FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jimbo and Wreckless Comp cooker
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12 13 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoldering Coals...Thank You!

Smokenstein...Thank You! I wish I had a large enough shop as well. Wink Seems I have developed a strange pinball effect swagger in the shop where I try to deflect off of plate corners and such rather walk into them full force possibly saving a hip or shoulder. Gets pretty crowded in there at times. Tools are always close by tho I guess.

Thank You George! Still on Jimbos Thermal Dynamics 102 super torch. Note to self, an O/A torch may be the better tool when piercing 3/8" steel. The plasma does not preheat, kinda comes straight back at ya at first, knowhatimean? Shocked Can we say "Ouch?" I think I said worse actually. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Thank You Keith! Good to hear your rig is serving you well. Very Happy Congrats on gaining a future son in law, I surely hope you vetted him for cooking skills. Wink

Got the end cap on the FB, as mentioned, going without a door on the end and using a k.a.m. taught sawtooth design damper. had to offset the FB door to clear the exhaust plenum. Studied the cutout lines for quite some time before actual cutting. I wanted max size but one screw up in getting greedy and that's all she wrote. Thought I had short changed myself after the door was cut but once hinged, I found I had cut it quite close. All good. Having been spoiled cutting so much 1/4" steel, that .375" wall took some concentration and it still took a BFH to get her out of there after the cut.

Smoker Bill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14 13 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far. I am going to follow this very close to learn some more about pit building. I just finished my first pit and I have 2 people that want to buy it. I told them its not for sale until next summer so I can build another one this winter.
I have 60 gallon compressor tank to make the next one. The next one will be a little smaller than my 260 gallon pit I just finished.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15 13 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, your cooker project is looking great my Friend. Very Happy The short offset door for the firebox fits nicely I like it. The next time you get ready to plunge into the .375 wall drill a 1/8" hole first. Wink Very Happy I look forward to seeing some more pics and updates. Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15 13 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoker Bill wrote:
Looking good so far. I am going to follow this very close to learn some more about pit building. I just finished my first pit and I have 2 people that want to buy it. I told them its not for sale until next summer so I can build another one this winter.
I have 60 gallon compressor tank to make the next one. The next one will be a little smaller than my 260 gallon pit I just finished.

Thank You Smoker Bill! Very Happy I post so that others can learn tho some is what to do and what NOT to do. LOL
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15 13 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Mike, your cooker project is looking great my Friend. Very Happy The short offset door for the firebox fits nicely I like it. The next time you get ready to plunge into the .375 wall drill a 1/8" hole first. Wink Very Happy I look forward to seeing some more pics and updates. Very Happy

Thanks Brother! Very Happy I should have prolly burned the phone lines to Vidor a bit more on the FB before I burned Wreckless. It has k.a.m. hinges ( they rock) and a few other pointers but that piercing advice came a bit late. That and lazy azz not putting on my left hand glove. I knew better, I deserved it. Rolling Eyes
TuscaloosaQ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16 13 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great looking job on your builds Wreckless
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31 13 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit late but Thank You TQ! Very Happy
Well, I got her back in the shop for a short time so just a quick update. I finished the strapping on the doors. I pre-formed the straps to the I.D. of the cooker and FB. Being that this was a pipe build cooker and not having bell ends to get in the way, I was able to get my 36" adjustable clamps onto the cooker over the straps and tack them in place with the doors shut allowing for a nice fit up with the cooker and FB shell. Still a bit wary of a full weld out on the straps. The shell is .375" wall but the straps are so tight as of now that I am leary of inviting Murphy into the fray. The cooker cleanout / grease removal door was put on while I was in the neighborhood. Still deciding on my approach to a latch.

I got the grates for the cooker built as well. While the bottom grate has a center support, the top grate is a full floater. I was contemplating running the center braces lengthwise for strength but after way to much time pondering between length or width, I went with a tried and trusted route. If they look familiar well...Thanks Kevin! Both grates use 1/4" thk angle, side by side braces corner welded and stitch along the seams, top and bottom. Pretty stout.

Well...time to park her out on the front slab for a spell to make way for a couple of Wreckless specials. She should be cooking by T-Giving tho she prolly won't be mobile. Slow and Steady... Wink Very Happy
TrailerBuilder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31 13 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this thread like a joke or what? Its up to 2 pages and with you still adding pics Surprised Normally you start off by showing a pile of metal and 4 pictures later the finished product. This pit is done isn't it?? Your just teasing and dragging it out a bit, trying to get a k.a.m. type thread with like 30,000 replies Wink Laughing

The pit is looking great Mike and Im sure you've been cooking on it for months Laughing BUT, I do look forward to seeing it all painted up and smokin Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: