause some off flavors.
dawg
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25 12 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about TQ? as i have some of that also. do you use TQ in same portioning as salt?
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25 12 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might help us more to see your recipe and the weights.
Dry or wet cure?

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
dawg
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25 12 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have no recipes, just what im trying to learn here. i plan on doing a dry cure and i have 12lbs of pork butts not trimmed or deboned yet. i want to attempt buckboard bacon for now
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25 12 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Cowgirl's recipes. They are very good.
http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2007/12/making-canadian-bacon.html
Harry Nutz has some good ones here on the Ring as well.
Just make sure you weigh EACH piece of meat to be cured and make your cure accordingly.
Pack each one separately.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
dawg
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31 12 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok fellas ive done some reading and think im gonna screw up. I'm attempting my first try at BBB, i split two butts into four 3lb slabs used 1TBS each of kosher salt and sugar per pound of meat. been curing since wednesday the 26th. now i plan on cold smoking them to IT of 150, but i used NO cure. so do i cold smoke them or go with a hot smoke?
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31 12 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawg wrote:
ok fellas ive done some reading and think im gonna screw up. I'm attempting my first try at BBB, i split two butts into four 3lb slabs used 1TBS each of kosher salt and sugar per pound of meat. been curing since wednesday the 26th. now i plan on cold smoking them to IT of 150, but i used NO cure. so do i cold smoke them or go with a hot smoke?

Whatever you do DON'Tcold smoke it, you will kill someone! Cold smoking requires meat to sit in the danger zone and the deadliest bacterias known to man can and most likely will form. Also, it won't cure like bacon, the meat is going to be grey and will not have the taste we associate with bacon. Sodium nitrite is crucial to safely cure meats like bacon. With that said, you can hot smoke it, but the end product is going to be more like bbq meat than bacon, still good but it will be a different animal. Search around next time for some cure #1 or Prague Powder. If you can't find it a good butcher might give you some (if you are buying some meat). Just make sure whatever cure you use that you follow the amount needed exactly. For dry cured bacon, 1 level teaspoon of cure #1 or Prague Powder per 5lbs of meat.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01 13 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawg wrote:

You are not going to get anything that resembles bacon or cured meat out of what you have made, you will get a salty/sweet pork roast, that's about all.

You need a curing agent to make bacon, it must contain sodium nitrite to chemically alter the meat,

The easiest way is to get Morton's Tender Quick, use 1 TBS per pound to cure the meat, and figure 1/4" of cure penetration per 24 hours (from all sides)

Do not cold smoke that meat, please have a smoker temperature of at least 200 degrees so you do not create a science experiment with deadly consequences.
BBQonICE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01 13 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
dawg wrote:

You are not going to get anything that resembles bacon or cured meat out of what you have made, you will get a salty/sweet pork roast, that's about all.

You need a curing agent to make bacon, it must contain sodium nitrite to chemically alter the meat,

The easiest way is to get Morton's Tender Quick, use 1 TBS per pound to cure the meat, and figure 1/4" of cure penetration per 24 hours (from all sides)

Do not cold smoke that meat, please have a smoker temperature of at least 200 degrees so you do not create a science experiment with deadly consequences.

I double dog second the cure thingy for bacon....
dawg
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01 13 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok well i guess i will chock this up to ignorance. thanks for your insights, i did order some insta cure #1 this am and will give it another shot when i recieve it!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02 13 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawg wrote:
ok well i guess i will chock this up to ignorance. thanks for your insights, i did order some insta cure #1 this am and will give it another shot when i recieve it!

Please be very precise with your measurements when using a cure, the active ingredient is only 6.25% of the total weight, and to give you an idea of how potent the stuff is, 4-onces will cure 100 pounds of meat.

If you took the active ingredient (Sodium Nitrite) in its pure form, 1/3rd of a teaspoon is all that is needed to kill an adult male.

So please please measure properly, winging it and estimating is not good enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: