FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoker on trailer question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cadmaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07 13 9:16 pm    Post subject: Smoker on trailer question Reply with quote

hopefully have enough money saved next month to start my new smoker build.. my smoker is on a trailer.. you walk up on the ramp trailer to get to the cooking chamber.. everything is accessible from the trailer (not enclosed).. most of the pictures i look at the trailer just holds everything and you walk around the outside of the trailer, on the ground to get everything..

is there a particular reason why most trailers are not walk on like im thinking of building? or is it just preference?

just making sure im not missing anything

thanks!
Jarhead
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07 13 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the answer is, "How do you plan on using it?"
If you are gonna vend, take a look at Kevin's (k.a.m) build. That way, later you can add a roof and wings.
I'll let him tell you which build it is. I gotta get back to my 25# of sausage.
Good Luck
S/F

Jarhead's World Blog
KCBS CBJ & HMFIC Debbie's Q Shack
cadmaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08 13 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this wont be for vending.. just cooking for friends and possibly amateur competition if i get the nerve..

i live in florida, and it rains.. a lot here.. so i figured walking on a trailer instead of ground was logical.. but noticed most smokers are accessed from ground.. so i thought i may be missing something
enduro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09 13 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what type of cooker you have, but you have to remember that a trailer can only be a maximum of 102" wide if it's going to pulled down the road. Before you start your build, may I suggest that you cordon off a space that you're considering using on the trailer and then run a cook or two within that space to see if it really works for you. 102" doesn't leave much wiggle room.
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09 13 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If 102" don't work you can always make fold down catwalks...they look pretty trick also. JM2C
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09 13 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part it's a two folk answer IMO.

I've cooked from the inside of trailers at competition and I've cooked outside, the days I cook inside, my poor old knees and thighs take a pounding, and it takes me twice as long to get over a Friday Saturday cook than if I've been on one level.

Though I know that that is because the steps we have are two large, (high), steps If I build myself some, (building code), regulation steps, I'd have three steps at each door!

The other side to it is floor size. If you have a walk on trailer and a larger pit, you don't get a whole lot of floor area to walk on, especially on a small trailer, if you follow the rules and regulations about overhangs etc. With a 30" pit on a 5' wide trailer you have just 30" left to play with, other than coolers that you take off the trailer that's not a whole lot of usable space if you are walking on it. However with a 60" trailer and a 30" pit, you can walk all round it and have storage or a grill, of two burner frying section and still have room to spread out.

I still work here!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09 13 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My deck is 72" wide and my cooker is 30" in diameter. We have plenty of working room once you get used to working together. I also built my prep and cutting table to fold out so we are working under a wing and over the fender this made a big difference. I think the major difference is as SoEzzy said. The constant up and down wears some folks out, it does not bother me because I am for the most part on my feet all day at work while Debbie my wife is not. A full day on the cooker is hard on her knees and my steps are ADA approved height. Would we change not likely because working on a deck in our opinion is better than standing in mud at a sloppy comp.
I hope this helps. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
cadmaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09 13 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perfect, so there is no science or particular reason for accessing the smoker from the ground.. just preference.. my reason was strickly for weather, like i said im in florida.. downpours for an hour everyday during the summer.. so the ground is almost always wet/muddy

my trailer is 5 feet wide.. 30" dia smoker (8" hangs over side/wheel fender) that leaves 38" clear.. i have tables but they fold outside of trailer, so that doesnt encroach the 38".. cowboy wok, burner, and sink is at the end.. ramp up to deck instead of steps.. wood storage below smoker

Im 5'5, so 38" works well

thanks fellas!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: