FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cowboy Cooker/Fire Pit~~Updated 5/31~~Finished
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChuckieD
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 23 13 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy,
Your pit turned out awesome Cool
I would expect no less from you my friend! Wink Laughing

Big Green Egg XL
UDS build
The Old Brick Barbecue Project!
davefan360

PostPosted: Thu May 23 13 6:05 am    Post subject: sweet build Reply with quote

2 questions? 1, are you going to make some sort of ash catch in the bottom? I think it would be hard to tip over to get the ash out. 2? are you going to have any sort of air inlets in the bottom of the floor or ring?
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 27 13 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George, you been talking to Kevin? That's the first thing he said when I sent him a pic of the grate, how warped it was. Laughing I assure you its just the pic. I was worried about how easy the angle would warp and twist and almost used tubing, but I was up for the challenge Very Happy Ill keep you up to date on assistance in Vegas, I leave again a week from today for a week, then home a few days and then back.

lantern, thanks for taking a look and the kind words.

Thanks Kevin, Hopefully it will be done on time.

Mike, I am pretty pleased with the top ring myself, it actually came together the way I was hoping it would, which is scary in its own self. Personally, I think the feather chicks would be a great addition to my new shop, you know, the new shop I would have to get because the wife would now be full owner of the old shop Shocked Laughing

My Man Chuck, Thanks Brother, it is about there.

davefan360, there will not be a catch of any type in the bottom, I just use a small dust pan on our firepit and call it good. Also no air inlets on the bottom, just using a grate to raise off the bottom of the pit and the air circulates pretty well. Pictures coming soon.
Vulcanus

PostPosted: Tue May 28 13 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work Very Happy
TuscaloosaQ

PostPosted: Thu May 30 13 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy Man!!!!! That fire pit is awesome!!!!! Don't be surprised if you ride thru Alabama and see some real similar!!!!!!! I know you want mind, Very Very cool build!!!!!!!
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01 13 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vulcanus Very Happy

Thanks TQ! You know I don't mind a bit what ideas you borrow. Id love to see your twist on a build like this any day.
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01 13 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got rolling again on the pit. Its been a crazy couple weeks for me.

Went with Kevin's idea on the grate arm, I was going to put the set screw in the arm itself, but Kevin told me on his its nice to be able to swing the grate out and not have to worry about unlocking it to move. This worked out great! Thanks Kevin Very Happy

A pin holds the grate from moving and the lock collar keeps it in place on the rod.

When not in use, the grate hangs on the side of the pit.

The grate for the wood on the bottom of the pit, this sits up 4" off the bottom and should allow enough air to circulate. The only thing I might add to this is a piece of expanded to keep the wood from falling through so easily.

It was done and ready for the blasters, Braden helping me load it in the truck. Very Happy

Tied down and ready to go.

Got it to the blaster on Friday afternoon(5/24), he was going to do a quick turn around for me so I could paint it Saturday(5/25) and it would be done. He called about the time I was heading back to pick it up and said his compressor blew up and it wasn't done. My typical luck Rolling Eyes We left town Sunday (5/26) for a family event that kept us out of town until yesterday (5/30) Sandblaster called during the week and said the pit was blasted and ready.

Was up early this morning and had it picked up when they opened. They did a great job on it and since it was for charity, I smoked them some ribs in trade for the blasting job Very Happy

More rain was coming so I got on it quick to get it painted, had it set up outside to shoot it real quick and it started to sprinkle, into the garage it went.

My wife sneaked in these pics.

Colored up. Very Happy

While the paint was drying and curing some, I sprayed the grate with pam and put on my charcoal grill at 250* for 3 hours. Redneck seasoning at its best Very Happy

A buddy donated a brand new 12" Dutch Oven from his collection that he had and never used. Its not a top end DO, but its nice and it was free! Oiled it up and slid it in the cooker with the blasters ribs Laughing Even more redneck seasoning Laughing

Painted and done! Very Happy Grate sitting in the storage area. Also had a piece of 1/4" stainless rod that I bent to use to hang the DO. It sits easily on the grate out of the way when not in use.

DO hangs well.

Grate in place.

Swings away nice and smooth.

The pit turned out awesome if I do say so myself, actually better than I had planned. The coordinator of the event stopped by tonight and was happy with how it turned out. We're hoping it brings a good amount of money for the event.

Event is next Saturday( 6/8 ) and Im back on a plane for Vegas Sunday for work, supposed to fly back Friday, but we shall see. If I can I will update on the event and how well the auction went.

Thanks for looking Very Happy
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01 13 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work Troy! Very Happy Great to see a different spin on what I would call a "typical" firepit, tho the phrase is out of date, " Thinking outside of the box" applies. Right on! Good job, good cause, good dude. You done charity proud bro. Cool
GF
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01 13 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy, it looks fantastic. Very Happy
Very well thought out and the work is top notch. Cool Although I still can't figure why that dam grate looks twisted in some of the pics. Shocked

I hope it does very well at the auction, it should, you ain't gonna find anything like it in your local store. Wink

BTW, If you need a hand in Vegas, give a yell. Wink Laughing
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01 13 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy Your pit turned out fantastic. You put great effort into a great cause! Your attention to detail is going to put it over the top at the auction .

Excellent job.
ChuckieD
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01 13 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy,
Awesome work my friend, she came out real nice! Cool
Hope the person that buys it pays what its worth and your auction goes well. Very Happy

Big Green Egg XL
UDS build
The Old Brick Barbecue Project!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03 13 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy, very nice work my Friend I like it. Very Happy The fire pit turned out awesome and the new owner will get many years of enjoyment from it. Nicely done my man. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08 13 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, thanks brother, I appreciate the kudos Very Happy

Thanks George! Im very pleased with how it turned out. Im just curious, have you been talking to my dad now? He was here and was nagging on my arse about how the grate was warped. I though we were going to get into a knock down drag out fight before I pulled out the squares and levels and proved it was straight as an arrow Laughing Depending on how you look at it, it does give the impression it has a twist in it, but I promise...it dont Wink

Thank You Maniac, I appreciate the kind words.

My Man Chuck, thank you brother. Im hoping for a good $howing at the auction.

Kevin, thanks my friend. This thing should be around for quite a while.

Got home from my work trip yesterday and delivered the pit yesterday afternoon. Its a Polo match, dinner, auction and band for the event. Never been to a Polo match so we are all excited and curious to see it. This is a great cause that my friend/neighbor is coordinating and there are some great items there for sale and auction. I really hope that it goes very well for her and for the C.A.R.E. organization. Ill try and get some pics and update the post when its over.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: