FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dried kielbasa cure?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
06switchback

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11 13 8:24 am    Post subject: dried kielbasa cure? Reply with quote

I made kielbasa the same as I have a half dozen times it came out great so I brought about 6 lbs to my uncle who dries Italian sausage and he hung it for me and its even better I use pink cure #1 in my kielbasa and bring the temp up to 152 when I smoke it my question is am I useing the right cure and how long can I keep this stuff around (like its gonna last anyway)
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11 13 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the temp in the smoker where he is going to "Hang" it?
When you say "Dry" it, then I am thinking along the lines of a cure #2.
Something I don't know anything about, nor do I want to.

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11 13 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it gets any heat treating at all (you stated it gets taken to an internal of 152) such as cooking, no matter how long the cook process takes, Then it gets Cure #1. Even with bacon, although the smoking process of bacon is not supposed to cook the belly, frying or baking it later on does.

Cure #2 is for items that do not get cooked at all, at any point before consumption.

What are the differences between cure #1, & cure #2 is Nitrite versus Nitrate;
Think of Cure #1 as an instant-release medication compared to a time-release medication, Cure #1 works instantly, whereas as cure #2 works at a slower pace where Nitrates convert to Nitrites over a period of time so a month or two down the road, there are still active ingredients keeping the meat from becoming an active experiment in growing an excess of C. Botulinum and it's highly toxic spores.

If you use Cure #2 in a product that gets heat, you have a higher chance of producing "Nitrosamines", which will do unwanted nasty things to healthy human cells.

Do not ever interchange these 2 very different cure formulations.

I snagged the following from here http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-making/curing

American Cures

Cure #1 (also known as Instacure #1, Prague Powder #1 or Pink Cure #1)
For any aspiring sausage maker it is a necessity to understand and know how to apply Cure #1 and Cure #2, as those two cures are used worldwide though under different names and with different proportions of nitrates and salt. Cure #1 is a mixture of 1 oz of sodium nitrite (6.25%) to 1 lb of salt. It must be used to cure all meats that will require smoking at low temperatures. It may be used to cure meats for fresh sausages (optional).
Cure #2 (also known as Instacure #2, Prague Powder #2 or Pink Cure #2)
Cure #2 is a mixture of 1 oz of sodium nitrite (6.25%) along with 0.64 oz of sodium Nitrate (4%) to 1 lb of salt. It can be compared to the time-releasing capsules used for treating colds. It must be used with any products that do not require cooking, smoking or refrigeration and is mainly used for products that will be air cured for a long time like country ham, salami, pepperoni, and other dry sausages. Both Cure #1 and Cure #2 contain a small amount of FDA approved red coloring agent that gives them a slight pink color thus eliminating any possible confusion with common salt and that is why they are sometimes called “pink“ curing salts. Cure #1 is not interchangeable with Cure #2 and vice versa.

06switchback

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12 13 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys I think I was lucky and got this one right the first time
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: