FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

steaks aged on counter??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cadmaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 27 13 10:27 pm    Post subject: steaks aged on counter?? Reply with quote

i just read a post from ckone this morning about a previous post.. mentioned a steak left on counter at room temperature for over 3 hours, than thrown on grill..

ok, most of you may think this is a dumb question with an obvious answer-but i had no idea.. but steaks can be left out on the counter for 3 hours? if so, whats the typical max time.. and does it really make a better tasting steak than one left out for 30 minutes.

appreciate the knowledge!
Mish
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 27 13 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take out the steak from the fridge season it and it goes on the grill, no room temp for me. I like my steak very rare so it being cold helps for that.

If you are wanting to speed cook time by having the meat at room temp before you start then leaving it out can help but the longer it is out the more bacteria can grow and such. Personally I don't find a difference in cold or room temp except for cook time.
30in Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
k.c.hawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 27 13 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't leave a steak on the counter for 3 hours. I've left a large Prime Rib out for maybe 90 minutes but leaving a steak out 3 hours sounds like it would be almost done with the way I like em. Shocked
30" Masterbuilt Digital
UDS (Named Uddley by Mrs K.C.)
Weber 26.75 One Touch
Weber 22.5 Silver Touch
Weber Smokey Joe
Superfast Red Thermopen
Razorback born and bred!
ckone
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 28 13 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: steaks aged on counter?? Reply with quote

cadmaster wrote:
i just read a post from ckone this morning about a previous post.. mentioned a steak left on counter at room temperature for over 3 hours, than thrown on grill..

ok, most of you may think this is a dumb question with an obvious answer-but i had no idea.. but steaks can be left out on the counter for 3 hours? if so, whats the typical max time.. and does it really make a better tasting steak than one left out for 30 minutes.

appreciate the knowledge!

I did not see anything about leaving a steak out for 3 hours, but to answer your question;

In general 4 hours is considered the maximum time out of the temperature safety zone for food. This time includes 30 minutes from the store to home, plus any other time during transport from packer to store, etc, etc,

I generally season my steaks around 20 minutes before I cook them and let them rest on the counter. If longer than 30 minutes I keep in fridge.
cadmaster
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue May 28 13 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ckone, i apologize.. it was a link from one of your previous posts.. it actually came from "maceggs".. note just above 4th picture down

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62751

thanks
MacEggs
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 28 13 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have noted that they were still in a vacuum seal.

The steaks had been frozen, then completely thawed in the fridge.
I then left them at room temperature. I have done this countless times without any issues. Very Happy

The cookers (so far).
Some Weber kettles of various age, color and size
UDS & Mini UDS
Abby Normal ECB
Napoleon Propane Grill
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 28 13 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my food saver and vacuum sealing in general. However, with freezing and removing air it kills quite a bit of bacteria except anaerobic types . Clostridium botulinum grows when there is NO air present. I've actually heard it's better to break the seal during the thawing period in the fridge as it makes it less prone to botulism.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue May 28 13 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope none of you guys eat at restaurants....My food delivery driver buddy tells me all the time of making deliveries in the middle of the night [ has keys to raunts all over this part of the state] everything from beef, chicken, pork butts to whole fish setting out on counters overnight defrosting or "quick aging"...LOL!!
I PERSONALLY who have no issue cooking a steak that had sat out in a 68° kitchen for 3 hours provided it had been covered to keep the flies from puking on it....The 4 hour rule is a safety net is a fine rule - if your kitchen is riddled with botulism, 10 seconds "out" and your gonna be spending the night on the throne no matter how well done you cook it, unless of course you use all brand new sanitized plates, flatware glasses etc from elsewhere and never bring them into your kitchen...but the ice you put in your drink will probably get you anyhow....that or Aunt Tricia's secret recipe noodle salad she used one of your botulism riddled serving spoons to serve you with!
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 28 13 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Funny you should say that! I just finished working at a mexican place a month ago that had its diced beef and chicken in rolls of plastic piled up and sitting under a prep table on a shelf. It had been there since the night before and it was 9am. Pools of beef and chicken juice were under the table.
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 28 13 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who wants some chicken? Very Happy

These were put up on the table and sent to start using around 1030am for the buffet. I was there the night before and they were set out around 930 that night. Is this the norm for most places?
Tim_Abrahamson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 28 13 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the health inspector walked in that would all go into the trash.

Oklahoma Joe Longhorn
Big Green Egg
Former Pitmaster Gates and Sons BBQ (KC)
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue May 28 13 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim_Abrahamson wrote:
If the health inspector walked in that would all go into the trash.

Problem is, they show up once or twice a year, usually announced....I agree 100% it should never happen, but the fact of the matter is - it happens all the time!!

Licensing and training means NOTHING if the individual doesnt have the morals to do the right thing.
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
N8DCJ
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 29 13 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend was just watching Secrets of a Restaurant Chef on food network ....

FWIW

Anne Burrell said you can leave thawed chicken out on the counter at room temp for 2 hours... any longer and it needs to go in the refrigerator...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: