FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

aqcuiring competition ready ribs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cadmaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18 13 10:16 am    Post subject: aqcuiring competition ready ribs Reply with quote

i was talking with a friend earlier and he mentioned my ribs tasted great and were fall off bone ready.. and it got me thinking, if i ever want to try some amateur competition "fall off the bone" is not what judges look for.. after doing some research i found "half moon bite and then the rest of the meat comes off easily" is a good direction to go in.

i typically always do 3-2-1 method, throw in apple juice and butter in the 2 hour part..

Question is, can comp ready ribs be achieved with 3-2-1 method? or is it too long, or is there a different method in competition?.. what is a good indicator that ribs are just before fall off bone.. comp ready

thanks for advice!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18 13 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cadmaster, you will find it hard to get bite through ribs with a 3-2-1 method they soften up to much. A shorter cook time is going to be needed.
To say you do not want fall off the bone ribs in competition is not entirely true. In IBCA competition the judges cannot handle the rib with their hands they use a cheap fork so your ribs had better be near fall off the bone. Even in IBCA my ribs rarely cook longer than five hours. Finding the right temp and time is part of perfecting your ribs. Practice, practice, practice. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Chef
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19 13 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
cadmaster, you will find it hard to get bite through ribs with a 3-2-1 method they soften up to much. A shorter cook time is going to be needed.
To say you do not want fall off the bone ribs in competition is not entirely true. In IBCA competition the judges cannot handle the rib with their hands they use a cheap fork so your ribs had better be near fall off the bone. Even in IBCA my ribs rarely cook longer than five hours. Finding the right temp and time is part of perfecting your ribs. Practice, practice, practice. Very Happy

He has hit the nail on the head
X1
cadmaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19 13 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.. guess i watched to much bbq pitmasters on tv (not recently though).. i thought fall off the bone was wrong for competition.. but i guess each comp has differ rules.

i figured 3-2-1 was too long.. i realize everyone has different methods, but is it still commong to foil ribs at comps? reason i ask is if i do decide to do amateur comps next year, i dont want to look ridiculous if im the only one with wrapped foiled ribs!

ive tried em without foiling, i like em better foiled

thanks!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19 13 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cadmaster, it is common to foil. I do know a few teams experimenting with no foiled ribs some like it some are going back to foil. I foil my ribs at comps I also trim to St. Louis the presentation looks better in my opinion. At home I like dry rub full spares no foil and no sauce but that usually wont fly at a competition.

Hybrid Cooker
Copronymous

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19 13 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. is spot-on, especially about IBCA comps. When I cook IBCA, they're boxed WAY more done than I would do for myself or for a MBN comp.
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19 13 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
At home I like dry rub full spares no foil and no sauce but that usually wont fly at a competition.

Usually is a key word as I have gotten 6th or 7th with that method. but another factor to keep in mind for IBCA is the judges are not certified, they are pulled from the crowd/ general public. (there is a head judge who gives guidelines but...)
js-tx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20 13 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are Johnny Trigg, don't worry about people eyeballing your rib cook. I think people keep to themselves in that regard. For comps, you gotta know how they judge and cook accordingly. Like k.a.m says, practice, practice, practice. Very Happy
toymaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20 13 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semper Fi brother. I have found in my vastly limited experience that 3-1-1 works better for spares and 2½-1-45 minutes works better for baby backs. Of course, that is adjusted for type of smoker, outside temp and humidity, color on the ribs after step 1, and ultimately the meat itself. I feel that the 3-2-1 method is better suited for backyard BBQ and fall off the bone ribs.
Brinkmann Grill King Deluxe - Baby
Backwoods Party - Victoria
Weber Smokey Joe - Gretchen

USMC - Semper Fi
If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly
davejschultz
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20 13 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first comp experience was a bit different...local green egg fest rib cook off last year. We finished 29/30 for "tenderness" in judging (still took 14/30 overall ). Our turn in ribs were perfect half moon with tug. I tried a rib from the guy 2 stalls down that won the comp...fall off the bone mush.

Char-Griller Trio 3030 / Masterbuilt 30 Electric / Webber One Touch Gold / Small BGE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: