FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new smoker coming this weekend.. need advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cadmaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27 12 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I decide RF hybrid.. is it as easy as closing the top of one of the stacks to change from RF to standard and visa versa? If that's it than yessir, RF hybrid.. I only ask cause I'm thinking of the difficulty in finding someone to do advanced welding..
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28 12 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I am jumping in on this late, The firebox size of 24x24x24 will work just fine. The opening into the cooking chamber will be your only concern since you are going with the 6in. exhaust stack. Keep in mind that RF's use more fuel and an adjustable foot (at the hitch) is a must because you can use it to adjust the temp as well. Both Kam and I have hybrids and I love mine. Mine is a little different configuration but it is a good choice. One suggestion, on the warming box install a 2 inch sliding vent on the first shelve and seal the first shelve from the second. The first will act as an oven and the vent can be used to adjust the temp. The second will be the actual warming box.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28 12 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cadmaster, yes changing from R/F to tuning plates is as easy as closing one of the exhausts and shifting the plates. I would set the top of the firebox 4" below the top of the lowest grate. I would install a 6" wide fixed deflector angled down to 5" below the top of the lowest grate. The deflector should be a continuation of the top of the firebox with out the drop down you show in your diagram. You need 110.59 Sq. in. for your firebox to cooking chamber opening.
A half moon opening of 17" wide x 8.5" tall will give you a 113.49Sq. in. opening this is slightly larger than you need but when you add a 1.5" grease bridge you will be back in line.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
cadmaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30 12 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kam, soezzy, and alien.. thanks for the knowledge.. i took your advice, updated the plan, and am meeting with a welder today and tomm.. im sure i will have a couple of more questions tomm or monday..

thanks again fellas!
cadmaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06 13 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized I have a sheet of 3/16th inch.. I plan on insulating my fire box.. I was going to purchase a quarter inch sheet.. does anyone see an issue with using 3/16 inside skin then inch gap filled with insulation then 3/16 skin on the outside also? If I need to buy quarter inch I will but if 3/16 will work than I will use it.. The firebox will be framed out with 1 inch tube steel.. I just don't want and issue with warping or any other issues..

anyone have a 3/16th or even an 1/8 inch firebox and have had any issues?

thanks for your response fellas!
GeorgeH
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06 13 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cadmaster wrote:
I just realized I have a sheet of 3/16th inch.. I plan on insulating my fire box.. I was going to purchase a quarter inch sheet.. does anyone see an issue with using 3/16 inside skin then inch gap filled with insulation then 3/16 skin on the outside also? If I need to buy quarter inch I will but if 3/16 will work than I will use it.. The firebox will be framed out with 1 inch tube steel.. I just don't want and issue with warping or any other issues..

anyone have a 3/16th or even an 1/8 inch firebox and have had any issues?

thanks for your response fellas!

If it were me, I'd just put the insulation on the outside. It would be a lot more work insulating both sides. Plus, you want a nice think piece of steel closest to the heat so it will wear longer.

George
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06 13 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I have a choice I will always use 1/4" metal for my firebox interior wall. In my opinion 3/16" just doesn't have the beef to hold up to the rigors of firebox heat.

Hybrid Cooker
cadmaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06 13 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

understood, i will keep 1/4" skin on the inside.. u see an issue with 3/16 or even 1/8" for the outer skin though? or keep 1/4 for outer skin also?

im trying to save some weight.. this firebox isnt going to be light.. if i can go with a lighter outer skin that would help..

thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: