FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back bacon questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14 13 9:28 am    Post subject: Back bacon questions Reply with quote

Trying my first go at back bacon. I used the high mountain buckboard cure for ease this time as I had it sitting in the pantry when I decided to take the project on. I do have a few questions tho.

1) 7.5 lb loin cut into 3pieces almost exactly 2.5 lbs each. Is 10 days too long to cure? I put them in the cure the evening of the 7th. I will be smoking sat and could do them then at 7 days curing and 1 day drying/ forming pellicle. I just don't want this smaller loin to get hammy.

2) should I start my smoking temps at 225 or start lower a few hrs then bump them up? I'm doing them n the Bradley, so rep control is pretty easy.

Thanks for any help guys!

Modified ECB
UDS
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16 13 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally it penetrates a quarter inch a day so 10 days is likely long for those size loins. I would say 5-7days but Im sure 10 won't hurt, just might need extra rinsing/soaking as it may be a little salty.
ComradeQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16 13 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I just did a 5lb loin today, 200 was my smoking temp for 2.5 hours. I wouldn't start lower myself, that was more than enough to smoke it well. Brought it up to 150 then removed and letting it rest a day or two before slicing so the smoke can mellow and equalize a bit.
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16 13 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ComradeQ, Thanks again. They are gonna get soaked and all tonight and smoked tomorrow evening. That will free up my therms for Monday's cook too. Bacon will start the 1st week in july after my conference in vegas next week. unless I can convince the wife to flip the belly for me while I'm gone, which is a distinct possibility as she did the loins during my recent fishing trip.

Modified ECB
UDS
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18 13 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rinngrizz wrote:
ComradeQ, Thanks again. They are gonna get soaked and all tonight and smoked tomorrow evening. That will free up my therms for Monday's cook too. Bacon will start the 1st week in july after my conference in vegas next week. unless I can convince the wife to flip the belly for me while I'm gone, which is a distinct possibility as she did the loins during my recent fishing trip.

There is no reason to flip meats when curing them, the cure penetrates from all angles through a process named osmosis.
Now if you are wet-bringing, it is common practice to overhaul the contents of the curing vessel at least once during the brining period to redistribute things.
Rinngrizz
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19 13 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
Rinngrizz wrote:

There is no reason to flip meats when curing them, the cure penetrates from all angles through a process named osmosis.
Now if you are wet-bringing, it is common practice to overhaul the contents of the curing vessel at least once during the brining period to redistribute things.

Solid info brother! Bacon is getting put in cure before Vegas then. Got everything I need now!

Modified ECB
UDS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cured Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: