FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help my mind is blown

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kclineman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02 13 11:53 pm    Post subject: Need help my mind is blown Reply with quote

Hey all I can't figure out a solution to my problem. I'm running a rf trailer pit with a stoker system. I've got good tel-tru thermometers. I was getting different reading between the tel-trus and stoker at my last competition. Last night I checked calibration on my tel-trus and found I was running 12 degrees hotter than the dials were reading. I made no adjustment to them because i cant break the nut loose on the back. I feel like its gonna break. Next I checked my stoker and it was only 3 degrees off. Now I'm cooking a brisket and stoker pit probe is 1.5" away from my tel-tru probe. Tel-trus are reading 245 and my stoker is reading 290! I can't figure out what is going on. Can anybody help.
Tom C
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03 13 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the same thing with tel-tru thermometers. Unfortunately I think it means quality control is not very good at their factory! Also, to my knowledge you can't calibrate tell-tru thermometers.

I've had much better luck with accuracy with much cheaper units.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03 13 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are TelTru's that you can calibrate, but it's a small percentage of their product line, NOT all of them.

Make sure to check which ones you have and whether they are adjustable or not.

Buy yourself a couple of cheap shelf thermometers from WalMart $4.00 a piece, stick them on the grates wait until the pit is up to temperature and map out the pit temperatures, then you know what's running where when you are reading the therm's.

Once you know what the grate temperature is along the whole pit, as it relates to ONE of the thermometers on the outside, then run everything off that ONE thermometer.

Don't get overloaded with too much information!

I still work here!
FourEyes45

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03 13 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 4 new trutels and 3 out of 4 are 9-20 degrees off....Ugh.
Wreckless
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03 13 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these door therms? By not being able to break the nut off I am guessing so. How did you re calibrate them? Curious..
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03 13 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kclineman, so you checked your Tel-Tru therms in boiling water or against your stoker?
It is not uncommon for door therms to read colder than actual grate temps are running due to their location. My digital therms make 15° to 25° degree changes sometimes and my door therms never move.
I run six Tel-Tru therms on my comp trailer, there is about 1.5° to 2° difference in them.

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: