FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 


Oyler 700 will be here this week
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MooniesBBQ
BBQ Pro


Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 505
Location: Flowery Branch, GA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18 13 9:43 pm    Post subject: Oyler 700 will be here this week Reply with quote

Finally! After waiting for what seems like forever my brand new oyler 700 will be here this week. We've completely warn out the pitmakers, so this is coming just in time. Our new catering and smokehouse will be finished in a few weeks and we will finally be able to keep up with demand. Sorry I've been gone for so long, I've been a little busy. I'll try to start posting more often.

Moonie
_________________

http://www.mooniestexasbarbecue.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 29 Jul 2007
Posts: 2896
Location: Montgomery, Texas (and lovin' it)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18 13 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!! Am not sure how you can "wear out" a BBQ pit and especially a Pitmaker Vault in that short of time..how long has it been anyway??? But if memory serves me right, it hasn't been YEARS...more like months??

Regardless, you will really appreciate your new smoker. Wink
_________________
Where rumors end and legend lives forever...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texman
BBQ Pro


Joined: 19 Oct 2005
Posts: 831
Location: Del Rio, TX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18 13 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Oyler 700 will be here this week Reply with quote

MooniesBBQ wrote:
Sorry I've been gone for so long, I've been a little busy. I'll try to start posting more often.
Moonie


Please do!

Glancing over your prices we notice brisket and turkey at $14.90 a lb. Does this create pull through demand, meaning no resistance for sales?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star


Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 8558
Location: The Northwoods

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18 13 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, You're gonna love that oyler 700!
Remember, fresh cut wood as big as you can fit in the firebox, No splits of seasoned wood unless it is for your initial startup to get a bed of coals for the big stuff.

Did you get the double or triple rack system?

A word of warning with the triple rack setup, if you lose a piece of meat to the bottom of the pit, the triple rack system is very unforgiving! And a "Rack Jam" is the nastiest thing you will ever experience in your cooking life. I had 2 of them in a month and went to the doubles to help never having one again. it took hours to shovel all the meat into garbage cans and closed us for the entire day for a $5K loss that day, luckily there was no catering going out or we would have been sued.

If you're careful setting meat in there, you'll be golden, but if you have someone with their head firmly planted in their rectum who does not listen, who gets in a hurry, and gets sloppy placing roasts. it can get very ugly and very expensive with product loss, and replacing all the bent racks and hangers you'll need to replace and all the lost product.

Heres what happens, a roast falls, then as the next rack comes around, that obstruction tips that next rack and dumps everything on it too, then it is a chain reaction with all six racks and 1,000 pounds of product being lost. The motors in those things are so strong that they do not stop and your rotisserie wheel turns into one huge garbage disposal that destroys steel and everything else in its way.

3 days ago, my main kitchen goober put 2 6" deep stainless pans on the top rack (even though I told him to never do that countless times)
They dumped, luckily they did not upset everything in the pit including the 100 pound pig that was leaving in 30 minutes.
I only lost 50 pounds of beans, and 2 hours labor cleaning the pit and retrieving the pans.
_________________
Just remember that the toes you may step on during your climb to the top will also be attached to the a$$es you'll be forced to kiss on your way back down!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MooniesBBQ
BBQ Pro


Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 505
Location: Flowery Branch, GA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18 13 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geronimo wrote:
WOW!!! Am not sure how you can "wear out" a BBQ pit and especially a Pitmaker Vault in that short of time..how long has it been anyway??? But if memory serves me right, it hasn't been YEARS...more like months??

Regardless, you will really appreciate your new smoker. Wink


Chimneys are completely clogged with creosote no matter how much I burn them out and hit them with a 5lb sledge. I fashioned an external chimney off the drain valve so they would keep going. The way these are built someone would have to cut them open to free up the chimney. Vaults are made for completion not running 6 days a week at full capacity. Plus I've had too many pit fires with them.

Almost two years, August 5th!

Moonie
_________________

http://www.mooniestexasbarbecue.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MooniesBBQ
BBQ Pro


Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 505
Location: Flowery Branch, GA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18 13 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Oyler 700 will be here this week Reply with quote

Texman wrote:
MooniesBBQ wrote:
Sorry I've been gone for so long, I've been a little busy. I'll try to start posting more often.
Moonie


Please do!

Glancing over your prices we notice brisket and turkey at $14.90 a lb. Does this create pull through demand, meaning no resistance for sales?


No resistance to sales as far as I can tell. Each month is a record for us, and we cracked the 80k/month barrier last month.

Moonie
_________________

http://www.mooniestexasbarbecue.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MooniesBBQ
BBQ Pro


Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 505
Location: Flowery Branch, GA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19 13 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
Wow, You're gonna love that oyler 700!
Remember, fresh cut wood as big as you can fit in the firebox, No splits of seasoned wood unless it is for your initial startup to get a bed of coals for the big stuff.

Did you get the double or triple rack system?

A word of warning with the triple rack setup, if you lose a piece of meat to the bottom of the pit, the triple rack system is very unforgiving! And a "Rack Jam" is the nastiest thing you will ever experience in your cooking life. I had 2 of them in a month and went to the doubles to help never having one again. it took hours to shovel all the meat into garbage cans and closed us for the entire day for a $5K loss that day, luckily there was no catering going out or we would have been sued.

If you're careful setting meat in there, you'll be golden, but if you have someone with their head firmly planted in their rectum who does not listen, who gets in a hurry, and gets sloppy placing roasts. it can get very ugly and very expensive with product loss, and replacing all the bent racks and hangers you'll need to replace and all the lost product.

Heres what happens, a roast falls, then as the next rack comes around, that obstruction tips that next rack and dumps everything on it too, then it is a chain reaction with all six racks and 1,000 pounds of product being lost. The motors in those things are so strong that they do not stop and your rotisserie wheel turns into one huge garbage disposal that destroys steel and everything else in its way.

3 days ago, my main kitchen goober put 2 6" deep stainless pans on the top rack (even though I told him to never do that countless times)
They dumped, luckily they did not upset everything in the pit including the 100 pound pig that was leaving in 30 minutes.
I only lost 50 pounds of beans, and 2 hours labor cleaning the pit and retrieving the pans.


Harry, as always great info. I got the triple rack with an extra set in case of a rack jam. I flew out to mesquite about 6 months ago and toured the factory and picked their brains. I got the bean rack too.

Judy showed us the proper way of loading the pits, she is a book of knowledge on these things. She also yelled at me for "tossing" the wood in the firebox. Apparently you're supposed to lay it in there so the flying wood won't break down the fire brick Smile

It is being loaded up this morning and should be here Friday. Unfortunately I won't be here. I'm taking a much needed vacation to Kansas for a family reunion and the timing is bad. I've got my construction crew finishing up the new smokehouse and they will be ready to receive the oyler and put it into place. I should be able to assemble it and season it next week. I won't be able to use it until we get the final stamp from the HD. The pitmakers are going to have to hold on a little longer!

Moonie
_________________

http://www.mooniestexasbarbecue.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rubbbq
BBQ Fan


Joined: 28 Feb 2011
Posts: 174
Location: Chicago, IL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20 13 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Chimneys are completely clogged with creosote no matter how much I burn them out and hit them with a 5lb sledge. I fashioned an external chimney off the drain valve so they would keep going. The way these are built someone would have to cut them open to free up the chimney. Vaults are made for completion not running 6 days a week at full capacity. Plus I've had too many pit fires with them.


I know the feeling all too well. I have been using my pits 6 days / week for almost 3 years now - and just moved over to the commercial-built AN Bewley. The pits I was using were well built (Thanks Brian Meyers for the great vault pit!), but not built to cook as much as we cook. I actually did cut open one of the walls to remove the creosote about 6 months ago when it got so built up we couldn't cook anymore - NASTY job...I've got my two old pits out back now, I'll snap a few photos later today to show you how worn out they got.

Been burning my AN Bewley for 5 days now, and DAMN, is this thing nice and built to do the job!

Good luck with the new pit Moonie!
_________________
Love what I'm doing, doing what I love
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MooniesBBQ
BBQ Pro


Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 505
Location: Flowery Branch, GA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24 13 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's here!





_________________

http://www.mooniestexasbarbecue.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro


Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Posts: 768
Location: Champlin, MN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24 13 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWEET! Good for you. Glad to see and hear things are going well. I am going to be in your neighborhood the middle of July, I hope I can stop by. I'm picking up a hog pit.
_________________
The lessons are in the customer's criticism. They aren't always right. The rewards are their satisfaction.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Bbq Bubba
BBQ Pro


Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 503
Location: New Baltimore Mich.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25 13 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can admit now that when you were originally opening and decided on the vaults to cook i had major reservations but kept my mouth closed. Laughing

You will absolutely love that Oyler and i can promise you it will make you an even better pitmaster!

I clean mine every 2 weeks. Grease it once a month and feed her nice big chunks of green hickory. Otherwise an Oyler is pretty much self sufficient! Cool
_________________
2013 BBQ Person of the Year
Pitmaster at Lockharts BBQ in Royal Oak Mi.
I cook the best brisket north of Dallas.
Northern midwest director for Operation BBQ Relief
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star


Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 8558
Location: The Northwoods

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25 13 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bbq Bubba wrote:
I can admit now that when you were originally opening and decided on the vaults to cook i had major reservations but kept my mouth closed. Laughing

)


I don't think I kept my mouth closed, I think I suggested an Oyler back then.

Good to hear you needed to go bigger, now my question is when are you going to get a 2nd Oyler when you find out you need even more cooking room?
_________________
Just remember that the toes you may step on during your climb to the top will also be attached to the a$$es you'll be forced to kiss on your way back down!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro


Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Posts: 768
Location: Champlin, MN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26 13 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry you lucky dog. You beat me to that one in KC didn't you? I hope I don't have to wait too long for another one to come along. That price will be hard to beat. I'll give you a hundred bucks to change your mind.
_________________
The lessons are in the customer's criticism. They aren't always right. The rewards are their satisfaction.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star


Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 8558
Location: The Northwoods

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28 13 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qfanatic01 wrote:
Harry you lucky dog. You beat me to that one in KC didn't you? I hope I don't have to wait too long for another one to come along. That price will be hard to beat. I'll give you a hundred bucks to change your mind.


Give him a call. maybe he'll try to pull the same scam with you as he did with me.

The 1300 was a bust, I'm working on a 700 mounted on a trailer right now, (vintage 700, a collectors item actually) we are close to an agreement, I just need to work a little harder to get it where I want it before a 12 hour drive and a cash deal.
_________________
Just remember that the toes you may step on during your climb to the top will also be attached to the a$$es you'll be forced to kiss on your way back down!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MooniesBBQ
BBQ Pro


Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 505
Location: Flowery Branch, GA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29 13 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bbq Bubba wrote:
I can admit now that when you were originally opening and decided on the vaults to cook i had major reservations but kept my mouth closed. Laughing

You will absolutely love that Oyler and i can promise you it will make you an even better pitmaster!

I clean mine every 2 weeks. Grease it once a month and feed her nice big chunks of green hickory. Otherwise an Oyler is pretty much self sufficient! Cool


The vaults did their job! No reservations here. I opened my business for what I paid for this new oyler so the vaults got me to where I am now. Oyler is wired and racks are hung. Monday they are starting on the outside covering. I hope to be smoking on it by next weekend.

Harry, we are having enough growing pains as it is! This building wouldn't support two oylers. The next oyler will have to be at a second location I guess Smile

Moonie
_________________

http://www.mooniestexasbarbecue.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MooniesBBQ
BBQ Pro


Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 505
Location: Flowery Branch, GA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09 13 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New home is almost done.



Moonie
_________________

http://www.mooniestexasbarbecue.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lantern
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Posts: 2001
Location: Marion,NC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09 13 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just great!

If I have to make a special trip just to give your food a try I will. I love that you are doing what I've always wanted to but been to chicken chit to do!!


All the luck in the world to ya!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star


Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 8558
Location: The Northwoods

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09 13 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MooniesBBQ wrote:
New home is almost done.



Moonie


So, whatcha think about the cooking capabilities of that Oyler so far.
Did you realize increased yield and shorter cooking times like I did?
Thanks for sharing that they have a "Bean Pan Rack" available, I ordered one and I am impatiently waiting for it to arrive.
I'd love to see a "Pig Rack" with some elevated sides on the rack. I get very concerned about losing a whole pig every single time that we roast one.
_________________
Just remember that the toes you may step on during your climb to the top will also be attached to the a$$es you'll be forced to kiss on your way back down!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MooniesBBQ
BBQ Pro


Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 505
Location: Flowery Branch, GA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10 13 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry unfortunately I haven't fired it yet! Just finished the smoke stack today. I'm going back up there now to season it. Can't cook on it until health department approves the new construction :/
_________________

http://www.mooniestexasbarbecue.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro


Joined: 29 Jul 2007
Posts: 2896
Location: Montgomery, Texas (and lovin' it)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10 13 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:

I'd love to see a "Pig Rack" with some elevated sides on the rack. I get very concerned about losing a whole pig every single time that we roast one.


Maybe you could have a local welder so some custom work for you on the racks you already have??

Maybe come up with something similar to the back rack on a Metro rack that simply slips in when you need it and removable when you don't??
_________________
Where rumors end and legend lives forever...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group