FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it dangerous to smoke on a wooden patio
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bouyachaka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10 13 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Pretty big fires, I agree! You convinced me not to buy a charcoal smoker fot this place! Do you think an electric smoker is safer?
gotwake
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10 13 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get both a wsm and an electric smoker...When you feel like smoking on the wsm take it to a state park and cook. I did this many times when I lived in the dorms in college. You can make a day out of cooking and enjoy the scenery. It is just a thought. Good luck to you.
LIAR #99
TX727
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10 13 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotwake wrote:
Get both a wsm and an electric smoker...When you feel like smoking on the wsm take it to a state park and cook. I did this many times when I lived in the dorms in college. You can make a day out of cooking and enjoy the scenery. It is just a thought. Good luck to you.

Agreed! Use the electric on the patio and the smoker anywhere else but, ,lol.
bouyachaka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10 13 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotwake
Quote:
Get both a wsm and an electric smoker...

TX727
Quote:
Agreed! Use the electric on the patio and the smoker anywhere else but, ,lol.

Yea don't have enough money for that... For the moment I will just buy an electric one and use my propane grill to finish or start cooking on higher temp. BTW I was considering after reading posts to buy a MES30... Is that the best option according to you folks? My price range is between 200 CDN$-350 CND$ (MES30's price is 245 CDN$ at http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Outdoor-Living/Seasonal/Barbecues/Smokers/Electric/30-Electric-Smoker/_/N-ntmdm/R-I6480971 ).

Ps : How was your brisket TX727?
tinovr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10 13 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is my setup also..

BBcue-z wrote:
I’m not recommending smoking/grilling on a wooden patio and especially that high up. My WSM was knocked over by gusty wind once. And I would definitely check the local codes.
However, I do use these auto drip pans under my grills and smoker for protection.
Free Image Hosting
They’re very light, fire resistance and cost $11 at Wal Mart. You’ll find them in the Auto care section.

bouyachaka

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11 13 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinovr :
Quote:
this is my setup also..

Yeah but look at TrailerBuilder's reply, I can't afford the risk to burn down the appart, it is all I have Confused ...

I don't know if electric smokers are 100% safe but I think it's still more safe than light a fire on a wooden desk on the top floor of a 4 unit facilicty.

Best regards!
tinovr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11 13 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you nailed it.. It's about "risk". Everything we do in life involves some sort of risk. And we evaluate the rewards associated with that risk, and try to minimize the risk of the negative repercussions.

This is the same case. Minimize the risk YOU are willing to take. That will always be different than the risk someone else is willing to take.

I always use the oil pan, and cook overnight only when it's forecast to be relatively calm winds. I have working smoke and CO detectors, and live in a one family house. So I try my best to minimize MY risk.

I've been scared more by fires in my gas grill from when the wife preheats it for too long (it gets up over 600°) and the bottom pan with all the crud catches fire, than any cook with my WSM.
bouyachaka

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12 13 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice philosophical answer!

For myself there are two criterias in my mind : qualitative criteria and quantity criteria.

Different people said that there was a risk (non neglectable) : for wtv reason someone or me makes the hot charcoal lay down on my wooden desk. The consequence, if that happens, can be the lost of my appartment (without gettin any insurances and probably get sued in a damage-interest lawsuit).

The odds that som1 or me put the hot charcoal on the desk depends on too much factors (wind, stupidity, drunkness, a bird crashin it) so I can't calculate the odds that it will happen but it can happens.

On the other hand, the quantity criteria that remains is what can I loose frome the happening of the qualitative criteria? I loose anything. All my money and possibly get myself into more debts after a lawsuit in civilian responsability from the other co-landlords.

I think it is wise, even if you can't mesurate the qualitative criteria (but I know it CAN happen) to fear enough the quantity criteria (and result) that the first can occur.

Here are my reasons Cool Have a good night folks!

ps: I'm sorry for my bad english, my first language is French, as I'm a french-canadian. Maybe my legal references will sound weird because I'm talking in terms of french-canadien civil law.
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12 13 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good way to think this thru...i think you have made a wise choice. the que will taste better knowing you did the right thing. good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: