FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wedding advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kozmic
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu May 09 13 11:48 pm    Post subject: Wedding advice Reply with quote

My Son is getting married. It's kind of a rustic rural type wedding. They are trying to stay economically responsible so i offered to cook for their reception. They weren't big on the idea because they wanted me to "have fun" at their wedding. But to be honest I'm not a social butterfly, I like to be alone with my meat. Embarassed
So, the dilemma is cooking for about 100 people and having enough time to wedding with them.

I was figuring chicken and pulled pork. I figured I can do butts ahead and reheat, or I could smoke in the morning and wrap and rest them at noon while we are tying the knot. Chicken I suppose I could smoke in the morning and hold hot too.
But have never done any kind of hold hot or reheat before. I only cook fresh for family and work functions.

I need some tips and thoughts to make this go smoothly.

Or I need a decent caterer North of Jacksonville, Fl Laughing
mbellot
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 10 13 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Wedding advice Reply with quote

kozmic wrote:
I need some tips and thoughts to make this go smoothly.

Talk him out of it. Wink

Failing that, find a caterer. Even though you aren't a "social butterfly" you need to be enjoying yourself and not working the food.
kozmic
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 10 13 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can honestly say that I have never enjoyed myself at any wedding. Can't see why that would change now.
As far as talking him out of it. That isn't going to happen.
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 10 13 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with mbellot on this. It is not just the meat....it's sides, drinks, setting up to serve, utensils and twenty things you won't think about. If you can at all possibly afford it, hire a guy with a trailer smoker that does this for a living. It can still be rustic, it can still be economically responsible and the grooms family won't be 100% tied up trying to take care of 100 people.
30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 10 13 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have other folks organize the sides, Pulled pork is fine, chicken is a lot of work in any form, try on beef roast type things that can carve & hold for a short time.......
Pork holds fine wrapped, foil, then towels, then dry cooler......
Chicken you could use disposeable pans w/ the fold on lids & hot hold also.....I haven't had that good of luck doing that for any length of time.....gets mushy & oversteamed......
Could do beef to pull or slice & it might be nicer & less time consuming......
Have at least two helpers / carving & serving & do as much pre-setup as you can do before the cerimony so it's not a mad scramble to set out & dish up.......
I'll draw a map of where everything sits ( cookers, prep tables, serving tables, holding tanks & such ) so the amount of moving back & forth & legwork is cut to a minimum......

Congrats to them & Luck & Skill to you !!!!

PS: Unless these two guys above are right & you can comfortably hire out...... Very Happy
It's gonna say on my tombstone: Died of thick, heavy sauces ~~~~>K
" The Creepy Guy Down the Street With All The Webers"
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 10 13 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roast a whole pig. Get some help so you can enjoy a little and be in the required pictures. You don't want to be standing in for pictures looking like Ed Mitchell with pig fat and vinegar all over your suit. Smile

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
BUGSnBBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 10 13 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well congrats to your son!

kozmic wrote:
I can honestly say that I have never enjoyed myself at any wedding.

Awwww.....C'mon, man. Weddings can be a blast! I've been to several over the years (including my own Laughing ) and usually have a great time. Not so much the actual wedding, but the reception Wink

IMO if you do this, get yourself at least 2 helpers that aren't friends or family of the bride and groom. Less chit-chat and more work (from them Laughing ). Do it serving line/buffet style and K.I.S.S.!

Cook what you feel comfortable with, no need to experiment with 100 hungry guests Laughing . PP or a whole hog would be great with simple sides (mac n cheese, tater salad, cooked greens, tossed salad). Can make most/all of it ahead of time and you're not stuck cooking all day.
The Matt Ryan of LIARS! (#2)

I had the RIGHT to remain silent, I just didn't have the ABILITY.

Support your 2nd Amendment RIGHT. Criminals prefer unarmed victims.
Tim_Abrahamson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 10 13 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.c.hawg wrote:
I'm with mbellot on this. It is not just the meat....it's sides, drinks, setting up to serve, utensils and twenty things you won't think about. If you can at all possibly afford it, hire a guy with a trailer smoker that does this for a living. It can still be rustic, it can still be economically responsible and the grooms family won't be 100% tied up trying to take care of 100 people.

Do this and make sure that the caterer knows that you will be helping them out (if you start getting bored)

You are going to be asked to pose in about 1 out of every 3 pictures taken so don't even think you will have time to cook. Celebrate the wedding, support your family and make yourself available on one of the greatest days of their lives. This is about them... not you. Crack open a cold one and enjoy the ride!

Oklahoma Joe Longhorn
Big Green Egg
Former Pitmaster Gates and Sons BBQ (KC)
T00lman
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 10 13 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But to be honest I'm not a social butterfly, I like to be alone with my meat

oh my Shocked
#37 liar
1 wsm 18 1/2
1wsm 22 1/2
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri May 10 13 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim_Abrahamson wrote:
k.c.hawg wrote:

Do this and make sure that the caterer knows that you will be helping them out (if you start getting bored)

You are going to be asked to pose in about 1 out of every 3 pictures taken so don't even think you will have time to cook. Celebrate the wedding, support your family and make yourself available on one of the greatest days of their lives. This is about them... not you. Crack open a cold one and enjoy the ride!

I couldn't agree more to Tim and KC's advice.
I just helped my Brother-in-law and sister out on their sons wedding. The person putting the food together had no clue on how to work a serving line with hot food. All the meat was pre-cooked and only had to be warmed. She was under staffed and not enough power to run the warmers. I grabbed it and ran with it, I also almost missed my Nephews wedding because I was trying to make sure the guests had decent food. Your time will be limited at best to tend to food.

Hybrid Cooker
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri May 10 13 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most of the guys, you really do want to be a part of his day.......... but if you must.

Do pulled pork a day or two before and put in the fridge in 1/2 sized disposable pans. Second meat would be country style ribs because they reheat well but are fairly messy. Sides in the fridge as well .... cold= potato salad and hot = apple pie baked beans. Your job on the day of the wedding is to make sure everything gets reheated well in the smoker.

Set the smoker up so there is a hot end and fire her up. The idea is to reheat to temp in the oven and then transfer to the smoker for hot holding and serving. You should be able to get a monkey to add a log every once in a while and serve from the hot end;. Keep your smoker in the 150 to 200 range and you will have about 4 hours of minor work. You can monitor the meat and still have time to be a part of their day.

Besides..... what's the worst that can happen Shocked
kozmic
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 10 13 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is... I'm one of "those guys".
We eat out very seldom. I HATE paying for food that I could do better with. I can't even remember the last time I paid someone to cook for me.
I swear that 1/3 of the attendants of this wedding are IN THE WEDDING! Only 8 of my family members will be there. I know none of the other guests.
I'd rather cook. And save hundreds in the process.
It's a two day event I figured If I haul my stuff there I can do what I like to do, cook, and save about $1500.

I do like the idea of finding non related "help".
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri May 10 13 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have made up your mind.
Good Luck and please tell your son Congrats on his wedding from Kevin & Debbie. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
BluDawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 10 13 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best wedding present you can give that Boy> get him passed out drunk & a one way Boat to Nome Alaska the night Sailing at midnight before the wedding. He might be POed at first but will thank you latter. Cool
Webber 22 OTS
Memorial UDS "Big Jim"
Fig Pucker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 10 13 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm another who has to agree that this may not be the best event for you to try your hand at catering. As the father of the groom, you should be there along side celebrating the day with you son and new daughter in law.

I host a pig roast every July 4th for about 100 people and bring in someone to do the actual cooking and guests bring side dishes. Even with all that, I am still running around like a nut handleing things like drinks, ice, utensials, trash, chairs, napkins...maybe if it's not being held at your place and you are only manning the pits perhaps it may be differerent, but there's a ton of work that goes into a large event.

What ever you decide I hope you and your familly have a great day! Very Happy
kozmic
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 10 13 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not my first attempt at serving people. I do a Safety BBQ every quarter serving about 72 people ribs.

I am checking into catering. but the $$$$ are blinding me.

Thanks for all the well wishes.
DrunkPlumber
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 10 13 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it.

Just sayin'.

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

There is no such thing as too much onion.

I'm NOT liar #94. I swear!
Mish
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 10 13 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother and I roasted a whole hog on my dad's 2nd wedding we were both groomsman. Started early and when picture time came we hopped in our tuxes and took pics tended the fire carefully in our clothes and did the ceremony as well. After ceremony we sliced the pig into serving trays and people ate.

There were people there to handle everything else we just had to cook and cut the meat. If you have no help it will be rough but I am the same in saving the $$$.

For my own wedding I did tri-tip and a couple chickens my brother was helping out and he was in pics and ceremony as well. Again we only had to worry about meat not the serving of guests.

Personally I would cook it up and enjoy yourself as you see fit.
30in Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
Mikeydidit

PostPosted: Fri May 10 13 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to do this a few years ago for one of oldest daughters. About the same amount of people also. I did a lot of food and yes it was very time consuming, but I managed.

I got several to help with the sides, drinks, plates and silver ware. This helped a lot. For one I did around 40 lbs. of country style ribs. There is a trick here. Cut them up in bite sized pieces after you warm them up. Makes them not as messy, and less waste. take them off the pit and straight into serving pans. Easy. I started the chicken (another 40 lbs.) around four hours before time to eat. It was done and ready to server. I did separate the legs on the quarters for the kids. I did 20 lbs. of sausage. Easy. Cut into bite sized pieces and ready to serve. I also did 8 slabs of baby backs. I wish I had done something else. These were time consuming and very messy. But none were left so I guess they didn't mind.
Good Luck to you and your son. Its going to be a busy day for both.
(working on 250 gallon tank with trailer)
Tim_Abrahamson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 11 13 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bite the bullet for one day and spend it with your family... Geez.. no one is asking you to sing and dance. Just enjoy the moment and be there for your family.

BTW... isnt the bride's father supposed to spring for the wedding eats? All you have to worry is about the rehearsal dinner. If you want to cook for something shoot for that.

Oklahoma Joe Longhorn
Big Green Egg
Former Pitmaster Gates and Sons BBQ (KC)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: