FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoking turkey
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joelocalguy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20 13 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheTony wrote:
Does anyone brine AND inject?

Yes. I do it with the Eldon's product. It contains Nitrates which is essential to getting a finished turkey that will not make people sick. They are done when they are 162 degrees.
I smoke turkeys that are 18 to 20 pounds. It takes 11 hours. They come out very juicy. I've been doing it that way for 15 years and nobody has gotten sick.
I learned long ago about nitrates/nitrites when making smoked sausage. It is necessary when temps are between 70 and 130 degrees and low O2 levels (smoke).
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20 13 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edouble33, I cook my birds in a roasting pan so when the bird reaches my desired color I sometimes foil tent the bird if it has a way to go. This way the bird stays pretty much the color I want while finishing.
The tent process is usually the last 45 min. to and hour then it stays tented when taken off the cooker to rest about 30 min before carving.

Hybrid Cooker
MGeslock
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20 13 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to play too....

I brine. Coat with veggie oil and put your rub on.
I like a bit of water in the pan to make gravy.

If they are getting dark.... bring out the foil and cover 'em up.

I like 325-350 because of the color.

daddiomiller

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20 13 5:57 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks to all for taking the time to help. I wasn't planning on doing a brine until I read all the responses. So I think I'm going to try Smokin Okies holiday brine and make my own injection sauce. Can't wait to get started. Thanks again.
Burnt Endz
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21 13 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do EXACTLY what Petunia said!!!! I butterfly my birds now and will never do a chicken or a turkey another way!!! Juiciest bird you will every sample! I like to apply a rub with a little kick up under the skin and rub the skin with EVOO to get it crispy and golden.

If you want the rub, I'll see if I can find it.
Greg_R
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23 13 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petunia wrote:
Keep the dark meat towards the hot side of your rig.
This is to account for the required temp differential when the meat is done. Another method to accomplish this is to ice the breasts down... the leg meat will start at a higher temperature and they will finish together.
EastTennQcrew
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26 13 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did one on sunday for a friend of a friend. 22lb bird, cleaned, dried, olive oil, and the put rub on it and let sit in fridge for 12 hours. Put on at 270, sprayed butter every hour, took 6 1/2 hours. Placed foil over the breasts at 4 1/2 hours.

Looked very good and the people loved the bird.

RandyE
banditt135

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27 13 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everybody, been a while sense i have messaged on here, but i figured i would put my 2 cents in on this one. Very Happy I have never Brined a Turkey but i do inject it. I use the cajun creole butter, then i put spray butter on the bird, then rub it down with cajun seasoning. I cube up a onion and place that in its cavity, that and a apple. Then i put it in a pan and put it on my UDS at 300-325 for around 7 hours using charcoal and apple chunks. I usually do a 20 or bigger pound bird and they turn out great every time. Cool. This year im not doing one for Thanksgiving, but i will be doing one for Christmas. I hope everybodys birds turn out great!!!
tinovr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28 13 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

granted, I'm no expert and there's far more experience here than I'll ever have, but I'll add my 2 cents...

I cook it just like I'd do in the oven, same temps, etc, only use my WSM with some smoke wood.

I don't understand why one would cook it any differently? It's not like it's a brisket or pork butt where low and slow are used to turn the meat into a tender edible piece. We all know that cooking either of these cuts at typical beef or pork roasting temperatures would yield shoe leather, or charred results. It's the technique that makes the cut fit for human consumption rather than dog food. The poultry doesn't need the low & slow technique.

I once got into an argument with this guy who insisted that "smoking" meant "low and slow" and that I wasn't "smoking" my turkey @350°, I was "smoke-roasting" it. I countered that "smoking" was cooking with wood smoke, regardless of temperature and that "low and slow" was traditional BBQ.

now I'm sure that some here will flame me as some stupid Yankee who knows s--t about BBQ. And as usual, you go with what works for you. But if someone can give me a coherent answer as to why I'd change technique for the same "cut" of meat desiring the same results, I'd be interested in hearing.
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28 13 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a damn "Yankee who doesn't know s--t about BBQ," you make a very good argument. Laughing
LongGone

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28 13 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one thing that needs to be considered in this discussion is what TYPE smoker or pit you are using. A big stick-burning pit moves a lot more air than a traditional oven...causing convection. For those of us using a water-pan type smoker, we might also consider that steam contains many more times the BTUs than the same volume of dry air of a kitchen oven. Drawing any comparison between suggested kitchen oven cook time and temp and that of your outdoor pit or smoker, is probably best to avoid.

Happy Thanksgiving BTW,
LongGone
Frosty
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28 13 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been lucky I guess, but, I've yet to have a dry turkey. I like my old horizontal for smaller (10lb) birds, but, I prefer my UDS for 12-14 pounders. I do not brine,nor inject, ( tried it..saw no real difference) since store birds already have 'solution' in them.
I do run the drum at 300-325'...a half-pan of water does sit right above my fuel basket...and I can do 2 birds at a time.

I did 2 for a party Tuesday night, some guy was licking the pan like a dog Wink

I have tried a lot of different charcoals, cowboy, RO, kingsford...the very best is HUMPHREY LUMP, bar none. I throw some kiln dried 4X4 hunks with the coal.

I'm gonna do our family bird today..I'll try to remember to take some pics...
tinovr
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29 13 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LongGone wrote:
I think one thing that needs to be considered in this discussion is what TYPE smoker or pit you are using. A big stick-burning pit moves a lot more air than a traditional oven...causing convection. For those of us using a water-pan type smoker, we might also consider that steam contains many more times the BTUs than the same volume of dry air of a kitchen oven. Drawing any comparison between suggested kitchen oven cook time and temp and that of your outdoor pit or smoker, is probably best to avoid.

Happy Thanksgiving BTW,
LongGone

I use a dry water pan in my WSM for poultry.
Mr Tony's BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29 13 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here comes a wrench in the coggs....
Just this morning I did 9 - 12 to 14 pound butterballs right out of the bag alongside 1 25 pound bird I had brined for @36 hours in salt, sugar, onion, garlic, basil and some of my own bird rub. Every bird got a dusting of garlic, onion and basil and rub as they went into the Lang in pans with necks and giblets underneath. The big bird got split in half...as the pans filled with natural juices, I pulled them off and placed pans below them to catch any additional drippings and brown bottoms....as birds were panned for customers [ each bird cooked in about 5 hrs at 275-300°] , I mixed the drippings from all the birds, poured some of the drippings into the cavities and covered with foil. I had previously taken half the drippings and added slurry to make gravy and put back in smoker. Each customer also got 2 - 12oz cups of gravy [ not too salty at all ] ONE bird was for me, the rest for customer - both my biz and personal FB pages, along with a couple calls, were all praising how good every bird was!
Point is, they were all damn good!! I had the butterball and a slice of the brined big bird. Similar flavors, all juicy, brine helped big bird stay juicy, small ones were fine with factory brine and seasonings on top and in drippings - all skins had a good flavor and a edible texture. The birds I pre-sliced for customers were set back in some drippings which seasoned the meat that much more, and increased the juiciness that much more [ not that it needed it..]
Sooo...I guess I tried a few methods in one cook, 165# of birds, not a bad one in the bunch. YMMV.
3 hrs in, un panned so bottoms would brown:

no finish pics....sorry....
Being Blessed with income from my passion!
WWW.MRTONYSBBQ.COM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: