FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The "Grease Trap" Pandora's Box is an understateme

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23 13 9:42 pm    Post subject: The "Grease Trap" Pandora's Box is an understateme Reply with quote

I am absolutely giddy over the fact that I now have a 1,500 gallon capacity grease trap, and it is located outside of my restaurant underground instead of under the dish area inside the building.

And I just had "Sanamax" (grease reclamation business) out yesterday to get my grease dumpster placed, and get a quote for my inline grease trap being emptied and serviced.
All it is going to cost me is $150.00 to get it pumped, and they even offered to subtract that cost from what I get paid from them purchasing my waste cooking oils.
The building that we purchased is only about 12 years old, and the grease reclamation service has no record of ever servicing this location! So we popped the tops on the trap yesterday, and saw it about 80%-90% full.

If any of you have never opened and cleaned a grease trap, do yourself a favor and get a service company to do it for you. You'll thank me for years to come.

A grease trap traps food scraps, and grease from entering and clogging your septic/sewer system. All this material putrefies, ferments, and stinks to a level of epic proportions.
Running grease down your drain with hot water does not solve any problems, it just creates them.

Next on the list is getting a septic service guy out there to "Water-Jet" my septic lines from the trap to the dish area. The lines may not need it, but I do not need any surprises in the middle of summer that could shut us down.

What do you guys do for a grease trap?
Geronimo
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23 13 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my jobs as a youth was at a local truck stop (restaurant) as a "grunt". Basically I did what the regular workers refused or didn't care to do.

Anyway, their grease trap was outside and although it wasn't very big, it was my first experience at vomiting due to smelling something.Embarassed Embarassed

Some 50 years later, I have yet to smell something so nasty Shocked Shocked
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24 13 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does not get anyworse than the smell of fermenting grease Exclamation

did some work at a meat plant that had a 20,000 gallon custom trap...when they had it cleaned we would be "on another job"...if you know what i mean Wink
qfanatic01
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24 13 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I WISH I had your new system Harry, I'm stuck with your old style and have the joy of cleaning out 5 gallons of fermenting puke every month or so. Sad to say I've gotten over the smell, it's the pain in the butt of moving the dishwasher from over top of it to access it that I don't look forward to. I also always snake the lines when I do it. I have skipped that step a couple of times and had to move the dishwasher twice. I grew up on a small farm and cleaning the barn in the spring is worse. Add ammonia to that stink, with your eyes burning to boot.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24 13 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically zoning in this area requires a buried 1,500+ gallon grease trap only if you are on septic, if you are on city sewer like I am, they readily accept smaller the less expensive "Under-Sink" models.
I do not know why zoning does it this way, does anyone else know? Either way, I'm glad they spent the money to do this.

I have my own well, but city sewer, I get charged for sewer usage via the water meter put on my well. So if I water the grass, a pump gets dumped into the lake for irrigation or I pay through the nose for it.

The guys who originally built this place spent tons of money outfitting this place, much much more than they needed to.

I am the 4th owner of this building in 12 short years, the first 3 owners all died. 2 from cancer, one from drowning (the drowning guy got revived though)
The first two owners had very different but successful businesses, the third guy, well, nobody knows what the heck he was trying to do in a culinary sense.
But I clearly remember him visiting me at my restaurant and boldly telling me that he was going to put me out of business with his beef brisket. One of our customers overheard this mans claim and started laughing.
The funny thing was, his menu was not BBQ themed. It was sort of a "French peasant food" theme.

He told people that "Locals don't know what good food is" and that he is only catering to the more sophisticated tastes of our tourists from Chicago, New York, and other major metro areas.
Yeah, sure, great idea. NOT!
Especially since our tourist season is a brief 65-70 days in the summer. And when people visit our little northwoods getaway, they are looking for an experience like in the movie "The great outdoors" they want 96 ounce steaks, they want to stay in a flea-bitten log cabin with a leaky roof and an outhouse, they want to eat big food, comfort food, and to do it at reasonable prices, then get drunk, and hang out by a lake to watch our 10 PM sunsets and have Loons screeching at 4:30 AM to wake their hungover butts up too damn early for any good to come from it.
For those of you who know the movie I speak of....... yes, there is a "Paul Bunyans" restaurant just down the road from us. It's been there for more than 50 years and is a huge tourist attraction. http://www.paulbunyans.com/
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30 13 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMFG! WTF!
The grease trap was pumped out this morning by sanimax, and so much for me reaping the benefits of it being located outside. The entire damn restaurant smells of putrid foul rotted mammalian intestinal contents!

I unlocked the door, the smell hit me in the face, I turned around and emptied the contents of my stomach in the parking lot!

I have all the windows open, the exhaust hood running, my shirt pulled over my nose, and I hope to be able to get this smell out of here rapidly.

The stink must have came up through the P-Traps or something. I thought my cooler had died, then I remembered the trap service.
Alright, I gotta start filling drains to end this stink!
Texman
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 01 13 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
OMFG! WTF!
The entire damn restaurant smells of putrid foul rotted mammalian intestinal contents!

I turned around and emptied the contents of my stomach in the parking lot!

Bare with me Harry I couldn't help but laugh to the point of tears running down my face, not at you, nor your problem, rather at a personal experience from years ago.

I do feel sorry for your circumstances and hope you find remedy - soon so keep us posted.

Did the company pumping not mention this possibility prior to?
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed May 01 13 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texman wrote:

Bare with me Harry I couldn't help but laugh to the point of tears running down my face, not at you, nor your problem, rather at a personal experience from years ago.

I do feel sorry for your circumstances and hope you find remedy - soon so keep us posted.

Did the company pumping not mention this possibility prior to?

Luckily spring weather finally got to the northwoods today, 82 degrees , but we still have 24 inches of ice on our lakes. About 90 minutes after I opened windows, and had a nice breeze blowing through, the GF shows up, gets within 10 feet of the building and starts gagging and asking "WTF is that smell?"

It cleared out after an hour or 4, just in time for my Cheese rep to show with samples so we could bake a dozen pizzas to demo my cheese choices. (whole milk Mozz won)

The stink is gone,
And no I was not told of the possibility of it stinking up the building. I have no idea what caused it, there is no sign of drains backing up, not even the floor drains. My guess is he got the suction of the hose on the main line, and sucked the P-Traps dry which let the stink freely encroach into the building.
The sales rep said that they would need to back flush into the tank to bust up the solids, so who knows how this happened, next time I'll make sure I am out of state for this.

I am so glad my HD inspector did not show today!! She's scheduled for tomorrow AM luckily.
MooniesBBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19 13 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:

I am so glad my HD inspector did not show today!! She's scheduled for tomorrow AM luckily.

They tell you when they will be there Shocked that would be nice. Ours show up randomly.

Moonie

http://www.mooniestexasbarbecue.com
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19 13 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MooniesBBQ wrote:
Harry Nutczak wrote:

They tell you when they will be there Shocked that would be nice. Ours show up randomly.

Moonie

I just moved into a different county, this visit was my $800.00 initial inspection for first time licensing.
So I do not know if/when or where she will show here for randoms.
My last guy in the other county would call and ask when is a good time of day for our annual inspection. Plus we saw him for lunch quite often too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: