FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pulled Pork For 50

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smokin arkie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08 13 11:12 am    Post subject: Pulled Pork For 50 Reply with quote

I have been asked to make pulled pork for about 50 people. It has been a long time since I have cooked a butt My first question is what is the average weight of a butt, and how much pulled meat can I expect to get from one. Second I have been told cooking time is about 1 1/2 hrs per pound, does this sound rite? They said there could be up 60 people and they wanted left overs, so just wondering how much to cook. Any other help or suggestions will help
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08 13 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pulled Pork For 50 Reply with quote

smokin arkie wrote:
I have been asked to make pulled pork for about 50 people. It has been a long time since I have cooked a butt

Good luck.

Quote:
My first question is what is the average weight of a butt, and how much pulled meat can I expect to get from one.

The lightest I've seen butts recently is about 6lbs and the heaviest around 10lbs, so I'd average them out at about 8lb, you can expect around 50% yield or 4lbs.

Quote:
Second I have been told cooking time is about 1 1/2 hrs per pound, does this sound rite?

That depends on the temperature you are cooking at, and the type of pit you are cooking on. Some pits cook quicker than others, on my little offset about 1 1/4 hours a lb and on the UDS's below an hour / lb.

Quote:
They said there could be up 60 people and they wanted left overs, so just wondering how much to cook. Any other help or suggestions will help

I'd look at 60lbs (ish) of pork, if you are a Sam's Club or Costco member you could then buy a whole case 8 x butts, cook them all, and end up between 30 and 34lbs cooked meat, that would give you a full 1/2lb portion per person, and that should offer you leftovers... unless it's construction workers or service personnel about to starve.

I still work here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Pork Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: