FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doing pulled pork and ribs together...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetesMeat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18 13 7:19 am    Post subject: Doing pulled pork and ribs together... Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Im new to this, and im trying to combine two succesful things into one cookoff.

I want to do pulled pork, which I successfully did the other week with the help from the forum, using the 50mins a lb rule, and cooking to an internal temp of 195-205F. All was good, cooking at about 140c, about 300f.

The thing is, I want to do some ribs as well, and my nice book about bbq says they are only in for 2-3 hours at about 250F.

So, what do I do. I can stick the pork shoulder in 2-3 hours early, so that its done and ready to pull, then lower the temp in the pit and do the ribs? What should I do with the shoulder, take ito ut and rest it, or let it sit in there? Is it possible to over do it or burn it?

Or should I try and adjust all teh temps and times so the ribs and the pork are done together?

Im using a big brick smoker, indreict heating, cooking area is about 4x3 feet.

Thanks for any help,

Pete.
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18 13 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I need to warn you that trying to go by time on BBQ is a sketchy task. It's done when its done.

However, you can get close to having them done at the same time. We just need specifics on the weight of the butts and weight and type of ribs you are cooking.

I would cook every thing at 250-275, but if you're used to 300 then it won't make that big of a difference except in finishing times. Put the butts on first and add the ribs later depending on cooking temp.

Here's the trick. if its spares then add them with 4-5 hours left at 300 and 6-7 hours left at 250. Also if you cook at 250 keep in mind that your butt with go from 50 mins a pound to around an hour and 20 mins a lb.

In the end it's not the end of the world to have to hold either one while you wait. However, a wrapped butt set in an empty cooler will stay piping hot for as long as it takes ribs to get done from start to finish. So if you want everything to have that hot off the smoker feel then having the butt finish first is the way to go.
patruns
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19 13 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are comfortable at 300 go ahead and plan your pulled pork accordingly. You can successfully cook the ribs at that temp. Just add them later in the process. Baby backs will probably take somewhere around 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Full size maybe 3 to 3 1/2 hours. If you are not including a water pan you may wish to foil them in the middle for a bit to avoid drying them out at that temp. If they seem to be done before the butt pull them off and foil and leave in a cooler.

Char-Griller Outlaw with SFB
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Q 220
LIAR#49
PetesMeat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19 13 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, im all ready:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/6970_10151652207892570_1806915182_n.jpg

Very Happy
MidwayMonster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20 13 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did it end up? I was thinking of same thing for this weekend.
PetesMeat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20 13 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

It went well but not perfect. I put one rack of ribs in earlier in the day and had a test rib / lunch. Those went perfectly. I placed them close to the rear wall, furthest from the fire, so presumably, the coolest spot.

When it came to the other seven racks, I had to place some racks closer to the fire, and those ones got a bit too hot. The finished article tasted good and everyone was happy but they were not as good as those we had earlier in the day.

Im now thinking about adding a baffle or similar to try and even out the heat, and maybe add a fan to get a bit of an air current going to even out the hot spots.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/179792_10151653557922570_372721128_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/400749_10151652760832570_2015542036_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1010552_10151653691297570_1682143840_n.jpg

Pete. [/list]
MidwayMonster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21 13 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that is what I was worried about with mine. My offset is a lot smaller then yours 2' x 1'. Think I'll just do the butt this time.
DrunkPlumber
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21 13 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Smeat, The food looks delicious, glad it worked out for you. I am intrigued by the sauce/glaze on the ribs. Looks like it may be apricot or similar? Care to share?

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.

There is no such thing as too much onion.

I'm NOT liar #94. I swear!
PetesMeat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21 13 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a classic red sauce, butter, onion, ketchup base, then i chopped up some peppers and stuck them in, and theres a bit of franks red hot in there too, and some other stuff. I sprinkled brown sugar on the racks then covered in the sauce and let it sit in the pit for another half an hour or so.

Tasted good, but we need to do a bit of work on the consistency of the heat inside the pit so they are all the same, rather than some being perfect and some being over done.

Pete.
PetesMeat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21 13 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chunks of what might apricot in the photos are bits of onion, need to chop them finer next time i think. When i was brushing the sauce on it had the look of sweet n sour sauce hahaha.
1buckie
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24 13 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete, you're way gettin' the hang of it here !!!!

Looks pretty good !!!

Some fine tuning things, but all in all, some fine lookin' eats.....

If you're doing a bunch of racks like that, maybe something like a moveable 2nd grate with handles that sits on top of the main grate....?

Say to hold four racks of ribs, then, without too much fiddlin' around, you could just switch them halfway thru the cookup, so they get cooked a bit more evenly?

Just an idea.....?
It's gonna say on my tombstone: Died of thick, heavy sauces ~~~~>K
" The Creepy Guy Down the Street With All The Webers"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: