FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UDS w/ Weber Lid Size Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mopar440_6

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17 13 9:28 am    Post subject: UDS w/ Weber Lid Size Questions Reply with quote

Hey all, I decided that before I go all out and build up the 100 gallon propane tank RF, I should probably get some "seat time" with something a little more cost effective. So, I picked up two drums last weekend. They're not food grade but they only held steel abrasive blasting shot so they should be fine after a good wash with simple green and a good burn.

Anyway, my question is for those of you who have a UDS with a Weber kettle lid. The drums measure 23-3/8" OD at the rim. I believe I saw a post that said the Weber 22.5" kettles are 23" OD.
-Are these drums a different size because they aren't food grade or is a modification still required to use a Weber lid on any drum? (I know mods are required for other brand lids)
-Is anyone willing to take some measurements of their drum for me?
-Should I just stop asking stupid questions and just weld in a lip for the lid to sit on? Razz

Also, the drums measure 22.5" ID and IIRC the Weber grate is 21.5" OD. That would lead me to believe that my grate supports should be at least 1" in length (to allow some overlap).
-How long are your grate supports?
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17 13 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are about 5 or 6 standard sizes for drums.

55 Gallon US = 200 L or 44 Gallon IMP.

They are different heights and diameters, but they give you the same volume!

So if you have a lid, try and fit it, you want to have it drop over the lip at the top of the drum... if it doesn't fit, then you'll need to add something, flat bar or top of the bottom part of a kettle.

But without seeing the drum and the lid, it's almost impossible to give you any better advice except, try it and see!

I still work here!
Cat797
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17 13 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mopar,

I've built two with Weber lids and I did each one a bit different.

On my first one, I am using my current 22.5 OTG grill lid, so I didn't want to mess it up. On this UDS, I welded a 10ga piece of 1.5" flat stock on the inside of the barrel sticking up. I then used black RTV silicon sealant to hold some rope gasket to it to provide an air tight seal. This works pretty good.

On the second one I built, it was for a buddy who salvaged a weber lid from the trash. On his, the lid almost fit the diameter of the drum, so I used a mallet to modify the weber lid and take the lip most of the way out so that the lid fits down on the drum. If you choose this method, work slowly and patiently around the lid so as not to mess up the flatness of it. This one works decent too, but we need to add some sealant to the flat part of the weber lid that is sitting on the drum. It leaked a little on the test run, but not bad enough to effect temperatures. I have not provided pics of this unit yet, but I have of mine, which is in my signature.

In my opinion, both work well. If you want to keep the integrity of your lid, then you are going to need to add some flat stock to the inside of the drum.

Keep us posted......

Ed
Weber 22.5 Performer
Pappy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17 13 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went to pick out a drum I took the weber lid with me and pick out the oue that fit the best. The guy had 20 drums to pick from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: